Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar work.

• 09-07-2003 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

How hard is it to get bar work in inner city Dublin for weekends only and what are the hours and pay like?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Try harcourt street. Places always seem to be looking there.... pay will probably be fairly bad and hours from 8pm - 4am onwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

there are -no- bar jobs in town.
    Was talking to the manager of eamonn dorans yesterday.
    He said it dire in town at the moment, no tourists, so no service industry jobs...
    Everywhere seems to be laying off staff.

Maybe thats just ED's I work in town... goto college in town and there seems to be the usual disgusting amount of tourists getting ripped off :)

You can find bar work, just dont expect it to be a decent wage like most full time bar men.

no actually, theres nothing.
    I know a lot of the managers in bars around town and have worked in a few places over the years for extra cash from time to time, there are -no- bar jobs.
    And I'm a fully trained barman, not some student fluff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Goldberg

So students are automatically referred to as fluff if they are looking for bar work????

Good posting sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Originally posted by fisty
    And I'm a fully trained barman, not some student fluff.

How many years did it take for you to learn;

Pump goes down beer comes out
    pump goes up beer stops

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Yeah, well one of the main jobskills of being a bartender as opposed to a pint puller is to deal with assholes and drunks. Lots of drunks. Nasty drunks, rude drunks, abusive drunks, slobbering drunks, puking drunks, sleeping drunks. Drunks that won't shut
    up, drunks that won't pay for their drinks, drunks that want to fight you and everybody else in the place, and worst of all drunks who are killing themselves by degrees and there isn't anything that anybody can do about it but they sit in front of you night in and night out and you get to help them do it. Dealing with all of that takes a long time to learn, and making just one little mistake can get you badly hurt.

Bartenders deal with them drunks night after night. One of them is probably you on occasion, but as we can't tell how much you've had to drink tonight, let's just mark you down as an asshole.

So your Job is to mind Drunks well done how skilled you must be,if you dont like it get another job.

Sposs, I can see that I have to aim a little lower, my last post clearly went over your head. You probably drink Budweiser so I'll speak slowly. If you haven't the intelligence to see that there is more to being a skilled barman than pulling pints and that the job deserves respect then you are beyond hope. But I see that you are a 'rural chap' and probably have never been in a bar that doesn't sell milk and spuds as well.

Keep pretending people find you funny and you'll be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by MadsL
    Yeah, well one of the main jobskills of being a bartender as opposed to a pint puller is to deal with assholes and drunks. Lots of drunks. Nasty drunks, rude drunks, abusive drunks, slobbering drunks, puking drunks, sleeping drunks. Drunks that won't shut
    up, drunks that won't pay for their drinks, drunks that want to fight you and everybody else in the place, and worst of all drunks who are killing themselves by degrees and there isn't anything that anybody can do about it but they sit in front of you night in and night out and you get to help them do it. Dealing with all of that takes a long time to learn, and making just one little mistake can get you badly hurt.

Bartenders deal with them drunks night after night. One of them is probably you on occasion, but as we can't tell how much you've had to drink tonight, let's just mark you down as an asshole.

so, youre actually a bouncer?

• Advertisement

Sposs, I can see that I have to aim a little lower, my last post clearly went over your head. You probably drink Budweiser so I'll speak slowly. If you haven't the intelligence to see that there is more to being a skilled barman than pulling pints and that the job deserves respect then you are beyond hope. But I see that you are a 'rural chap' and probably have never been in a bar that doesn't sell milk and spuds as well.

Keep pretending people find you funny and you'll be ok.

[Country Accent] Well Holy God aren't you all fine and dandy in your big city with your wine and the like,sure aint there nothing wrong with a fine pint of bud with your spuds in the evening,were not all rich bar-men from the the big smoke[/country accent]

There's a lot more to be done with people before you call the muscle to have them fecked out of it. A bit of diplomacy helps sometimes. Or ignoring them until they get really thirsty!

The problem is in this country is that no-one has much respect for bartenders despite the fact that Irish barmen are first class. No respect here means no-one earns good tips, so bartenders don't make that much. In the US a good nightclub bartender with good cocktail experience can top $100,000 a year.

nothing wrong with a fine pint of bud

No, run that by me again. Can't understand it. Nothing wrong with Budweiser hmmmm...just don't get me started.

make that much. In the US a good nightclub bartender with good cocktail experience can top $100,000 a year.

**** off to America so.

Anyone that works deserves respect, never assume yourself too good for any type of work. Anything can happen , you may need a 3rd job as what you consider the lowest of the low in a couple of years.... or you could be retired after making your mill etc.

all right children, pick up your toys and back into your parms please

I apologise for insulting Budweiser drinkers (they really don't know any better) perhaps Sposs will apologise for dissing all hard-working 'beer-pumpers'.

I was only ever pulling the piss madsl i've worked in a bar meself :)

I dont drink Bud btw tastes like piss.

Damn and there was me thinking that you were a genuine asshole turns out you are just a trolling one...:rolleyes:

actually, sposs is a fabricated asshóle, but hes cute and hes cuddly and very eager to please.
    hes also sensitive, so please treat him nicely.

• Advertisement

hes cute and hes cuddly and very eager to please.
    aww..didumms. Is he old enough to drink?:)

theres more to being properly trained behind a bar than pulling pints.

Although taking the standard of barstaff in ireland into account, I can excuse your ignorance.

Maybe i enjoy being an ignorant arsehole who trolls.

nuff said.

Originally posted by fisty
    nuff said.

Stop Trolling.

a/s/l

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I was a barman for about 5 years and i have to say that its the easiest job i have ever done in my life.
    I don't believe someone should get a tip for pulling my pint(although when i was a barman i would have thought differently lol), thats their job.
    Money was ****e. I have mates still in the trade in Dublin and they are able to find new jobs at will when they feel like a move.
    And with the confrontational (a no no for a bar job) attitude of the barman in here i its no wonder he can't get a job lol.

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    I have mates still in the trade in Dublin and they are able to find new jobs at will when they feel like a move.

Thats another reason I like the work,
    also you'll always have a small skill to fall back on for the rest of your life should the **** ever hit the fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

your right there fisty.But i have feeling there will be a lot of barman when the **** hits the fan.
    you, me and everyone else that ever worked in a bar will all be looking for the same bar jobs :)

If someone doesnt tip you just steal from the register you idiot :P

• Advertisement

the confrontational (a no no for a bar job) attitude of the barman in here

As a bartender and bar manager I've seen (not Dublin admittedly)

1. A place taken apart by the Russian mafia with baseball bats.
    2. A guy getting his face razored.
    3. A girl freaking out and throwing jug handled heavy bottomed beer glasses at the bartender.
    4. A Ukrainian pickpocket freaking out after getting caught and flashing a butterfly knife in a waitresses face.
    5. Same Ukrainian picking a fight with me outside the bar after I barred him.
    6. A guy thrown bodily through a plate glass window.
    7. Another 'heavy-handed' visit by the Russian mafia.
    8. A drunk guy waving a 9mm pistol around in a crowded bar.

Don't tell me;
    a) Bartending is easy.
    b) Confrontational isn't called for sometimes.

Advertisement