Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great debate ?

Options
  • 09-07-2003 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

How about a debate forum? Have debates running on it where only those involved can post, maybe organise teams or something.

Lets boardsters argue in a productive way, rather than picking fights with admins. Just a vague idea, feel free to ignore me...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

That's what I'd like to think Humanities is for. Feel free to start a debate there. Of course it's open to all and sundry.

The teams thing is an interesting idea, but problematic due to the fact that some people can't post at certain times and such but it's still a good idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"we only lost cos XXXXX was on their team!"

expect to see that posted alot... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

Originally posted by amp
    That's what I'd like to think Humanities is for. Feel free to start a debate there. Of course it's open to all and sundry.

The teams thing is an interesting idea, but problematic due to the fact that some people can't post at certain times and such but it's still a good idea.

Well, it could be broadend out to cover any subject.

Maybe to over come the posting time problem, teams could be informed of what times they can respond, eg told before the debate starts they have to reply, eg within a set time period. Or each member could specify when they could reply, and it could be built around that.

Like I said, vague idea, have'nt thought it out properly

(edit - crappy spelling)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by TheWolf
    Well, it could be broadend out to cover any subject.

Good idea! We could have seperate debate boards to cover lots of subjects, like Films and Music and Games!!! Maybe some wierder ones to provoke other types of debates, like politcal ones or ones about any Personal Issues you might have!

We could call them Debate.ie

I CANT BELIEVE noone thought of this before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

^ pretty much what he said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Good idea! We could have seperate debate boards to cover lots of subjects, like Films and Music and Games!!! Maybe some wierder ones to provoke other types of debates, like politcal ones or ones about any Personal Issues you might have!

We could call them Debate.ie

I CANT BELIEVE noone thought of this before!

Shock horror!
    And I thought Dustaz was just a spam garble bot of doom!

I agree with these sentiments thoroughly.

Sorry, should have made it clearer what I meant.

I was referring to debates in the sense where two teams argue against each other in a set amount of replies, and the one with the best arguement wins, ie someone judges them.

Professional arguing. How can we lose? :)

Maybe a league could be set up, or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I think this is quite a good idea actually. Especially if people are forced to debate on the side of something that they don't actually agree with.

Eg: People from IOFFL put on the PRO side of the statement: "Eircom have done a lot of good for this country".

The main problem, as i see it, is that VBB doesn't really lend itself to allow a proper debating forum. There would have to be a lot of mod intervention to assign teams and make sure posts happen in the right order.

davej

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I had thought of this before... its not a bad idea alright (though to be fair to Dusty, I was going to give the same reply he did until you clarified it!)

Teams of three and then a public vote?

DeV.

Public vote could be via poll, keeps it simple. A or B, please tick one box only.

Maybe select a comittee of judges, ie respected boardsters, to vote on it?

Also, it would need a way to stop people throwing in their own comments, maybe you could restrict answering on threads except by those involved?

Sounds like a lot of work tbh, would people even be interested in it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

i would be interested in watching it, not much of a debater myself but there is nothing more enjoyable than an intellagent controlled debate that is proven with fact's and links and not just the "it's true cause i say it's true" type of stuff that crops up.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes. I think this will work. The tech can do it easily. It fits in with one of the triggers that made me want to start Boards with Cloud and Spin 3 years ago (a walk through Pompeii believe it or not).

Plus its going to earn me 200 quid... but you have to wait 12 months for that story :):)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

can i have some money mister vore i need a new pc lol :D

good damn amd toaster (aka duron)

maybe that could be your first debate the cost of new pc,s in ireland

There would have to be an agreed structure to the debate.

For example, opening arguments, rebuttal(s), closing statements.

Maybe a set number of posts from each user/team and a set number of hours that the thread would remain open. This would encourage teams to be clear and concise with their replies.

davej

Originally posted by davej
    For example, opening arguments, rebuttal(s), closing statements.

I was just thinking along those lines dave. If there is three members in a team, each member has to make one of the point's mentioned (opening argument, rebuttal, closing statement) which results in the whole team contributing.

This means if someone is not making the effort the team loses; therefore each member will work harder.

The set hours for each response could be built around what time each member says they can answer at, but would have to be loose enough to work.

As for who wins, each point by each member can be marked on
    • Clarity of point
    • How convincing it is
    • How factual it is
    • Illistrating points

Any other idea's? Should everyone judge these, or a set group?

A league between different teams could probably be arranged easily enough, also. Just depends on how many teams put their name down.

Anyone else have any comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Why don't we have a debate about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

ok, fair enough its actually not a bad idea :)

are spectators allowed post replies with STFU FAG0T in them?:)

The set hours for each response could be built around what time each member says they can answer at, but would have to be loose enough to work.

