Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New MS Smartphone (Orange SPV E100/HTC Tanager)

• 10-07-2003 4:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

Orange have announced their new SPV (E100), major differences to the original SPV are the screen and tweaks to the form factor. The buttons have been made larger and the D-Pad is gone in favour of a Joystick.

The new SPV E100, known as the HTC Tanager is not exclusive to Orange (as was the original SPV also know as the HTC Canary). Some other operators and third party vendors are selling the device. This one branded an i-Mate Smartphone

tanager_devices.ie.jpg

The screen is vivid and bright in all conditions, using a transflective display with 64k colours (as used in the more recent iPAQs ranges).

Built in MS appls including Internet Explorer (HTML and WAP), MSN Messenger, Windows Media, and the usual Inbox, Contacts and Calender to Activesync with Outlook. Also comes with an MMS client from Ezos and Photo Album from IA Style. There is an optional clip on Camera and an SD and MMC card memory expansion slot which is also SDIO capable.

Here's a pic in context with other Smartphone/PDAPhone devices available at the moment, and in low light to expose the brightness of the screen. While taking the low light pick tonight a moth landed on it ignoring the rest of the devices (so it's not just me who thinks it's really bright!! :D)

7650_p800_tanager_xda_devices.ie.jpg

7650_p800_tanager_xda_lowlight_devices.ie.jpg

BrianG.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

got round to playing some more with the multimedia capabilities of the handset - was out on Wednesday at a gig - unfortunately the phone betrays you in a dark environment as it is so bright and your face lights up in a blair witch torch effect ;)

anyhow i'd loaded up some trailers, encoded dvds and music - and afterwards i showed it to some friends - well the screen blew people away especially the movies - based on a transflective display it's really bright and the 65k colours really give an impressive level of quality

tanager_screen_devices.ie.jpg

so this is the next level up from the 4096 TFT people have been getting used to mainly with the current Symbian based devices - although it's the type of display the manufacturers implement that will determine it's operation under lighting different conditions (more details: Display Modes (Transmissive / Reflective / Transflective)... then roll-on the OLED displays :)

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Wow. That looks mighty impressive! I won't even ask how you got your hands on it, I'm positively glowing green with envy :)

The word on the proverbial street is that it won't be launched by Vodafone Ireland, ever.

Advertisement