Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inned to put on weight but i cant drink milk!

• 09-07-2003 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi there,

I go to the gym quite regulary, at least 3-4 days a week,
    and have been the last 5 months

My muscles are slowly and i mean slowly getting bigger and i
    know why that is! i need more body mass to play with so i can
    get bigger, quicker.

For some biological reason i have a high metabolism which is an
    absoloute nightmare as i cant put on weight :(

I know there are supplements like weight gain and protein suppliments but they all require milk and i cant drink milk as it makes me ill :( i can only have small and i mean very small amounts of it.

Does anyone know what alternative i could do and if there are any suppliments that i can take that only need water?

I would be very grateful for your suggestions!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

alot of them you can use water OR milk or just buy a crate of ensure get it in most chemists i would think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Nothing *requires* milk. You can use water with any whey protein supplement for example.

As regards the high metabolism I can't gain weight part, there is a sticky post on the boards regarding just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mr Dj

Nothing *requires* milk. You can use water with any whey protein supplement for example.

How do you mean this? I have seen many a product that
    requires milk to see the results. like weight gain for eaxample,
    comes in a big tub. It's all powdery. you put in a couple of spoon
    fulls of the stuff in a glass then you add milk. you mean i could
    drink these with water.

does anyone know the best thing i could take that's a weight
    gain but you can make it with water?

Whey protein is whey protein.

If you just ate spoonfuls of powder it would be the same. Though very unpleasant.

Mixing with milk is generally done as it boosts the total calories of any given shake when you have a litre of milk in there. I mix all my protein with water as I prefer the lighter taste.

Try any of the links on the board, www.tmof.com or pop into workout world or something and pick one up there. Weight gain won't come from the protein alone, you need to up you whole diet. Protein will just give you a better shot at muscle growth and whatever extra calories are in your dosage.

JAK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mr Dj

Do you think so? I've never really thought of trying those type of things with water. i didnt think you could. Well i'll certainly give that a shot. Protein is designed merley to quicken the muscle repair system isnt it?

I have currently upped my daily food intake from 2 meals a day to 4-5. I eat like a horse. Well i think i do anyway. Alot of people are unsue of the correct food to eat. Everyday i eat breakfast now,
    which would be a fry up or 4 sausage rolls, lunch would be a big plate of chips and if there's something nice to go with them like chicken, pork or beef or something or maybe just on there own. then with that i get a massive salad which contains lots of tuna, cheese, ham, turkey or ham, sweetcorn, rice, onions and mixed peppers. sometimes boiled eggs too if there available. then for dinner i oul usually eat pasta, mixed with cut up sausages and bacon wihtout sause, just a little butter and maybe some herbs.
    I have been eating the above for the last 9 weeks......

Do you think im on the right lines? or should i eat something different?

• Advertisement

Simplest explanation is that when your muscle breaks down after a hard session, it will rebuild bigger - in order to adapt to what it now considers daily life. It does it to survive. Protein is the key building block for new muscle. The more you have in your system, the greater your chance of muscle growth when rebuilding. To use a crap analogy, you can't build a big house if you don't have enough bricks.

Anyhows if you are looking to bulk up, there is 3 simple things to remember as far as I am concerned.

1. Make sure all vitamins, minerals and basic requirements are covered in your diet through either supplements or meals. Training will drain your system more. There is heaps of info out there on diet and training. Trawl through some of the heavy bodybuilder/powerlifter sites for info.

2. Keep training, hard. All this eating is for a reason, and while you will gain fat in a bulking phase, training will ensure you are also building muscle. What most people do is bulk, then cut back, rinse repeat.

3. Eat a lot, all the time. If you are bulking and getting the essentials, where you get your calories from is not too critical as long as you are not hoovering up grease trays in chippers.

JAK.

Advertisement