Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dos games in win2k

• 09-07-2003 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

i got a few old games yesterday and i'm having trouble with them, im using win2k and the hard drive is ntfs
    when i try to run any from the command line i get an error saying i'm oiut of virtual memory
    i tried booting into dos with my old windos 98 cd but booting that way leaves me without the use of my mouse

can anyone help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Well you could try increasing the size of your swapfile to see if that makes any difference.

Forget about booting from the Win98 CD though...
    It'll clog your conventional memory with a ton of TSR's, and generally DOS games need most of your conventional memory.
    And unless I'm mistaken - you won't be able to access your NTFS drives from a Win98 cd boot. (dunno about Win98SE though, anyone?)

Still, if you search around the net and do a bit of homework on the subject, you should be able to get a nice boot floppy disk sorted... with a generic DOS mouse driver, and an NTFS mounter.

I saw a DOS emulator for Win 2K/XP a few months ago on a PC mag cover disk, which was made specifically for old DOS games... but I can't remember what it was called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

U could mess around with ur swap file and u won't be able to access ur ntfs from 98se.

Just buy some new games !!!!!

Theyll probably have really bad graphics anyway !

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

thats not the point these games made the games of today and made us happy . its gud to play the oldies . tis fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

1. Open Windows Explorer and Change to the directory where the DOS games are installed.

2. Right Click on the Game exe file and select properites.

3. Select the Memory Tab.

4. Configure the memory as needed!

5. Select the Screen Tab and select Full Screen.

6. then double click on the game exe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

if they are "true" dos games they wont run in 2k, the NTVDM (NT Vitual Dos machine) doesnt allow direct access to hardware. Ie no sound for a start.

visit www.bootdisk.com, look for a disk with cdrom and mouse support (mouse.com) then burn the floppy to disk for boot-cd goodness ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

thanks for the help
    i ended up having to create a boot cd(no floppy drive) which was a pain in the ass and i'm stuck with emulated sound but syndicate wars was worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

isnt there simulators u can get that will do it for you ? while ur in win2k ? ask ronan|raven in irc #boards.ie he dose it a lot afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

yea, thers one called dosbox, but the graphics and sound have to be done through emualtion, which is slow (even on a quick pc) and buggy :(

Advertisement