Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss Button

Options
  • 08-07-2003 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

I was thinking, because a large amount of boards users who spend all day in work digging through boards would it be an idea to have a boss button?

For you newb's a boss button was a button(surprise surprise), in a game (early DOS days) when you hit it in a game a crappy boring looking spreadsheet or something would open up, so it looked like you where working instead of playing games when the boss manages to creap up on you leaving you no time to exit the game!

I know you can simply flick windows these days - but boards.ie appears on the start bar, and if you ever go to anyone elses machine you always scan it to see whats open. Also if you have typed up a nice reply, havn't finished yet, and the boss performs an ambush, you won't have to close down the window and loose what you typed. If the boss page was of simular design to the boards.ie skin you use, if the boss see's you're surfing something, and decides to take a strole, upon further inspection he would see the good little dedicated employee busy looking up technet stuff, so he can learn how to do his job better or a windows troubleshoot page so it looks like you are trying to fix something himself rather than spurting you're usual crap on a bulletin board.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

lol. sounds like a good idea. help people do even less work because of boards.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Boards.ie and pr0n sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

This is why I use the minimilist skin. It makes boards look like any other web config interface. Well apart from the avatars and sigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Set your taskbar to autohide (or just drag it off the screen) and use window button+M to minimise everything super speedy

/me browses boards mostly from home & doesn't give a flying monkey what anyone sees though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

If you have your taskbar set to autohide, they would know you're hiding something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ah, makes sense. There must be a browser out there that automatically minimises to the bottom right of the screen as a small icon? Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

I love this idea. But usually I just hide the taskbar and do the windows key and M. Works well enough, anyway I wana get the sack so.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

You could use GhostZilla

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

I remember there was a little program called hide It, where you could put such things.
    i placed an icon in the area beside the clock(whatever that area is called) and you could "hide" the windows you didnt want seen there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Yeah, but the point is that alot of offices are open plan, so your monitor is open to the whole room if you're in a crap seat... so the boss see's that you are surfing - and if the window is gone by the time he gets to you - then they know you where messing about.

But, what if there was a page called with info like "How to double productivity' or something, which was in the same style as boards he'd think you're a good little employee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by amp
    This is why I use the minimilist skin. It makes boards look like any other web config interface. Well apart from the avatars and sigs.

you can turn those off

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

i had a summer job last year.returned to it a few weeks ago to find that i was still logged into boards.

dont think theres any need for a button.just have somethin in the task bar and click on that.its easier then tryin to find the other button.say if its on the top of the page and your reading posts down the bottom,you'd have to scroll up to the top then click it.

besides not everyones job involves spreadsheets or whatever you would put as the page.and your boss would get a bit suspicious if everytime he/she walked in you were reading the same spreadsheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

ALT-F4 ?

Or just have a dos box maximised and flip it over.

Or tell the boss you are looking up a problem on boards.ie

If you work in such a restrictive environment, odds on your boss already has spyware on your machine or a way to read the cache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

What you really need are eyes in the back of your head and really good hearing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Kalina
    What you really need are eyes in the back of your head and really good hearing! :)
    Or a good work ethic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Am I the only one that is unable to comprehend what Victor just posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Gordon
    Am I the only one that is unable to comprehend what Victor just posted?
    If you had a good work ethic, you wouldn't be playing games / spamming boarsd and hence wouldn't need a boss button.

Advertisement