Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New eircom marketing strategy

Options
  • 08-07-2003 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

I got a 4012 digital cordless telephone through the post today. Only took five days after it was ordered to arrive too.

Small problem. I DIDN'T ORDER IT.

I wonder if eircom got wind of the fact I'm trying to leave them for good and this was a goodbye present. Or more cynically - this is a rather suspect marketing exercise, you didn't want it when we rang you but we'll send it to you away

Anyway, I told them where I live and to come and get it, no way I'm walking down the post office for them even if it is freepost. If they don't collect it I will start charging storage. :D
    Awkward bugger ain't I?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The phrase unsolicited goods springs to mind. Read the small print, you never know, you might be able to just take it off them for free...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Hmmm...

It is illegal to demand payment for unsolicited goods and services.

law is here

Seems they have to get it in 30 days if I give them notice in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Esat sent me a phone when I first switched to them. Obviously I didn't order it but they managed to bill me for it anyway. Got a refund and a few hours free minutes when I acted less than happy. I kept the phone as well. Check your Eircom rental bill when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

i remember from business in school that if you stay quiet from 6 months than you can keep the phone or 1month if you tell them as the other guy said.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

i know this may be alittle off topic but what exactly is the "comfort phone" that eircon seem to charge me 4.10E for on every bill? any way to get rid of it? thankfully only line rental now due to utv....

cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by jackbauer
    i know this may be alittle off topic but what exactly is the "comfort phone" that eircon seem to charge me 4.10E for on every bill? any way to get rid of it?
    The notorious Eircon equipment rental. Take your Eircom handset into Eircon HQ and tell them to take it off your bill. If you don't have an Eircom handset, buy the cheapest one you can find in the shops, dirty it up a bit, and take that back. If they argue with you, cause a scene. Get a receipt. Don't leave until you get one. Cause a scene if necessary. Enjoy.

adam

wonder would i get away with dropping it into an eircon store? i'll give them a bell tomorow for a laugh.

cheers.

wonder would i get away with dropping it into an eircon store? i'll give them a bell tomorow for a laugh.
    I didn't know there were any telecentres left, I thought The Good Sir Knight and Sorearse and their chums needed the firesale to break even. Yes, they should take them back in the store's. If they don't, you know what you have to do.

Sh1t handle by the way. Jack Bauer is a wanker. No offense like.

adam

@jackbauer
    The following takes place in the next 24 hours:

Phone 1901 and say you want to return it. Get them to remove the charge from your bill in future while on the phone to 1901. Get around to returning it if they make it convenient. I dropped mine into an Eircom store (after phoning 1901). I probably needn't have bothered.

You'll pick up better in Argos or another phone-selling shop for under a tenner. With the money you're saving you can buy yourself a phone twice a year, throwing out the old nasty dirty one each time and still be up a few quid. Or just buy one and watch the pennies roll into the piggy bank slowly. Better in your pocket than theirs. If it'll help push you on your way, they put up the cost last year due to the "increased cost of providing the service". It's free money to them after the first few months. Phones are so cheap these days that it makes no sense for anyone to rent one unless you're renting an old payphone (& not really even then).

hey what do u mean jack bauer is a w@nker lol. he is "THE MAN" as eircon are about to find out tomorrow at:

09:00:00

tick

09:00:01

tick

09:00:02

tomorrow is going to be a very long day for eircon
    :D:D

• Advertisement

thanks for the advice guys.thats one less charge on my phone bill.

17:59:58

tick

17:58:59

tick

18:00:00

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I didn't know there were any telecentres left
    Next to the Stephen's Green Shopping Centre in Dublin (if it's been closed in the last few weeks, it's only a phone's throw from thier HQ on St. Stephen's Green).

thanks for the advice guys.thats one less charge on my phone bill.
    nice one.

Take note folks: jackbauer is now paying 4.10 less on his phone bill every two months after taking the easy way out. Examine your bill & see if you're still paying this charge, tell your friends & neighbours etc. It's not an IOFFL issue but it's a saving all the same.

Actually, to hell with it, I'll add it to my sig.

I was being sarcastic Victor. Eircon shifted the telecentre down here a while back and the new owner is ripping it to shreds at the moment. I giggle a little every time I pass. :)

Sceptre, class new sig!

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

Originally posted by Victor
    Next to the Stephen's Green Shopping Centre in Dublin (if it's been closed in the last few weeks, it's only a phone's throw from thier HQ on St. Stephen's Green).

In fact this eircom Store was sold to a new company, 3G. It has now reopened for business.

