Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks to Pierce O'Callaghan

Options
  • 10-07-2003 8:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I was chatting with an AAI official last night and he filled me in on the website saga. According to him the prior webmaster and another individual came up with all sorts of excuses not to upgrade, citing enormous costs. Pierce and Co. were able to deliver a super product for a tiny fraction of the cost that the "pros" were talking.

Apparently the resistance put up by the old guard was fairly strong, but common sense prevailed in the end.

Pierce and Co. deserve our thanks for overcoming some serious opposition to do a job that was begging to be done properly.

Now who wants to do the treasurer's job properly? I was told by the same official last night that people were still not getting paid! An absolute disgrace!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dan Kavanagh

Ed,

While we will all agree that the website is a phenomenal improvement on what went before and your (informant's) tale of how it was set up is interesting, I cannot agree without your final comment on changing the Treasurer in the same way. I have to be honest and confess that I am not affected nor do I personally know anyone who is affected by non payment of grants etc. but I am not saying that, maybe, others have a different story to tell.

However, that is not the point. The AAI is a democratic organisation that elects its officials every 2 years. The next election will, I think, be in March. It is open to any member of the Association to seek a nomination for any position. At the last Congress there were at least 2 nominations - Rita Brady and Michael Quinlan. In a very fair and democratic manner Michael was elected by the delegates who attended that Congress. Michael had also been the outgoing Treasurer for a good number of previous years. Delegates to Congress are mandated by their County Boards on which way to vote in these elections. By extension, therefore, the only assumption I can come to is, is that the majority of AAI members were satisfied with Michael's performance as Treasurer with regard to his previous tenures of office - at least enough to defeat his opponent in the election.

As an elected official, who had to undergo election, he should be supported during his tenure of office - sniping on this and other boards won't change anything. Next March, there will be another election - if the majority of members of the Association feel that a change should be made, that is the place to do it. In the meantime and subsequent to the next election we should do what we can to support those who voluntarily hold executive positions in our Association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Ed Healey

Dan,

I have to agree with your position that the treasurer is an elected official and that he really shouldn´t be replaced by other than a democratic process.

The fact remains that athletes, officials and suppliers still end up waiting months for their money.

He was the obstruction that needed to be removed in order to upgrade the website.

What we need is the likes of a Pierce O´Callaghan with accounting skills to step forward and challenge for the position of treasurer. Competition improves the breed, and things certainly need improving here!

I am not sniping at this individual. I am merely relating my experience, and that of others, with relation to dealing with the treasurer. If he did his job, I would not be doing so.

All you need do is ask anyone who has had dealings with the lad, and I am one who has.

Anyone in a position such as his has to accept the fact that they are under scrutiny and answerable to the rank and file.

Ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Ed Healey

I was speaking with another athletics official and coach this morning who is owed a substantial sum in expenses from the AAI, and is having trouble collecting.

As volunteers, the coaches and officials are donating their valuable time to the AAI. If there are special expenses incurred and a promise is made to pay them by the AAI, they should be paid promptly.

Not all Irish Athletics coaches are independantly wealthy and able to wait for months for reimbursement of out of pocket expenses.

The ill will caused by inept and arrogant behaviour is remembered long after the bill is finally collected.

Advertisement