Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSI Geforce4 GFX card problems

• 09-07-2003 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

I bought an MSI TI Geforce 4800 SE 128mb about two months ago.

I upgraded the BIOS of a my card recently using the MSI Live Update software supplied on the CD that came with it (software which finds the latest version of the bios for your card and installs it).

The upgrade ran smoothly with no problems, however when I try to play games now that use OpenGL or DirectX, the computer crashes and sometimes even resets. It resets randomly at times aswell. Can anyone help me with this? I have tried the following:

1. Installing the latest MSI graphics drivers
    2. Reflashing the BIOS
    3. Clicking the 'detect hardware changes' button in the device manager.
    4. Reinstalling the graphics card.
    5. Underclocking the memory.
    6. Contacting MSI technical support.

None of these work and there's no TwinBIOS jumper on the card. The old BIOS is not available to download (if anyone has any ideas as to where I could get it, I'd appreciate it) It was working perfectly until I performed this BIOS upgrade.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Actually I'm having some odd glitches with my Creative Geforce4 Ti 4800se 128mb. Could there be a problem with this model card? I know it's not the mobo cuz i've tested on two mobos but the same glitches happen. Could the card be faulty? Tried different drivers no joy. Glitches include sharp lines across the screen vertically, odd green "burning holes" after a light reboot (shut down + shift key) win 98 havn't tested this yet on 2000 pro.

Note: Was gonna post a new topic but this seemed handy.
    edit: oops sorry misread part of your post, em.... perhaps someone has an older bios patch or the first one for that mobo. you should be able to get the old bios from msi. Check to see if they have any new bios patches and try that. or just try to reflash the bios with the latest one. also completely remove the graphics card drivers completely. get the det destoryer from www.guru3d.com it compeltely removes the drivers, also get the best drivers from there, it will be on the site. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I bought an MSI GeForce-FX there last week, had nothing but trouble with it... I just returned it and got my money back.
    One thing that sorted out some of the problems I was having was running Driver Cleaner to wipe all my nVidia drivers, rebooting, then reinstalling the latest detonators from the nVidia website.
    It may sound basic, but I was pleasantly surprised with the results.
    The old BIOS is not available to download
    I'm not sure if they do this...
    But while hunting through the first 40 pages of the MSI support forum, I spotted a guy asking the support mods to email him an old BIOS for his card.
    I'm not sure if they did or not, but it'd be worth a try if nothing else.

Hope you get it sorted :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I know this isn't much help but the MSI GeForce 4 MX440 64mb has issues with ram and windows 98. IT won't work with 1024mb or more ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭dumb larry

Thanks for all the advice! I'll try removing the drivers using the software you mentioned and then reinstalling (although I have already installed the latest drivers from MSI's site). I've already mailed MSI about this three times and they haven't replied once. If anyone out there is using an MSI card I strongly advise that you don't touch the bios using the Live Update utility.

I'm going to try reflashing the bios on a different computer to see if that works. There's an MSI motherboard in this one afterall :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

if you're flashing another mobo, don't use the flash disk that you created for your own mobo, unless both mobos are the same model

• Advertisement
Advertisement