Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's Mare?

Options
  • 08-07-2003 4:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a little jealous of the British and Americans. Each country has it's own unique version of a classic book series: In the US it's called Where's Waldo? and in the UK they have Where's Wally? I think we should have our own version, and as luck would have it, I just noticed the other day that good old Mary Hanafin has been our magnificently effective e-Minister now for a whole year; so I propose that the Irish version be called Where's Mare?

Let's all play a game of Where's Mare? right now! It's really easy to play: All you have to do is open up Google and find examples of how brilliant Mare is at being e-Minister. There's must be tons of examples out there!

Off you go now, everybody can play! Where's Mare?

wheres-mare.png

adam

I posted this here so everyone can play!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'll start the game! This is how Mare got her job!

e-minister-wanted.png

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

I found her launching some software.
    Our goal is to build the capacity necessary to support inclusive Information Society development, to facilitate access and to actively promote participation. We are particularly working to develop coherent strategies to promote participation among those on low-income and late adopters. My officials are presently undertaking a review of all e-inclusion initiatives in the State to date, and will be making recommendations for a more enhanced e-inclusion strategy which focuses in particular on the late adopters of ICTs, the e-excluded.
    from http://www.maryhanafin.ie/i3gdit.htm

I'd like to propose a prize for the first person to get an e-minister to use the phrase "e-taker" in an e-appropriate e-context.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

How did she get an .ie domain? ... dont you have to be a company to do that? ... is Mary Hanafin a company? .. if it was it would be out of business by now .... useless fecker

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I found her launching the Intellectual Disability
    And Allied Libraries website http://www.idaal.com/ in March.
    Last month, I visited St. Joseph’s House for Adult Deaf and Deafblind in Stillorgan and I was particularly struck by how they were using Information and Communication technology (ICTs). Previously, deafblind residents could not access realtime Irish news. They only had news, that was one month old, that had to come from the UK and that was the content of newspapers from England. Now, by using ICTs, they can print off in braille the daily news from Irish newspapers. Understandable, it has made an enormous difference to them, their lives and to the lives of people around them.

Our deafblind friends at St Joe's will be delighted to find that both http://www.idaal.com/ and http://www.maryhanafin.ie failed the disability (accessibility) tests that I put them through. No section 508 compliance for Mary.

The development of the Information Society opens up new economic development opportunities, such as the emerging Digital Media Industry. It is my goal, as the Minister of State responsible for co-ordinating policy in this area, that we ensure that Ireland remains at the cutting edge.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA...

HAHHAHAHHAHAH....HAHAHHAHHHHAHAAAA!!!!!!!....

..HAHAHHAHHAHHAHAAAAA!!!!

Ohh...I hurt laughing...please make her stop....

oh please...cutting edge... !!!

cutting edge...of quasi-third world infrastructures, seven years behind the rest of europe...

cutting edge...me hole.

• Advertisement

I'd like to propose a prize for the first person to get an e-minister to use the phrase "e-taker" in an e-appropriate e-context.

Indeed. I'll put up a prize of an Eircom Net CD (for use as a coaster, frisbee or table balancer) for the first person to Find Mare doing anything but "launching" or "visiting" something. Mare can claim the prize if she, like, gives a fiver to her local WAN or something.

adam

'Bribing' children...????

wellldonemuppet.jpg

[ I love the child in corner saying "muppet" in Madsl's one. ]

I thought these were particularly appropriate...
    adam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Originally posted by MadsL

cutting edge...of quasi-third world infrastructures, seven years behind the rest of europe...

[/B]

I think you'll find we a fair bit behind some so called 3rd world countries :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

It is entirely apt that the E-Tub of Europe ®®™ک©™ has an E-Tubbie of the calibre of Mary Hanafin guiding the tiller for us all.

Here are some of its wise words on the "Information Society"

Dáil Éireann
    19 June, 2002 Questions.

"The second Government action plan on the information society, New Connections, was published in April this year. The plan sets out the Government's strategy to ensure Ireland establishes itself as a leading location for e-business and knowledge based economic activity and that our development as an information society is inclusive. "

yeah.

Simon Coveney then asked her one of these What do you actually DOOOOOOOOO Mary kinda questions.

Dáil Éireann
    04 March, 2003 Questions.

"Mr. Coveney: Will the Minister of State outline her responsibilities, as Minister for e-government, in ensuring that the recommendations of the December report are implemented? Second, what are her views on the fact that a recent World Economic Forum report ranked Ireland 51st in a global ranking of broadband availability? To put that in context, we are behind countries like Latvia, Hungary, Turkey, Guatemala, Botswana, Peru, Tunisia, Slovenia and Namibia.

