Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with AntiVirus

• 09-07-2003 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

sorry about this if it should go some were else, bit was not sure where to post it.

Anyways. I am useing Norton AntiVirus Pofessional ed. Everythning was fine until the other day I boot up my pc and I get a "NORTON PROTECTION" error that says "C Drive Access denied". though it might have been the firewall but its the antivirus program.

ok, so I have a Dell Latitude D600 (standard spec, ask if u want specifics), I am on XP pro, and its SP1. The usual ... Office XP, some web programs (MIrc and so on), some macromedia, some games and so on.
    I have uninstalled both the Firewall and the virus protection programs and still no luck.

any ideas????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

Don't know about the specific error you are getting , but in trying to uninstall any Norton product can be a bugger as it tends not to remove everything leaving stuff in the registry :mad:

There is what is called a Norton removal tool which removes all traces left behind by any Norton product which i'm sure can be found after a bit of a search.

Try going into the Symantec support site itself , i think i read somewhere that there might be instructions in there :)

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Would this be a rights issue
    Did you change users? ie does tehh user have admin rights to the laptop
    1. This may be trying to save a log file
    this can be dissabled as a work around ?

I have had similar problems with mcAfee.

Dec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by Snowball
    ok, so I have a Dell Latitude D600 (standard spec, ask if u want specifics), I am on XP pro, and its SP1. The usual ... Office XP,

Snowball, I thought you'd never EVER use Windows xp or pro, what happened?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

How many harddrives do u have on ur computer:confused:

I solved a problem by dragging the norton files from the secondary hard drive to the boot drive :D

Then it uninstalled very nicely

Hopefully this may help.:D :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

GRAHAM2002 - not an install or uninstall prob. and I only have 1 HD

deckie27 - I use admin. I have full access (i better, its my lappie) and so does system

Dempsey - constructive as usual ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

Had norton problem as well - it locked me out!

Not sure how far in the boot process your getting but anyways

1. Do a safe bootup(F8), loading minimal programs
    2. Do <Start> <Run> and type MSCONFIG. When in this menu go to Selective Startup and untick any programs that relate to Norton.
    3. Restart and you should be able to access your pc and uninstall manually / automatically. you might want to do a restore to before you laoded Norton - personally it's more trouble than it's worth

Hope this helps
    Buzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

In most cases, this happens because you are using NTFS and the Windows XP file permissions are not set correctly. You must set 'Administrator' and 'System' to Allow all actions. How you do this depends on your version of Windows XP

1.. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    2. Click Tools, and then click Folder Options.
    3. Click the View tab.
    4. In the Advanced settings box, scroll to the bottom of the list.
    5. Clear "Use simple file sharing."
    6. Click OK.
    7. Right-click the C drive icon, and then click Properties.
    8. Click the Security tab.
    9. In the "Name" box, click Administrator.
    10. In the "Permissions" list, check "Allow" for all items in the list.
    11. Repeat steps 9 and 10 for System.
    12. Click OK, and then restart the computer.

:)

Advertisement