Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea for the film board.

Options
  • 09-07-2003 9:12pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

I think adding a sub form to the film forum (like the dhl one on komplett) would be a good idea. It would give a place for people to rate films seperate to just random talk about films and stuff. So most people could easily access the film reviews or ratings. I post the same suggestion on the film board itself to see what they think.

I know it really has nothing to do with me as i am not a regular film forum user and just go there to check out what people thought about x film.

Just though i'd drop in the suggestion.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Fine then ignore me, I'll talk to myself.

Great idea TomTom, here is a big pat on the back for that one

PAT PAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like this idea (there.... happy?) :)

Seriously though, I think it makes sense. Separate the film reviews and opinions from the "who is your fav angel i don't know the names of characters but i know the cast" type threads.

Go for it....

- Dave.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

It's not a bad idea and it would probably encourage a few more indepth reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Hopefully some indepth reviews like these!

MovieDude!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

nice idea. gets my approval.

as long as you get someone to moderate it properly. id like to see in the same formula,as say,the for sale board,where you put the name of the film,then a rating maybe,and then comments etc...

get a good mod and it'll be a good idea.

• Advertisement

could draco not mod both.

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    as long as you get someone to moderate it properly.
    All you really need is someone to keep the muppets inline.

so how will this work then? can you just make a request to the admins the create a sub board.or does it have to be done through this usual system,cause we dont seem to be having much luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I endorse this suggestion.

It has to be kept as clean as possible. Some potential rules:

1. Clean thread titles. Just the movie name (not "FYI I just saw Terminator 3... IT IS AWESOME!"). Makes browsing and searching easier.

2. No one-line reviews ("Its great" or "It sucks"). Maybe set a minimum length for a review?

3. Spoilers kept to an absolute minimum (it IS possible to review movies without giving huge chunks of the plot away). Where spoilers can't be avoided, use spoiler tags.

4. Everyone who reviews has to use the 5 star rating system to rate the movie (I know this can't be enforced, but it should be stated).

With reasonably strong moderation, it would be a great resource.

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Great idea and some good suggestions by TmB. I'd be willing to help out with some modding if needed. As Tmb said it would be good to use the rating for the thread system and perhaps if this was to be stated when you start a new thread.

Pat Pat Tom Tom :)

this my be expanding the idea a bit too far....

but, how about only selected credited users cann start a thread on the board,they can pm their first review to draco [or whoever] for approval,then if granted they can start threads at will on their reviews.

again 5 star rating and all that.

It'd be nice to have only well written reviews, but thats a huge amount of work for Draco (or whoever mods it).

I say keep it fairly open, and ban people who act the muppet.

- Dave.

i'd like to put my name in for modding it, i have fainally returned to my old few times in the cinema a week routine so I feel i would be able to keep up to date with current films.

I thing spoiler sohould be avoided altogether, if what you are going to say gives away too much, don't say it. Most ppl can't resist spoilers. They are just so tempting.

I agree with TmB, the thread titles would have to be just the film name to keep it easy to search. Organising it alphabatcily might be an idea also, if a person wants to review a film they can pick the film, it's not like other forums where the current conversation is handy to have on top.

I think it should be kept to a strict critque about the film, no (great flic) instead write a bit on what you thought.

Kinda agree with Jimeatsmenu a bit on the credited thread starter thing, cause people want to read (well i do anyway) an unbaised review of a film.

May as well throw my name in the ring too.... I go to two or three movies every week, and I'm fairly artiku... artycul.... good with words! :)

- Dave.

Originally posted by TmB
    3. Spoilers kept to an absolute minimum (it IS possible to review movies without giving huge chunks of the plot away). Where spoilers can't be avoided, use spoiler tags.
    I don't see the point of this, in fact I'd see the opposite being an important factor in the creation of a new board. Once people understand that the review may contain spoilers it is fair game. if they don't want to read it, they can see the star rating.

Everything else mentioned can already be done within the current film board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

I've thought quite a few times recently, it would be nice to have a place to discuss OLD movies. Either recent rents/purchases or on tv. Just last night Brubaker was on. Classic movie, it'd be nice to have a place to go and discuss it!

Originally posted by patch69
    I've thought quite a few times recently, it would be nice to have a place to discuss OLD movies. Either recent rents/purchases or on tv. Just last night Brubaker was on. Classic movie, it'd be nice to have a place to go and discuss it!
    What's stopping you from posting about it on the film board? It's not called "only what's in the cinema now film board".

Originally posted by Draco
    What's stopping you from posting about it on the film board? It's not called "only what's in the cinema now film board".

I've not seen it done. Does it belong in movies or in tv. TBH, some dummy would surely point out 'wrong Forum', or else nobody would reply.
    If there was a spot for less current discussion, people might be more inclined. I know I would.
    I'm not saying there's anything wrong the way it is.But why not encourage more varied topics?

tbh patch i have no idea what your talking about.people discuss old movies all the time in the film board and i dont know why people would suggest they belong in the tv board.

i myself have been known to take part in discussions about ferris beuller and the like.

can we get back to the topic at hand?
    even if draco doesnt want this sub board off film theres still alot of people here who do. can we please get some type of admin input into this.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    tbh patch i have no idea what your talking about.
    Clearly not. I was suggesting some kind of encouragement which might draw more people to start discussions. Just an idea loike.

I say give it a trial run. If it doesn't work, then munge the threads back into Films, no harm done.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

If Draco is happy for a trial run (he will mod it after all), we can go - should it be called Rated Films or Film Ratings or Film Reviews (Film should be in the title).

J.
    --

Deadly buzz.

I think 'Film Reviews' would be a good title. Nice clean and to the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yeah Film Reviews suits it best.

Originally posted by Cloud
    If Draco is happy for a trial run (he will mod it after all), we can go - should it be called Rated Films or Film Ratings or Film Reviews (Film should be in the title).

J.
    --
    I'm more than happy for a trial run. Film Review is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Let's give it a whirl so...

Advertisement