Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get snowboarding gear

Options
  • 08-07-2003 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

I am heading over to New Zealand in a couple of weeks and will spending quite a bit of time snowboarding. I thought I might buy a jacket and pants here before I go over..

anybody know if there is anywhere near Dublin selling the stuff at the moment, I thought since it is off season in Europe I might be able to get some bargains...

can anybody help me out?

cheers

Eoin

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Theres only two places to go in Dublin, one is The Great Outdoors and the other is a shop on Wicklow street (on the left as you head to Georges street, quite a ways down too).

Both are expensive.

I'd suggest waiting until you get to New Zealand which I would bet dollars to donuts will be half the price of here.

DeV

ps: I hate you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭uzami

the shop on Wicklow St is Patagonia and it is their only outlet shop for the whole of Europe....their clothing is excellent, excellent quality and the prices (tho' they may seem expensive) are 50% cheaper than buying Patagonia clothing anywhere else in Europe.....

I have used their trousers for 8 weeks boarding over the last two years and cannot reccomend them enough. I also have a couple of their jackets.

http://www.patagonia.com/store/index.shtml have a look at the site before going in to the shop to 'compare' prices!!

Considering that it is in season in NZ, I would probably buy clothing here, as 'in season' resort shopping works out v. expensive..though I haven't shopped in NZ so can't really say....but in Europe you're charged a premium in all the resort shops.

I have bought online from these chaps before, and they are very good.

http://www.blue-tomato.at/shop/frameset.asp?LanguageID=2

They have a sale on at the moment so check them out...

ps I agree with DeVore.....I hate you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭shag

Don't buy so much as a block of wax till you get to NZ. I did 2 seasons there ( '01 & '02) and you'll get much better bargains there . The only place that might come close to it for price is TK Maxx stephens green and Blanchardstown but you'll be lucky to find much in there at this time of year.I haven't tried that patagonia place though so you might wanna check it out .If you 're on a super tight budget you can get silly cheap stuff in NZ if you scrounge around second hand places too. But boarding and sking is huge over there so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding something you can afford without going to "Vinnies" (St Vincent De Paul shops). Before I left I got a top of the line Option board with flow bindings for about 400euros brand new!!You'd be doing very well indeed to get the deck alone for that here. If you tell me where you're going I might be able to point you towards a good shop... let me know. Oh and keep some cash for the end of season half price sales!You're gonna feckin love it there by the way ,if you get powder go hike the toilet bowl in the remarkables it's a winner. Enjoy mate and say hi to Greg in NZ shred in Queenstown from me.

For more shots of our adventures in NZ see
    http://www.planetblunt.co.uk
    and got to New Zealand
    Shaggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bobzee

that was quick!!

thanks everybody for the info...i'll check out Patagonia and see what they have otherwise I'll wait till i get to NZ

I am heading to Christchurch initially and staying with mates there for a couple of weeks..I have a 12 Month visa..so I hope to get round most places in the country..

I haven't boarded in about 5 years..so I am really looking forward to the snow over there..

Pretty cool pics you got there Shag...

thanks again..

P.S. the 'I hate you bit' ..yeah I get that a lot these days for some reason!

• Advertisement

couldn't resist with the photo....hehehe.
    ...only 6 more months till the next season.

Flaine in February.

forgive the quality, screen grab from DV

You'll no doubt be riding Mt Hutt a lot then or MT Shut as the locals call it cos it gets closed for high winds a lot. It is a damn good mountain though apart from the road up. Porter fields is in that area too and is reportedly very good ,It's meant to be excellant for powder days .PF is a club field and theres a lot of them around the top of the south island. Theres heaps of snowboard shops in and around Christchurch about 5 in the city centre. If you're riding Mt Hutt a microfleece balaclava is a good idea to have with you. Theres a indoor skatepark in Methven (the town at the bottom of the hill) so bring your board if you skate & and if you dont........... start now!
    I lived in Auckland ,Wellington and Queenstown mainly when I was there and I'd say Wellington is the best place to move to aftre the snow melts ......it's a great city with nice people.
    Hav heaps a fun eah bro!Everything ends in "eh bro" in NZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jessyj

Nice! I think shag posted something like this last year?

http://www.athleticlothing.com/c-mens-skiing-n-snowboarding.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

jessyj wrote: »
    Nice! I think shag posted something like this last year?

This thread is from 2003!
    try www.irishsnowboards.com these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement