Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game Console Rip Off

• 10-07-2003 9:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭

I was just examining the cost of a Games Console here and in the US
    Comparison of Game console Prices here and in US
    XBox:Ireland ,200 euro,
    US;193 dollars=170 euro
    GameCube:Ireland,200 euro,
    US;149 dollars=132 euro
    PS2:Ireland,270 euro,
    US;180 dollars=159 euro

This is ridiculous.
    This country is a disgrace.
    This behaviour encourages Piracy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

The Games are just as bad with prices, we need a way to lower prices. Its just not funny there cheaper in England too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭corkviewer

Best solution is to buy your console and games in the uk from amazon.com or play.com. Use a currency convertor and include the postage. You'll still make a considerable saving. Same goes for cds, dvd, electronics etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I bought a new one in Singapore for €150.
    Its PAL and runs off 220v supply.
    Perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

why are consoles always a minimum of €20 more expensive in Ireland when compared to Germany for example ? €20 isn't much but I think it's just another excuse to rip people off.

Because Irish people are sheeplike mugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

why are consoles always a minimum of €20 more expensive in Ireland when compared to Germany for example ?

Mostly because Irish stores are generally part of UK chains - or at least, take their stock from UK distributors. Which means that you get hit with the UK price (often slightly higher than the Euro price for a number of reasons), PLUS you get slapped with Sterling to Euro conversion rates and the inevitable upward rounding that comes with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Originally posted by DannyD
    why are consoles always a minimum of €20 more expensive in Ireland when compared to Germany for example ? €20 isn't much but I think it's just another excuse to rip people off.

I would say it is more to do with the difference in VAT. Ireland is 21% Germany is 16% (as far as i remember).

That whole Sterling conversion rate thing is a cop out.
    I'm sick of hearing complaining that Irish goods are too expensive because Irish suppliers buy their goods from the UK.
    This is bollix.
    Most items in the UK are just as cheap as in their European counterparts.
    Irish shops are just uncompetitive.
    Plain simple greed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Just a suggestion, but do you think you could see through your incoherent rage for a moment when posting and provide facts and source links rather than a collection of one-line rants?

I do also worry about the possibility of you shooting up your local supermarket with a shotgun next time you see an overpriced tin of beans, and strongly suggest that you turn yourself into your local Garda station immediately.

Just after thrashing a local supermarket and pistol whipping a sales agent with my umbrella after paying 95c for a can of my beloved Tanora.
    I think I may have over reacted .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

I think there is a lot to be said for the VAT argument, and of course the cost of overseas shipping from the UK / Continental Europe. Retailers have their part to play too, but having worked in Ireland, the UK, and France, there is no doubt that the overheads of a Store in Ireland are higher (notably wages!) and the various forms of taxation add a huge amount to the final amount we pay for goods..especially luxury items like games.

Advertisement