Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Daily Dead.....

Options
  • 08-07-2003 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

That Is All....

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

After they staked alot of resources on the Dublin Football team, their exit from the championship on Staurday must be of been the final nail in the coffin.

THe whole launch and short life of the paper is a bit of an urban legend.

Maybe 10 years down the line we'll all be in a pub saying...
    "Do you remember the Dublin Daily!?"

ODD!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Was it ever alive? Did anyone actually buy it?

Did it have inside pages ;) - I only ever saw the front cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

so its all Tommy Carrs fault. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Victor
    Was it ever alive? Did anyone actually buy it?

Did it have inside pages ;) - I only ever saw the front cover.

I bought the second issue which for some reason was on sale in my local Centra (like ppl in Waterford were interested!) and having given it my full consideration, decided it was good chip wrapper but nothing more. I can't think of the last time a new paper became properly established bar Today which had, at the time, an ace up its sleeve - fuzzy colour! Even that was a basket case for several years before the plug was pulled.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Bought it once, because it had a free dvd of all the goals from the World Cup in Korea and Japan.
    I'd say the cost of all those dvds might have helped put them under.
    I don't think I even bothered to read the paper when I bought it that time, only cost 50c I think too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It was too like the Evening Hearld. But a little more magazinee. I also thought it was funny finding it Waterford as I don't think many culchies would be proud to walk out of a shop with a newspaper with dublin in the title, but then their happy to prop up all the English tabloid trash.

I think they should have gone after that market rather then the Hearld or the Indos markets. It also didn't make much of an impression. But then what do I know I think Ireland On Sunday was better when it started out now look at it the most Trashyist Irish newspaper on the market.

They invested to much in Dublin Daily how can smaller newspapers survive and local ones and a semi national one cann't. I mean do you ever read the Northside People or the Southside People which then are divide into west and east editions. And what about the other weekly free local paper. How do they survive? Advertising.

The examiner prob slagged it off about the amount of name changes it had. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Elmo
    The examiner prob slagged it off about the amount of name changes it had. :D

Which examiner...?! :D

Mike.

The Paper, bAAY:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I mean do you ever read the Northside People or the Southside People which then are divide into west and east editions. And what about the other weekly free local paper. How do they survive? Advertising.
    The freesheets go big on advertising and small on overheads (plus they get free distribution in the shops). Most of the actual content is shared and or rehased press releases. O_o that sounds like the Indo :D
    The Paper, bAAY:D
    I think he means the Cork Examiner, The Examiner or the Irish Examiner

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

No..... baaay... D'echo is de paper! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by 80project
    Maybe 10 years down the line we'll all be in a pub saying...
    "Do you remember the Dublin Daily!?"

I'm actually surprised that in all the talking of the demise of the Dublin Daily, that they remember the last paper to collapse, the Evening News, which lasted for 3 months in 1996.

The freesheets go big on advertising and small on overheads (plus they get free distribution in the shops). Most of the actual content is shared and or rehased press releases. O_o that sounds like the Indo

Have you seen the amount of adds in the Brits Tabloids and the Sunday World. Thus they can bring down the price of the papers.
    How much is the Sunday World these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Heh, some bird was supposed to interview me for it, I was wondering why she hadn't called back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by DMC
    I'm actually surprised that in all the talking of the demise of the Dublin Daily, that they remember the last paper to collapse, the Evening News, which lasted for 3 months in 1996.
    No, No - gone but not forgotten !!

Obviously The Evening Press is the most memorable of recent times.

--

BTW, Sorry for your troubles Sico :p

The Evening Press and The Sunday Press going of the market was down to bad management at the company, sales of either had not decreased. You were either a Press person or and Indo person to put another way you were either FF or FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You were either a Press person or and Indo person to put another way you were either FF or FG.
    So what do the FFers read now? The evil blueshirt paper? Some foreign paper with lots of boobies? Can I do the Yes Prime Minister "I know who reads the papers" now?

The Press was a pretty terrible paper (with some good journalists attached) - insert the word "Indo" in place of "Press" for the same effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

How much is the Sunday World these days.

€1.65 (I don't buy it, I work in a shop.)

I have a tendence not to read the Sunday Indo It so sarcastic.

Read the Hearld and the sunday tribune. But then I am not FF and I am also not a west brit.

Advertisement