Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IQCLDM2 Review

Options
  • 21-01-1999 2:58pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, let me start by saying I have the highest regard for anyone who takes the time to sit down and make a map. It's long hard work.

Now on to the particular map at hand.
    IQCLDM2 is clearly heavily influenced by androm9, and there is a some wonderful attention to detail in it. The wall hangings are startling and I usually dont even notice them.
    In play terms the level has problems.
    Most of them start and end with the sheer size of the level. Its big. Real Big.
    and bits are boring it has to be said.
    The distance between the two main area is too large really, and the areas thereselves area vast as well, easily as big and bigger then androm9.
    The placement of STUFF[tm] is good with quad near the lg and away from the main areas, allowing players to get back into it, but it is also a reasonably easy spot to camp while waiting for quad, but in general I like the amount and placement of the stuff.
    e1m2 control-freak fans will not be so happy.

I'll keep this short and to the point.
    The level certainly has potential and it IS a first release.
    IMHO it needs drastic tightening and at least 2 sets of teleporters. Perhaps from the 100h to the upper area of the water-rl area. There should be teleports to quad, but not from the main areas, to allow the underdogs to snatch quad if they are paying attention. And one final one from Pent to the upper area of the
    outside-rl for an unpleasant surprise for the guy who will CERTAINLY be camping there. (it has ya, 10 rox and lots of health and its unassailable without a rjump or a very tricky jump from the stairs. He needs to be made felt at least a little unsafe.

The touches like the landing area around the water-rl are excellent. It takes a skilled rjump to get up there and its well designed.
    All I can say is go ron go. This has the makings of a really good biggish war level.
    But it needs a long hard look and some ruthlessness with the delete key :/

For the first map I have seen from Ron I have to say I was well impressed. Seeing IQCL on the wall was a rush too.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

I agree, I was very impressed by the level as a level in general. The only time I ever made a map was a DOOM wad, and it was always high roofs and wide corridors, you don't realize the hassle they create until you play the level and see how too open the whole place is.
    (pause while running around map again)
    On the whole, the design is pretty kewl, one thing I would suggest is when you get the pent and continue past it, (i.e. the left-right turn after it), maybe another corridor should be put in there after the left turn just before the right turn if you know what I mean (i'd say Ron is the only one that does), but it would give the level more intricacy, maybe bring that corridor down that way somehow connecting it to both areas, as the pent is kinda up for grabs for whoever owns the RA-water area.
    I certainly wouldn't be shunning the level yet anyhoo, a bit more work and it could be kewl.

Z.

Advertisement