Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrorthon

Options
  • 10-07-2003 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭

From the thing of mystery that is my Inbox....
    Subject: Horrorthon, Friday July 11th

THE MOST FUN YOU'LL EVER HAVE, BEING
    SCARED !

A NIGHT WITH GEORGE A. ROMERO &
    STEPHEN KING.

8.00pm CAT'S EYE
    9.40pm CREEPSHOW

CAT'S EYE
    What does a stray cat have in common with a radical technique to quit smoking, the window ledge of a skyscraper and an evil Goblin ? Find out in Stephen King's three terror tales which star Drew Barrymore and James Woods.

CREEPSHOW
    Inspired by old EC Comics of the 50's. This underrated gem from George A. Romero and Stephen King, two macabre masters conjure up shocking yarns which include a murdered man returning from the grave for his Father's Day cake, a meteor's ooze that makes everything grow, a scheming husband that plants two lovers up to their necks in terror, a professor who selects his wife as a snack for a crated monster and a malevolent millionaire with an incect phobia that becomes the prey of a cockroach army. Both films remastered from their original negitive in new prestine transfers. Let the Creepshow begin !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

obey can anyone go to that or do you gotta become a horrorthon member or somthing ? also how do i sign up for the mailing list ? id be v.interested in going to these :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

It's open to everyone. There's not so much the idea of "members", just "regulars". I subscribed to their mailshots by emailing horrorthon@hotmail.com to let them know I was interested, but this might have changed since then. Their website (www.horrorthon.com) doesn't seem to be working just now.. might be worth checking that out in a while to see if they've changed the subscription info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Also where are they based, ive never heard of them but i like the sound of it. I`ll go try their site later on see if its back up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Ahhh Cat's Eye, what a great film! I think that was the first horror I ever saw. This sounds like fun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Slane

Hey ObeyGiant, i was wondering, have you gotten any new word on another Horrorthon group night at the IFC, if not when you do get some info next, could you post it up here for us so we can stay informed about when they are next meeting up. Thanks!

• Advertisement

As requested...
    Subject: HORRORTHON FRI. 8/8/03

BLUE SUNSHINE - 8PM
    MAY - 9.40PM

(Upstairs in Irish Film Centre in meeting room at 8pm sharp, last door on the right in the hallway before the glass doors)

Blue Sunshine 1976 - First Irish Screening ever of this Cult film from the 70's from fimmaker Jeff Lieberman (Squirm).
    Plot - The drug is called Blue Sunshine it takes 10 years to show its side affects & when it does people lose all their hair & become deranged psychotic killers.

May 2003 - Along with House of 1000 Corpses & Cabin Fever this has been acclaimed as one of the best Horror movies in recent years.
    Plot - The story revolves around a girl called May who after several unsuccessful attempts at friendships decides to create her own companion. This creepy little chiller is well worth seeing & was highly praised at this years Dead by Dawn Horror festival in Edinburgh.

Personally, I've wanted to see May for a while now. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Aaahh freaky, I've meant to see May for ages now and was about to order it from Play USA.

Hmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Along with House of 1000 Corpses

I thought that was a really really really bad film...really bad /me shudders

really really bad

Hey Obygiant, how often do these guys meet up in the IFC, i cant make it tomorrow night but i may try get along to a few more of these?

Hey Obeygiant, if you get any news again on the next Horror night at the IFC could u post it up here ASAP. Cos the last two times it was too short notice for me to be able to go. thanks.

• Advertisement

Sorry Slane, but these things generally arrive in my inbox just one or two days before the actual meeting.

Speaking of which, there's one tomorrow:
    Greetings Horror fans,

Please note the earlier start time and tomorrow nights date

THE LAST HUNTER *****7.30PM*****
    THE LAST HUNTER, is basically italy's answer to THE DEER HUNTER/APOCOLYPSE
    NOW, and is far better than either movie. There is nothing beautiful
    about war..... and THIS movie proves it, also it's non-stop action, and
    confusion, this is how you imagine what 'war' is like.

