Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great debate ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

As an aside I have recounted the Pompeii thing in my journal. Its far too long and off topic for here.

<-- linkage

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sounds like it could be interesting DeVore. Mind you, I won't be taking part (the whole inability to choose whether you agree or disagree with the topic always annoyed me about academic debating).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

No, i just don't like the way he moderates that forum, and i think he's a pleb, but thats another thread.

nice story DeVore, must give it a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I sent vexorg a pm asking could i bitch i that forum and he said i couldn't so you proably can't either. Amp is a real pain in the ass, and has a real hard on for me, had to be slapped down in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I suggest you two take your whinge to an appropriate forum/thread (in fact, Sparks already has) or I'll give you something else to complain about.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

As will I. This thread is important to me.

BACK on topic.

KThxBye.

Dev.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

To clarify (before I get any more indignant private messages) I didn't mean to post in the 'Fight the Power' forum, which is basically a dead forum now.

To clarify further, I'm not actually too bothered where you post your whinge (have a look at the other admin forums, you can work out for yourself what's suitable) or if you post it at all. Don't bring it up on this thread again.

Originally posted by Sparks
    Sounds like it could be interesting DeVore. Mind you, I won't be taking part (the whole inability to choose whether you agree or disagree with the topic always annoyed me about academic debating).

Er.... you WILL be able to choose, teams will form according to their beliefs so if you feel strongly about a topic up for debate you put your name forward as a potential debater FOR THAT SIDE.

I havent worked out the specifics yet but I think people debate better when they believe in the side they are debating on.

That clearer??

DeV.

Yeah, it's clearer DeVore, but it's also completely different from every academic debate I ever took part in (a coin toss was the normal method for our debate side selection).

• Advertisement

yeah I dont like that method. Its supposed to test your ability to argue for things you dont actually believe in. Why you want such an ability I cant imagine.

Anyway, this wont be an academic debate, they should be real topics, current and meaningful in our lives.

One debate a month probably, I will see if we cant get one or two well known names to agree to involve themselves in the debates too. You never know who I might be able to strong arm!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by DeVore
    yeah I dont like that method. Its supposed to test your ability to argue for things you dont actually believe in. Why you want such an ability I cant imagine.
    More a case of free weekends away (or free weeks away in other continents) with lots of free beer and chicks you can be guaranteed never to see again in my case than anything else.

Adjudication is easiest as you don't actually have to do any proper work and being sarcastic to people when they've left the room is part of the job:D

(Worlds are on in Singapore next year btw)

Why do people actually do it? Some are political types and want to develop their ability to lie, some reckon it'll look good on their CV. I liked the social aspect and so on (I can lie pretty well anyway, hate politicians and don't give a crap about my CV).

(edit: changed "perfectly" to "pretty well" in an attempt to come across as less of a cocky Cork cnut)

Ok: Logos and Pathos are up. Noone can post in Logos just yet, but Pathos is open for business so we can discuss the details of how things will work.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

I have to thank TheWolf for spurring me to do this

Knew ya loved me Devvy-baby :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

What an outstanding set of ideas.

Couple of points to consider :

1) Should people engaged in Logos also be allowed participate concurrently in Pathos, or should taking part in A Great Debate [tm] remove you from the discussion about said debate.

I think either way is workable - they each introduce their own interesting aspects - although I don't know how much effort putting such a restriction in place would involve from a modding/tech point of view.

2) Moderating of said fora could be a very interesting issue to fix policy on. Just as a debate would usually have a Chair, should we adopt a similar position in Pathos (i.e. a selected Chair per debate, rather than a permanent Chair), and with the Chair having some degree of participation in the event (although I'm struggling to come up with a good example of such participation).

On the other hand, there is a case to be made for Logos to be somewhat/mostly unmoderated. (Or maybe thats just asking for too much trouble)

In any case - and despite that I believe deVore's stance is that those who ask never receive - I'd like to put my marker down and offer to be involved in any way I can be made useful should there be any non-Admin-only moderatoring involved.

Either way....I'm looking forward to this.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

What a lovely idea.

From either the standpoint of a participant or interested onlooker this should be fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I heartily endorse this product and/or service. It could grow into something quite big, reaching out into the real world (tm).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Haven't read all this. Sounds great.

As for posts/rebuttals/whatever - word limit of 500 words, or a reasonable amount to be specified by the chair of the debate at the beginning for especially difficult topics.

I bags bonkey and shotamoose.

Advertisement