Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are these areas like?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bikini widow

Is there any good sites for looking at apartments (apart from myhome.ie, they don't seem to have much at the momment)?
    http://www.iavi.ie/

or if you have the time go to goldenpages.ie and do a search under estate agents and have a look at their own personal websites.

"Sometimes" some of the smaller agents don't go through myhome.ie or iavi.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 GillyS

Boogie Man,

Don't want to rain on your parade but I think you will find it very hard to find an apartment anywhere in Dublin that the rent will cover your mortgage payments while you are abroad. I don't know how much of a deposit you'd have but assuming a 92% mortage I'd say it would be nigh on impossible to have the rent cover the mortgage... Also rents are falling in dublin at the moment (up to 25% in some areas) so I'd be *extremely* careful about entering into it as an investment, you could get your fingers burned...

Gilly

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Thanks Bikini :)
    GillyS, don't you worry, I'm gonna be super cautious about anything I deside to do. Thanks for the advice ;)

Boog.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by bikini widow
    - buy an affordable apartment for a year
    If you mean under and affordable housing scheme, this may be meaningless as the council would claw back ab out 90% of the gain and stamp duty on the new property would be 9% .... not leaving very much profit.
    - rent it out hopefully for more than the mortgage.
    Possible, but no guarantees.
    The two most important things to consider is getting a place as soon as possible - housing in dublin will keep on increasing
    No guarantees.
    especially when peoples SSIA matures
    Not until 2006-2007. Perhaps lenders will give a year's grace to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bikini widow

Possible, but no guarantees.
    Victor I'm not giving guarantees, just advice from my own experiences - i'm advising BM to seek proper advice from an expert.
    Do you know anybody qualified with whom you can seek friendly (cheap) advice.

Also as to the housing prices in dublin of course nobody can guarantee that, but what I will ask is when was the last time you recall that housing prices in Dublin dropped?

As for renting it out more than the mortgage; thats were getting proper advice from an expert and choosing the right property management company come into play.
    I'm also aware when the SSIA matures (i put money into every month).

As for the affordable housing scheme BM admitted that he probably didn't qualify, so what I am advising is how I would go about getting my first step on the property ladder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 GillyS

Bikini,

Also as to the housing prices in dublin of course nobody can guarantee that, but what I will ask is when was the last time you recall that housing prices in Dublin dropped?

Prices dropped in 2001 and only stopped dropping because of the reintroduction of mortgage interest relief - not that long ago...

Gilly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭TeenStar

i'm looking for somewhere to rent at the moment and i always go to

www.daft.ie

they get new ones everyday but i'm not sure about the house sales though.

Also I found a lot of those sites are linked so you keep getting the same ads cos they're run by the same people

Advertisement