Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Spam Filter

Options
  • 08-07-2003 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭

Lo folks, hope this is the right forum.

Am looking for an affordable (ie not stupidly overpriced) spam filter for the office i work in.

It needs to be compatible with Exchange5.5/Outlook2000.

I've done some googling but i havent a clue what Spam Filters are any good and which are utter tripe.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

www.spampal.org is what i use. Freeware and it works very nicely. Get the bayesian plugin and within a few days itll be killing all your spam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

We use a combination of filters for all our shared clients. The Bayesian filters can be good, but they usually aren't enough. By combining a number of systems together you can get a nicely balanced mix that will catch over 90% of SPAM.

To save on bandwidth you should really consider having the mail cleaned before transferring it to the local mailserver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

bandwidth isnt really a problem here as we only a 1meg dsl line which is only used for mail/googling ;)

Thanks for response, ill look into the one you suggested

Have a look at MailScanner which is available on most platforms

Thanks Blacknight, looking into em :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Druid

For a project recently I made a Bayesian Spam Filter. These are the way to go in the future. If you want to go bleeding edge I highly recommend CRM114.

Im currently trying to bring in the techniques used in CRM114 into my own filter.

If your more "on its worked for them it should work for me" then the best out there (other than my own filter of course ;) is spambayes.

There are of course overheads to using bayesian filters. You need to train them, most if not all filters now will learn from a corpus and then update itself automatically from the newly classified mails. With CRM114 in particular the size of the corpus can be extremely small.

The only problem I can see is that you use exchange and its oh so nice MAPI - I doubt you will find too many free filters that deal with this protocol.

Anyway, hope you have plucked some information from the above rambling.

In essence: Bayesian good, rest ok.

- Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Druid
    The only problem I can see is that you use exchange and its oh so nice MAPI - I doubt you will find too many free filters that deal with this protocol.
    Are there any spam filters that will work with exchange? in the last 3 weeks I am getting the $hit spammed out of me ...(I never use my work email for signing up for anything etc .. only internal mail, I'd love to know how they harvested my email, no doubt some idiot forwarded outside ....

or if you mail is on a website somewhere.

Thanks for reply Druid, i havent gotten round to trying the suggested filters as yet but im gonna stick some time aside soon and get it done. I'll see what works and what doesnt.

The spam filter im looking for doesnt have to be free, i just dont want it costing hundreds of euros ;) (not my money but i still got explain why it cost so god damn much )

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

I use SpamAssassin , seems to be pretty good for my needs!! :)

Originally posted by deepspeed
    I use SpamAssassin , seems to be pretty good for my needs!! :)

It's not a bad start, but we found that adding a few other things made a BIG difference, thence our choice of the Mailscanner (which does work with most MTAs)

• Advertisement
Advertisement