Ms Hanafin: My role involves monitoring progress in implementing the new action plan on the information society, New Connections, and we have just issued our first progress report on that plan. There are seven strands within it: telecommunications infrastructure, the legal and regulatory environment, e-government, e-business, research and development, lifelong learning and e-inclusion. In handling those I deal with different Ministers but it is important to point out that individual Ministers retain responsibility for those [831] individual areas, which is why the question the Deputy raised on broadband is one he can raise in a few minutes with the Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources, who has direct responsibility for this area."

In plain English Mary told us that she is responsible for nothing bar some'"monitoring"

What a useless waste of space .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

DeVore isn't here so we'll have the Sceptre Translation Service™ instead:

Simon Coveney: "Mary, just what do you do?

Mare: "Well, I'm in charge of monitoring e-things. I watch people dig holes and file things on those computer gadgets"

Simon Coveney: "And how many holes have you seen dug this year?"

Mare: "Not including the Department of Finance... erm... Well, none, I monitor. I don't want to step on anyone's toes."

Simon Coveney: "So you're into voyerism. We've a crap infrastructure and it's getting worse isn't it?"

Mare: "I've got nice new glasses. Can you just put 'e-' in front of everything I just said? Bertie thinks it sounds sexy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

/me couldn't put it better Sceptre but I thought I should let the useless bag speak for herself as it were.

poor Simon, it was like trying to shovel u know what with a toothpick.

M

oneeach.jpg

99redballons.jpg

Mare does what she does best and 'launches' FF's 99 Red Balloons e-strategy. Anyone finding one of the 99 gets broadband.*

** providing they live in South Dublin and pass a stringent line check, breath test and promise to vote FF for the rest of their natural.

Is this turning into b3ta?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

bog off back to Tipperary Hanafin

In fairness to the woman at least she isn’t showing favoritism to her home county there aint one enabled exchange anywhere in Tipperary.
    Shes made it all the way to the big ol city where she cant hear the screaming of the lambs anymore:rolleyes: .

God, she is scarily bad when unscripted. Clueless..

Read this interview

I really love the response to this:

CIB: What about all the dark fibre still lying in the ground? Have we given up on that?

MH: "Well, yes, there's all that, but you see at one stage I think there was the view that broadband was the answer to everything, right? Now, people are saying that broadband is only one element of it and that wireless will answer other elements, right? We have pilot projects going on with wireless as well - I think there are seven of those going on around the country. Dermot Ahern is responsible for that. But at least he's looking at all of the various options and the whole wireless Lan issue is quite high on his agenda as well as broadband."

Clueless....but hey at least...
    Oh, I'm well able to juggle,'' said Hanafin, looking relaxed

MeHat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

heeee heeee ... I vote http://members.boards.ie/madsl/MeHat.jpg as funniest pic of the week!.. fair play Madsl

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Someone post these pic's to the Phoenix magazine...it's the type of thing they love.
    DB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Why not put all these wheres Mary pics onto a website, get people to link to it and hopefully when you search for mary Hannafin the website will come up first ?

:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Perhaps Mary and Negroponte should shack up together. She seems to mutter his lingo...

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

"No section 508 compliance for Mary."

God that’s depressing, I’m testing 508 compliance of e-learning tuff right now, getting a website to be JAWS compatible and keyboard friendly isn’t rocket science.

Some people refer to Armagh as the 'Bandit County' but I think we should just start calling Ireland 'Bandit Country' and have done with it. Actually now I think about it the bad guy from Blazing Saddles reminds me of Bertie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Due to recent events perhaps it would be appropiate to park this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Originally posted by Dangger
    Due to recent events perhaps it would be appropiate to park this thread?

Could u please inform us for those that don't have access :)

Tribunal lawyer dies suddenly

15:51 Thursday July 17th 2003

The husband of Fianna Fail chief whip Mary Hanafin has died suddenly. Senior Counsel Eamon Leahy was in his mid forties. Justice Minister Michael McDowell is paying tribute to Mr Leahy, who he says was a brilliant lawyer who exemplified the best in the profession he loved. He served as a member of the Release of Prisoners Commission and the Expert Group appointed to consider changes in criminal law recommended in the Garda SMI report. Mr Leahy was also chairman of the Legal Aid Board.
    I'd say just lock it for a week or so.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I'd say just lock it for a week or so.

adam
    Done. Obviously politics and criticism move on but laying off for a bit is appropriate.

I've had some amount of respect for Eamon Leahy - he was one of the best of Ireland's members of the evil profession for the right reasons (and coming from me talking about lawyers that's actually quite a compliment). We're worse-off for having lost the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Decided to kick things off again.

Visited www.maryhanafin.ie and saw an ugly site

Validate maryhanafin.ieand also validate www.maryhanafin.ie/home.htm There are 7 errors and it has an encoding problem that the validator doesn't understand...

For an E-Minister with a page that doesn't validate. Thats like a Minister for Finance abolishing betting tax and getting a 1/4 of a million betting tap from Paddy Power's surely ;)

Advertisement