Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"windows protection error"

Options
  • 09-07-2003 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

After building a new pc, I put a fresh install of win 98 and everything went fine till it tried to boot up for the first time.
    I got the 98 Splash screen then the following appeared:

"Windows protecton error. please restart windows"

I can boot in safe mode but it just wont get past that message when i boot again?

Does anyone know what the hell this message means?
    Ive installed linux (Suse) and everything runs fine so the PC seams to be running fine?

Please help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Abraxas

There's a range of reasons why you could be getting this message. This link should help you sort it out.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;149962

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Thanks for that.
    Does anyone know if its possible to make a CD-drive usable in safe mode?

I have my back up copy of XP but i didnt make it bootable and my original is in dublin (im in galway)

So im trying to install 98 (i have a bootable copy) then when thats done i will pop in the non bootable XP disk?

SO is it possible to make a CD-drive usable in safe mode in 98?

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

just amke a win98 boot disk. it has cd support.

when you say backup??? ghost image or what??

I just copied the XP Pro disk i bought (i keep originals at home) but for some reason it wasnt bootable?

I just found something on Microsofts site, saying that there maybe a problem running 98 with a CPU over 2.2Ghz

Im running the following:

Abit Ic-7
    P4 2.4Ghz 800Mhz
    1Gb Ram DDR400
    120Gb WD 8Mb
    80Gb maxtor

Might have to get that Original Disk sent down.............

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

When I got a windows protection error it was usually becaue a PCI card was properly seated in the slot. Check them all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I usualy get them when I've been a bit too optimistic with my BIOS memory settings, you might try loading the defaults... just for the laugh.
    That 2.2GHz limit sounds interesting though, could you try underclocking to below 2.2GHz just until you have XP installed.

Underclocking did occur to me but i didnt know if it was even possible or would fup ship up?

I actually tried a mates dell XP home Install Disk for a laugh and it worked Perfect. Now im not one for stealing money from Microsoft so i Quickly stuck in my own (nonbootable) XP Pro Disk and did a fresh install of XP Pro.

So I am now finally up and running with my first Pc that i actually built myself!

I ran sandra for a while and it seams as stable as the Swedish economy!!

Specs:

P4 2.4Ghz (800Mhz)
    Abit IC-7
    2 x 512Mb Corsair DDR400 Matched Pair
    120Gb WD 8Mb
    80Gb Maxtor
    Gforce 3 Ti200 64Mb (Upgrading Soon)
    Dual Boot:
    Windows XP PRo
    Linux (Suse)
    17" PhrophetView LCD

Not bad?