Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xp2600 overclock

Options
  • 08-07-2003 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭

k i got an athlon xp 2600+ 333fsb with a standard fan and heatsink. i also got 512mb pc2700 ram. Ive already tweaked the ram as described in the toms hardware guide how to, but im not too sure about overclocking the cpu. If i increase the external clock do i need to decrease the ram ratio? also if ne1 has basically the same rig as me how far did u overclock urs while retaining stability? the multiplier is 12.5, teh only change i made was up it to 13, but then i wussed out and left it at that :) How far shud i b able to go safely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Hey, post your motherboard aswell as some mobo's are unstable over 180mhz, some only allow low level multipliers ie less than 12.5 (doesent seem to effect urs).

Have heard of people getting 2500mhz + out of the Xp2600+, but i doubt you'l be that lucky. Realistically your looking at 2300mhz ish.

You have Pc2700 ram which means 166mhz FSB, depending on what ram you have it may be stable up to 180\190mhz - if your lucky.

Id recomend mabye FSB @ 200mhz and multiplier @11 or 11.5 and ram ratio 4:5. Might have to up the Vcore and RAM voltage a bit. Dont go over 1.8V or it will lessen the life of your CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

my mainboard is one of those Abit NF7 ultra 400's http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=36075&t=845&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=10&GrpID=5&s=pl
    and i know this is gonna sound totally n00by, but why reduce teh multiplier? does that make it more stable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The higher the FSB is running the more advantage it is to other components, the multiplier is just increasing the CPU speed. Basicly your system will perform better if you increase your CPU FSB and lower your multiplier. AFAIK. - takes better advantage of your RAM etc.

Have heard also of people having stability probs with going over 12.5 multiplier. Even going FSB to 180Mhz X 12.5 multiplier would be nice, really you should find what your Ram will be stable at and work off that FSB (upping the ram voltage one notch when u find that level). And then tweak the multiplier.

Putting the FSB to 200Mhz x 11, was just a nice round figure as the other method is a little more time consuming - but results are better.

Advertisement