The late, great DAVID WARBECK, plays the army captain, who is obviously
    fed up of 'the war', and is quite cutting and sardonic throughout the
    movie. Playing like a latter-day BOGART, he comes across, as world-weary
    and arrogant at times, but his gesture at the finale, makes up for that.
    It's director has used various footage (mostly explosions) in most of his
    movies (before and after,most notably, in the irresistable KILLER FISH)
    But the rest of the special effects in this movie are first rate.
    Sometimes the movie comes across like a cannibal/zombie flick (and there's
    nothing wrong with that!) but other moments have a genuine power about
    them, most notably, the movies opening, and later on, in the scene with
    TONY KING in the boat, when the vietcong attack.

A very good message movie, that thinks it's an exploitation movie (oh, and
    p.s TISA FARROW, has the best breasts in recent memory, or should that be
    mammory?)

VERSUS 9PM
    There are 666 portals to the other side, and somewhere in Japan lies the
    home of the 444th. It is here that Prisoner KSC2-303 escapes from his
    fellow inmates to rendezvous with a group of men who will lead him to
    safety.

After he realises that the price of his freedom is the death of a female
    hostage, he refuses to comply with his rescuers' plans and blood is
    spilled. But when, in the aptly named Forest of Resurrection, long dead
    Yakuza fighters come back to life to avenge their own deaths, a battle
    against these living dead assassins ensues. Soon his quest for freedom
    becomes a desperate fight to simply stay alive....

Not to be missed!!

Horrorthon
    I dunno, as great as Tisa Farrow's breasts are, I've always had a thing for Jamie Lee Curtis' breasts. And by "thing", I mean "major boner".

Hey obeygiant, well, it seems that time of the month again, so, any word on when the next Horrothon meeting is. Oh and also, its ok that I just turn up for this, i don't need a horrorthon membership or even an IFC one do I? And do I have to turn up at the start of the night for both flicks, or is it alright if I just turn up for the secon flick on in one night?

Subject: HORRORTHON FRI. 5/9 8PM
    Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 12:25:54 +0100

GREETINGS HORROR FANS
    THIS FRIDAYS HORROR DELIGHTS WILL BE:
    8PM BLOODY BIRTHDAY
    AN EARLY EIGHTES VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED SLASHER TYPE FEATURE WITH
    MURDEROUS KIDS ON THE LOOSE.
    9.40PM BLOOD FEAST 2 - ALL U CAN EAT
    HERSCHELL GORDON LEWIS RETURNS TO THE SCREEN AFTER NEARLY 40 YEARS
    WITH THIS WIDELY ENTERTAINING SEQUEL TO HIS ORIGINAL CULT CLASSIC
    'BLOOD FEAST' PACKED WITH LOTS OF GORE, CAMPY DIALOGUE & HAMMY
    PERFORMANCES.
    HORRORTHON
    No, you don't need any membership. And yes, you can turn up for the start of any film.

why are these always on when im on a late shift.

Hey Obeygiant when the next one is on will ya start a new thread for it so as not to mix it up with the older horrorthons and so the threads dont get too long.

AH GOD DAMN!!!!! I don't believe this, I just got on the net now and damn it, I ended up missing it again. Am i destined to never go!? Have I envoked some sort of evil horrorthon curse?

Obey do you know who orginises these events so we can get some earlier notice of these events as there seems to be a fair bit of notice to the lads and lassies on this board!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

THE LAST HUNTER *****7.30PM*****
    THE LAST HUNTER, is basically italy's answer to THE DEER HUNTER/APOCOLYPSE
    NOW, and is far better than either movie. There is nothing beautiful
    about war..... and THIS movie proves it, also it's non-stop action, and
    confusion, this is how you imagine what 'war' is like.

I nearly shat myself reading that. Anyone who's sat through The Last Hunter will realise it's quite possibly the funniest war movie ever filmed.

From the remote control helicopter to the punishment via running into the jungle accompanied by hillbilly chase music, it's a laugh from start to finish.

Blood Feast 2 though... sounds promising. Saw Blood Feast at last years horrothon and it was brilliant.

Advertisement