Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FS on menus

Options
  • 08-07-2003 8:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Any chance you could switch For Sale to General For Sale in the menus, and add Mobile Phones? I keep clicking on For Sale and screaming GAH at my rig. The neighbours are complaining.

Also, what are the odds of getting the menus to use the vBulletin sort orders?

adam
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

No, they should have it like this :

Classifieds

Accommodation
    Bargains
    For Sale >> General
    >> Mobile Phones
    >>Trading Books/Games/DVD's
    Wanted
    Work

They should have the Arrow going accross to reveal the three categories of For Sale (just like they have the arrow for Languages in the Red bar along the top of each screen)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Don't really care where they go really as long as something is done to counter my GAHing at the screen.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Don't really care where they go really as long as something is done to counter my GAHing at the screen.

adam

Put some gaffer tape over your mouth.

Job oxo.

.logic.

And it would solve so many other problems too! Now to find a way to stop me typing! :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by dahamsta
    And it would solve so many other problems too! Now to find a way to stop me typing!
    Gaffer tape on hands :rolleyes:

:)

• Advertisement

boink

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Menu system will remain unchanged, its been done this way on purpose.

Thx

Vex.

May I ask why?

adam

Its allows us to emphasise the No Traders rule and also to remind people to read the rules.....

Thx

Vex.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Vex, simple solution, put a sticky or an announcement at the top in these forums saying "NO TRADERS / READ RULES HERE".

I think there should be a category, to be consistent.

dahamsta - vB order, why! That would be a mess, isn't it more logical to have it alphabetical?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Vexorg
    Its allows us to emphasise the No Traders rule and also to remind people to read the rules.....

I don't see how hiding the phones board on the drop down menus makes people read the rules.

I thought the drop down menus were for ease of navigation.

Surely when the board is not really listed it becomes frequented by only thos ein the know who lets face it are people who while not traders still frequently change phones.

WE already know that people dont read the stickys... they appear to read the notice regarding the no traders and read the rules the way it is laid out now...

Anyone who clicks the for sale link will see "for sale" and "phones" its no more hidden than the general for sale forum, its not just to emphasise no traders its also says read the rules, ... it was the simplist solutions when we know that stickies are not read! Since the change there has been a slight increase in the number of views of the rules so it would appear to have been working

Looks like somone went and changed it anyway even after I said it would not be changed... whats the point in trying different ays to bring the rules to peoples attention within the confines of the bulletin board setup.

Vex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I have to agree with Vex on the way the menu system is (was)implemented. People don't read stickeys. Either that or they just ignore them.

Intially it was good to have people see the notice regarding the no traders and read the rules when they first used the forum. It gave that extra lickle kick. Now w'll just have to wait and see how many newbies get banned.

And if the menu sytem really bothered you why didn't you add the forums to ur subscribed list? And is that extra click that annoying?

And if the menu sytem really bothered you why didn't you add the forums to ur subscribed list?

I did. I didn't want to at the time because I don't visit it /that/ often, maybe once a day if even that. I'm only subbed now because I'm trying to shift some stuff.

And is that extra click that annoying?

Yes, it was. Small things annoy people, haven't you noticed? Obviously it didn't annoy many others so I wouldn't have whined about it if Cloud hadn't done it.

For what it's worth, I see your point about the rules.

adam

Originally posted by Cloud
    dahamsta - vB order, why! That would be a mess, isn't it more logical to have it alphabetical?
    Well, yes, but then it would be more logical for the vB listings to be alphabetical too, right? :)

Seriously though, sometimes I use the menus and sometimes I use the crumbtrail and I occasionally find myself clicking the wrong forum because of the different sort orders and cursing at the monitor. It's just another one of those minor annoyances. :)

adam

Originally posted by Vexorg
    Looks like somone went and changed it anyway even after I said it would not be changed... whats the point in trying different ays to bring the rules to peoples attention within the confines of the bulletin board setup.

Someone=me, sorry Vex, I hate inconsistencies and I feel that with the number of forums we have, if you can't have a standard method of navigating through them, then it will become a mess. I also am not sure about the Debating Chamber and Komplett structures so it's not just FS I feel strongly about...

Since there is already a message being displayed for any posts in the FS forum, can't we add something to that to say NO TRADERS - that way no matter how you navigate in, as soon as you post you will be warned - doesn't get much better than that?

Im not going to get into an arguement here about it, we tried that 6 months ago! it didnt work, what we were doing was working, we are now back to where we started.

Vex.

Well, we can go back the new way you had it too, it just means we'll have to do up descriptions for all the forums, else it looks a bit odd... However, I think a much better option would be to introduce a "Please note that no traders are allowed to sell wares on this forum. You are now being redirected to the forum." 2 second redirect.

The redirect was also requested to a page with a I confirm I have read the rules and am aware of the consequences of breaking the rules with an I agree and I disagree button

however, when you are told that cant be done you dont persue the idea any further.... I was informed that no more new hacks would be put on the forums until v3 was in place and V3 would have lots of handy admin features so wait and see whats there before planning any furher changes, so we were working within the constraints of the forums.

Im tired of having to explain myself, so I've stepped down as mod of the classifed forums, any changes you make in future, please run them by the mods, Blade and Keeks.

PS you have an unread pm, please read the part about other forums I mod.

Vex.

Sorry Vex, it's probably best that I don't use my admin powers for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I meant to get in touch a while ago and suggest a sub-menu rather than having to navigate through another page to get to the general for sale board but yiz beat me to it.
    And now it's gone again! What's going on?

It's my fault, all my fault. I caused a personality clash, I inflated Cloud's anal retentiveness to hitherto unknown levels, pushed Vexorg over the brink of Mod Madness, created a rift in the very fabric of Boards. I'm sorry, so sorry.

adam /sobs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

You go girl! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

AHA!

And there was I thinking it was something simple :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Tha forum is more trouble than its worth. The poor mods are run ragged trying to keep it under control. When is cloud going to start using his superhuman mod powers again and has vext really retired due to stress. These questions need to be answered as we are currently in limbo waiting for the next installment.

Advertisement