Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NT hanging at blue loading screen?

Options
  • 09-07-2003 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Hi -

When I was trying to access one of the drives in an NT machine in work, it gave the message "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". I tried to run chkdsk /f on the drive, and it gave the error "Windows NT was unable to complete the disk check".

I tried a reboot, now it's hanging on the blue loading screen (you know, Windows NT (R) Version blah blah).
    It hung there for quite a while, so I reset it, and did Last known good configuration - same deal.

The drive giving me hassle is not the boot drive.

It's pretty important I get this up and running, but I'm not really familiar with NT.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It'd totally save my ass.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Well personally I'd whip it out of the machine and install it as a secondary drive in another... maybe a Win9x box (assuming the drive is Fat32/16).
    It'd surely give some indication as to wether the drive itself is malfunctioning or something less obvious happening on the NT machine... also it may grant you the luxury of backing up important data from the drive before you try a reformat.

There again, I don't know if you're in a position to do any of that.
    So if all else fails, tell them it was like that when you got there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

any funny noises? if so you may want to get an expert to back it up pronto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Hey -

Thanks for the help!

One of the SCSI drives was knackered and it was making the disk check hang at startup - hence the infinite blue screen. I took it out, and it boots normally now.

Now I gotta get the stuff off that disk. Sigh!

Advertisement