I'd say set the the topic at the start of the week and let it run for 5 days. Maybe we could limit each team member to a maximum of 3 or 4 posts, including opening and closing statements.

I think the thread should be invisible/moderated until both teams have posted their opening arguments; that way the teams start off on an even footing. Once the time/max posts limit has been reached, moderate the thread again so that neither team can see each other's closing statements until they have both been posted.

We could rotate the topic through a number of the boards , for example, Politics, Humanities, Science, Broadband, Music.
    That way we could get the mods of those boards involved in the fun!

As for who wins, each point by each member can be marked on
    • Clarity of point
    • How convincing it is
    • How factual it is
    • Illistrating points

I'd add humour to that list, we don't want it to too formal...
    People can also have fun coming up with their team names!

davej

Originally posted by davej
    I think the thread should be invisible/moderated until both teams have posted their opening arguments;

I'd add humour to that list, we don't want it to too formal...
    People can also have fun coming up with their team names!

davej

Agreed, on both points. And dustaz is right, even if he is kidding, you can gaurantee someone who is not invovled will ignore the rules and try posting their opinion, maybe restrict posts like on the "Letters to the Editor forum?

Maybe authorize those on teams only to post on the forum? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Sounds interesting alright :)

Id be interested in being involved in such a venture.
    Plus its going to earn me 200 quid... but you have to wait 12 months for that story
    Oh good, you can use that as a prize fund :p

A

• Advertisement

No! Sod Off!

Its going to the DeVore's Coke and Hookers Fund.

DeV.

i guess that means no new pc :confused::confused:

hooker,s sound good though

Ok... having read your ideas (many of which are excellent) here's my initial suggestion:

We agree a topic as a community. Topic should be something relevant to Ireland today. For example the banning of smoking in pubs etc. the subject can be anything thats in the public eye.

Teams are put forward consisting of groups of 3 posters either for or against.

We'll select the teams and they will have 1 week to prepare. At the end of that week they will put forward their opening arguments through their captain. This will be pre-moderated until both are in. No more then 2 pages (I dont want enormous theses being posted and boring people to death).

The debate will last no more then a week (7 days) and each poster will be limited to one post per day. Thats no more then 21 posts per side per topic.

At the end of the week there will be closing statements/threads from the captains.

Everyone will have access to read that forum, (which will be called "Debate: Logos") and in parallel we will have another publically writeable forum called "Debate: Pathos" where everyone can have their say and take the debate into other directions, cheer for their team, talk about the debating chamber etc etc.
    If you want to know why I'm calling them that, do a google or read this

I expect that the Logos board to have crystal clear debating with civility and maturity while the howling monkeys of passion can throw poo at each other on the Pathos board.

At the end we will have a poll and there will be two "prizes" to be won. The first is the Mobile Vulgus Award (which comes from roman days and directly translates as "the excitable, fickle populous!" and will be governed solely by popular voting.
    The second will be the Senate award and will be judged by a subset of people, possibly the mods+admins, possibly by previous debaters, possibly by some other subset...

Which award you give greater credence/respect to is your own business. Neither has any intrinsic value over the other.

I'm going to ask Fergus Cassidy from the Tribune to mod it because I'm nicking my names from his Ethos website. Plus I think he'd be good at it and I have a personal reason for asking. 200 of them actually. :)

So, with this as a basis anyone wanna add or subtract anything from this infrastructure? There is something very *right* about this idea at its core though. I dont know if I've ever spoken about my trip to Pompeii before in relation to boards but this is very much part of it and an idea we were mulling over anyway...

what better time to make it go!?

DeV.

Sounds great Dev. Go for it!

sounds fun to read all right:D

Very good idea to use the Greek debating theme!
    Teams are put forward consisting of groups of 3 posters either for or against.

I still think that it would be a nice idea for teams not to know in advance which side of the argument they will have to argue for. It might help some people see things in a new light if, for example, they have to come up with arguments supporting the case for war against Iraq when for the past year they've spent their time dissing the US on the politics board. ;)

davej

I was thinking about that. From my debating days I know that I never debated as well on a topic my heart wasnt committed to.
    I take your point about perhaps seeing things from the other side but surely thats the oppositions job to do that!

I'm in two minds about this but I'm veering towards letting people sign up and be passionate about a topic.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by amp

Humanities is for you to be a neo nazi anal anti social muppet on.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Annoying, toi?

• Advertisement

You werent banned *again* were you Boston? :)

Anyway... back on topic, this aint about Humanities.

DeV.

Advertisement