Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are these areas like?

Options
  • 09-07-2003 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm currently looking to buy my first house, dose anyone know what any of these areas are like:

Dromcarra Avenue, Tallaght
    Ard Mor Close, Tallaght
    Cherrywood Drive, Clondalkin

I'm 30 and moving in with my partner, we've no kids and we don't really want to live in too rough an area. Not knowing what any of the above areas are like could someone offer some advice. :D

Thanks,
    Boog.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭D-!

cherrywood is a lovely estate even at night time

dont know about the other places

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Good news! I didn't really expect that :D Thanks.

Boog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

boogie man,

What are the prices?

I can vouch for Cherrywood, nice quiet place on the whole, not far from the community center which is about to be seriously developed into fancy swimmimg pool etc.

Dromcarra Avenue, without offending anybody from Jobstown it's not the nicest place in the world.

Don't know Ard Mor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Cherrywood is the only one you could really consider,

but calling them dirty little knackers I hope they catch you with one of them stones,

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Emboss
    but calling them dirty little knackers I hope they catch you with one of them stones,
    Indeed, please remove the reference.

• Advertisement

Edited. Sorry, I didn't really mean any offence by the term. I just know some places can be a bit rough and I don't really want to live there if I have a choice.
    thegills, The place in Cherrywood I'm looking at is 215 000 euros, Dromcarra - 170 000 and Ard Mor - 200 000.

Boog.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bikini widow

Would you qualify for the government's affordable housing scheme?

http://www.dublincity.ie/services/affhousbook.pdf

Thanks for that. Sounds kind of complicated, gonna get some more info on it. Has anyone else done it or have any advice on it?

Boog.

Originally posted by boogie man
    Has anyone else done it or have any advice on it?
    If you are married and/or have children, there is considerable upside, even if the property market drops, because you typically purchase the property for the price of the construction only (typically only applies to new construction) and the site is essentially free. You will really only be allowed buy according to your housing needs, as opposed to wants.

Most of these developments will be a mix of investors and owner occupiers who bought on their own and others who bought through shared ownership will account for perhaps 20% mixed through the development to avoid ghettoising people. That said you are likely to find shared ownership residents to be ordinary people, not people in crisis (substance abusers, broken families, etc.) from the council waiting list.

So, I'm not married, have no kids and I want a 3 bedroom house. This won't go down to well with the authorities too well?

Boog.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by boogie man
    So, I'm not married, have no kids and I want a 3 bedroom house. This won't go down to well with the authorities too well?
    Not really :(

how about outside dublin then? (cheaper)

Yeah, I was looking at some places in celbridge, kildare. They seem a bit more reasonable than dublin prices (but not much). I don't really want to move any further than that because of work, friends and family.

Boog.

(I'm sure your probably already aware)

But what you also need to consider is the hidden costs - In addition to finding a deposit of between 10% -25% you will also need to factor in paying out the following fees:

•Stamp duty (varies between 3% and 9% depending on the market value of the property)

•Valuation (min. €127)

•Structural report (approx. €500 + VAT)

•Solicitor's fees (0.5% - 1%)

•I’m sure there is a lot more. (everybody wants a cut)

And that's before you get involved with builders, painters & decorators, furniture providers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

I was going to ask you a question till I did see your sig..........

Who me... don't be shy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

I think Ill be shy on this one. It only concerned your height anyway.

Whats this got to do with
    a) Classifieds?
    b) Accomodation?
    c) What are these areas like?

If you have nothing appropriate to add...

Behave!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Would you not consider somewhere north of the city? That new motorway from Dundalk to the M50 means you can get to the Airport in 40 mins (legally) and to Blanch or the city centre in less than an hour (just) outside of rush hour.

From Drogheda its even less, dont like that place though. Its a hole and its built in a hole, dont mean to offend anyone though.

A friend of mine just bought a brand new 3 bedroom house in private estate from 109,000. Lovely house!!! Another bought a 4 bedroom mansion in a lovely estate for 180,000. Both in Dundalk.

Mind you, most Dublin people will dismiss as a crazy country person!

• Advertisement

Sounds good in theory! But we need to be on the dublin bus route. My partner dosn't drive and will more than lightly will end up working in the city centre. Also, we would feel completly out of the loop with our friends. There is no way they'd come out and see us if they had to get an intercity bus or train! So I'm afraid I am limited to the dublin bus route area.
    Thanks for the advice though;)

Boog.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Neh worries, I thought ya might have appreciated being able to get a bigger house in a nice area and save 40k or so :D

I see your point there, hence my prob moving to dublin to get a feckin job :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

There are at least 4 new apartment complexes being built in Clondalkin ATM, all in decent areas. That's if you are not hell-bent on a 3-bed semi-D. No stamp duty either and good resale value.

Originally posted by thegills
    There are at least 4 new apartment complexes being built in Clondalkin ATM, all in decent areas. That's if you are not hell-bent on a 3-bed semi-D. No stamp duty either and good resale value.
    Thanks for the thought but funnily enough I am hell-bent on a 3 bed semi-D. Well, preferably I'd like a detached but that ain't gonna happen! I've lived in flats with my partner for the last 6/7 years and the idea of moving into one permenantly sucks. We need some space. Plus we will have many dogs :)

Boog.

how about buy to invest?
    put simply

- buy an affordable apartment for a year.
    - rent it out hopefully for more than the mortgage.
    - then for that year either go travelling or rent out your own (cheap) place.
    - hopefully in a years time you can sell it and move up the property ladder. 3 bed semi etc.

The two most important things to consider is getting a place as soon as possible - housing in dublin will keep on increasing, especially when peoples SSIA matures,
    the second is location; if buying to rent then try tobuy in a neighbourhood that is on the "up". Doesn't have to be perfect at moment - a place where the goverment is about to reburbish, stupid lucas etc.

That's a damn fine idea! We do want to go travelling - so if we did this and went away for a year we would have someone else pay a year off our mortgage & hopefully give us some pocket-money while we are away. Then come back and live in it for awhile until get new jobs sorted then start looking for a house.
    Does this sound feasible? What do I need to know about renting it out - should I use a agency? what's the story with selling it and transfering the mortgage? am I asking too many questions? :D
    I like this idea alot. We were going to do it with the house, but it's so expensive!

Boog.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

If ye're gonna be galivanting round the world, I think getting an agency to rent and manage the place would save a lot of heartache for all involved!! :)

Your right, I wouldn't wish the role of landlord on any of my friends or family.:)

Boog.

Does this sound feasible?

yes but there is a good few pros and cons and some extra costs involved. Do you know anybody qualified with whom you can seek friendly (cheap) advice.
    What do I need to know about renting it out - should I use a agency?

Definetly, make sure its a reliable known one, even if it costs you a little bit more it will be worth it than some crappy agency where your property is left vacant for three months as they are to lazy to do anything about it. Also don't charge the absolute limit for rent, charge a fair amount and you will have a better chance of having your property rented for all twelve months - rather that say charging 200euro more and your property lying vacant for two out of the twelve months. (ask yourself what would you pay)

Also beware of service fees charged by apartment blocks these can sometimes be extortionate
    what's the story with selling it and transfering the mortgage?

should be straight forwardish.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I know someone who I can talk to, good idea. I would definatley go with an reputable agency. Thanks for the advice :)
    Is there any good sites for looking at apartments (apart from myhome.ie, they don't seem to have much at the momment)?

Boog.

Advertisement