Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Memory Key fobs (USB 1 vs USB2)

• 09-07-2003 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I was looking at buying one of those USB memory sticks.
    Marx Computers seems to have some excellently priced ones (64mb for €30!)

There is a more expensive stick, which seems to use usb 2. Is the only difference between usb1 and usb2 speed? Is compatibility the same (ie should I be able to use a usb1 stick in newer machines?)?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks,
    - Drakar

These are on the bottom of this page btw:
    http://www.marx-computers.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?keywords=memory%20stick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Drakar
    Is the only difference between usb1 and usb2 speed?

Is compatibility the same (ie should I be able to use a usb1 stick in newer machines?)?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?
    Yes, yes and don't think so really.

For a 32 meg device I personally wouldn't think it worth the extra money (depending how much the price difference is obviously)

You most likely won't be able to use a USB2 stick on a USB1 equipped machine though

64MB for €30 seems pretty darn competitive tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

The USB 2 one is €60 for 128mb, and it mentions it's USB1 compatible. That definately does make it look quite attractive too.

I was just thinking though that it's not likely you'd want to use it too often, and normally it would be for relatively small files, so if the only difference was speed... Both of them look quite good though! You can get 128mb version of the UBS1 stick for €45 too. They do seem much cheaper than other places though so I was just afraid there was a catch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Why don't you get a Creative MuVo MP3 player that doubles as a Storage device. It come in 2 sizes 64meg and 128meg. The 128 is about 199quid. Pricey, yes, but can play WMA files too. Also, you can stores files as well as listen to MPS's and WMA's. I think their USB2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Or better still get the Magic Star MP3 . It is a usb drive & mp3 player & portable e-mail client, memo, calander etc. and @ €138 for the 256MB unit delivered you can't go wrong.

I love mine :D

Cal.

Advertisement