Originally posted by sceptre
    @jackbauer
    The following takes place in the next 24 hours:

Phone 1901 and say you want to return it. Get them to remove the charge from your bill in future while on the phone to 1901. Get around to returning it if they make it convenient. I dropped mine into an Eircom store (after phoning 1901). I probably needn't have bothered.

You'll pick up better in Argos or another phone-selling shop for under a tenner. With the money you're saving you can buy yourself a phone twice a year, throwing out the old nasty dirty one each time and still be up a few quid. Or just buy one and watch the pennies roll into the piggy bank slowly. Better in your pocket than theirs. If it'll help push you on your way, they put up the cost last year due to the "increased cost of providing the service". It's free money to them after the first few months. Phones are so cheap these days that it makes no sense for anyone to rent one unless you're renting an old payphone (& not really even then).
    It's not nearly as complex as that to remove this rental from your bill. Simply ring 1901 & explain that you have replaced the eircom supplied phone with one that you have bought yourself and they will remove the rental. No need to return phones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by pbirney
    It's not nearly as complex as that to remove this rental from your bill. Simply ring 1901 & explain that you have replaced the eircom supplied phone with one that you have bought yourself and they will remove the rental. No need to return phones!

This is true. Or rather, this is true pending a check of my next bill.

10:07:00

another winback attempt by eircon today.mrs.bauer took the call.they tried to sell their crap dsl.she told em we had gone to utv for broadband.then tried to sell crap cordless phone for "only" 150 euros.got 1 in argos today for 55.sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

tried to sell crap cordless phone for "only" 150 euros

They'll probably send you one anyway now...

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭brian_ire

another tip for you, when you ring up eircom say that you haven't used your eircom phone for a good few years now and say that your dear old mother/wife/karl never checked her bill. with a bit of luck (and some moaning) they should refund you a years worth of the phone rental. worked for me... kind of, well it didn't show up on my bill but that assured me it would

brian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

on a different tack, switched to utv last october and this evening i had my fourth visit from an eircom rep hoping i would switch back.
    amazing i never met a rep before last october.

Originally posted by pbirney
    Oh that's nice. So now it's as easy as ringing 1901 and saying "I don't want to pay you the 4.10 (plus VAT) any more":D

Thanks for that info pbirney. Now no-one has any excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Oh that's nice. So now it's as easy as ringing 1901 and saying "I don't want to pay you the 4.10 (plus VAT) any more":D

It's always been like this, as far as I am aware of. Those crappy Eircom phones are only worth 5 euros anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

then tried to sell crap cordless phone for "only" 150 euros.got 1 in argos today for 55.sigh.

The cordless phones that Eircom sell are actually Siemens, and are pretty much the best cordless phones on the market today. That said, Eircom are charging way way too much for them (you can buy them elsewhere for A LOT less).

Time to repoint that link in your sig sceptre! Good stuff pbirney!

adam

10:07:00

another winback attempt by eircon today.mrs.bauer took the call.they tried to sell their crap dsl.she told em we had gone to utv for broadband.then tried to sell crap cordless phone for "only" 150 euros.got 1 in argos today for 55.sigh.
    Yes, but was the Argos cordless phone you bought digital? At that price it's more than likely that it is an analogue phone. Analogue phones are more prone to radio interference & can be overheard using a radio frequency scanner. It's worth paying the extra money for a secure, good quality digital cordless phone.

No thanks necessary. It's not as if this a ground breaking information. in fact, I assumed that this was common knowledge. I know several people over the past number of years who have rang & cancelled their equipment rental in this manner. AFAIK, none were ever asked to return the rented phone.

Ah, you underestimate us pbirney. Some of us actually enjoyed going into the telecentre to return our phones. I made a whole day of it. :)

adam

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    The cordless phones that Eircom sell are actually Siemens, and are pretty much the best cordless phones on the market today. That said, Eircom are charging way way too much for them (you can buy them elsewhere for A LOT less).

Where?, I figured you could probably be able to get them cheaper over the net, however I haven't been able to track any down. It seems like maybe Eircom have an exclusive deal with Siemens.

The best offer I could find was in Roches Stores where they currently have a 20% of sale on them.

BTW does anyone know if SMS works on them over the Esat CPS service?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Ah, you underestimate us pbirney. Some of us actually enjoyed going into the telecentre to return our phones. I made a whole day of it. :)
    I made something of a ceremony of returning mine as well. Wrapped it up neatly, enclosed my name and account number on a slip of paper above "Returned. Unwanted!", got a receipt and so on. Ah, 'twas worth it. "What should we do with it?" "Don't care" Should have bought a cape to throw dramatically over my shoulder when leaving.

(yeah, I know they didn't care. But life really has so few simple pleasures)

Advertisement