Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Disk Question

• 08-07-2003 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting THIS but i am told that win xp doesnt the see 160gig, it only
    see's 137gig, and that a PCI controller is need. is this true for 160gig or is it for 200gig or both?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

XP isn't the problem, Its AMD!!

If you have an intel rig don't worry about it. If you have an AMD rig your gonna have to use a controller card!

Also because its 1024MB to a GB. You will have ~156MB

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

Originally posted by stereo_steve
    XP isn't the problem, Its AMD!!

Why is this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Its a problem with the IDE controllers on the AMD motherboards aparently and has caught alot of people out. Maxtor have a software solution as far as im aware. Most people just get a seperate IDE controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

****en AMD...so backward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

not only amd....

200gb intel 2ghz machine in here only see's 128gb. Motherboard sees it but windows 2000 doesnt. Its a mixture between the two.

Possible fixes for Intel machines at least are upgrade to latest service pack or (as you said) get a pci controller which supports 48 lba (or sommet ;) )

PCS controller cards only cost about €30+VAT for an oldish model, they also increase your hard drive transfer speed(more consitantly top speec) as it goes over a faster bus. (I/O instead of regular).

It is more common on AMD machines tho more cos the motherboards then the CPU afaik. (had to look into this recently)

• Advertisement
Advertisement