Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2fm, 7:50 yesterday.....

Options
  • 10-07-2003 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭

Now this is a long shot. That new american D.J on 2fm. It was at 7.50pm. She played a song, I tried to hear who sang it, but I was driving etc.

From what I caught, the female american singer was called Nelo or maybe Lelo.....I think. She had a very haunting voice, Which I've heard before maybe. The line she sang which stood out was 'I wish I was dead'. Maybe that was the name of the song?

Anybody? Please.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Are you sure it was 2fm you were listening to?
    Could it have been Alison Curtis on Today FM you were listening to? If so, is it possible that the band you are looking for was Rilo Kiley?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭patch

Originally posted by ColinM
    Are you sure it was 2fm you were listening to?
    Could it have been Alison Curtis on Today FM you were listening to? If so, is it possible that the band you are looking for was Rilo Kiley?

I wonder....A song by a band called The Black Motorcycle club/gang or some such played directly after it......

I'm listening to a bit of Rilo Liley thanks to your reply.......I'm not sure if its them yet!

-Which song do you reckon played last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's odds on that the second band you mention there were 'Black Rebel Motorcycle Club'. I know it's not the one you're looking for but it might help you track down the first song if the DJ in question does online tracklistings.

Ok, well actually, I wasn't listening last night, but if you were listening to Alsion Curtis on TodayFM then I think we are talking about the same thing. I was listening on Tuesday night at about 9.30 I think, but I would guess that she would probably play the same stuff on different nights. Your description of the voice as "haunting" is how I would have described it as well.
    Normally I would pick out an unusual lyric from a song and google for it with quotes around the exact phrase if I was looking to find out what a song was that I had just heard on the radio. This song I had never heard before, but it sounded very good on first listen which is usually a good sign for me. I had just arrived home but the song sounded so good I listened to it all and waited to hear what the band or song was called before getting out of the car. She went on about Rilo Kiley alot and "The execution of all things" and Saddle Creek being the record label. I have downloaded* and listened to "the execution of all things" but I don't think it is the song I'm looking for. Now I'm thinking that either "the execution of all things" is also the name of an album which contains the song that was played, or she was talking about some other song prior to the one I had heard.
    If you can say that you were definitely listening to Today FM thouigh, I think there is a good chance that we are talking about the same song and maybe we can help each other to find out what it is. Unfortunately I don't remember any lyrics from the song - do you remember any other exact lyrics? Failing that, perhaps a sycophantic email to acurtis@todayfm.com might help investigations? (Incidentally - she sounds hot! A canadian I believe. I really hope she looks as good as she sounds!)

*I will respect the rights of the artist and pay for the music once I find out what it is I'm looking for

Dammit....I found a listing of all their song lyrics, couldn't find the line I remember.

Might not be them. Funny though, the name and album names yopu mention rang a bell....... I'll keep looking.........

• Advertisement

Actually, her voice was kinda like the lead singer off The Donnas.
    And a line near the end was 'I wish I was dead'
    Help meh.....this is the kind of thing that could really piss a fella off.

See the trouble with searching for "I wish I was dead" is that it's going to get you diaries and poems and so on from millions of disaffected teenagers all over the globe. Searching for "I wish I was dead" + lyrics is only going to narrow that down to a few thousand songs.
    Can you remember any other phrase from it?

Also, can you confirm that it was actually Today FM that you were listening to?

I know...I couldn't have picked a worse line to remember.
    This was at 7.50pm. According to the website, the last word is on today fm at that time.

2fm's site says The Waiting Room is on fro 7.30 till 8.00 .
    There's no info on that show, so it's most likely it?

And no, I'm afraid that's the only line that stuck in my head....:(

When off air, Jenny can be found DJ-ing live at various venues around Dublin, going to gigs and producing and promoting events. She is looking forward to her new show on 2FM, where she has already been heard presenting her weekday show The Waiting Room - which first aired last Monday between 7.30 and 8pm.

This is the show, DJ. I also edited the origional post to give the time, which I stupidly left out......

Right, so you were indeed listening to Jenny Huston on 2FM hosting "The Waiting Room" show. So we're talking about two Canadians who used to be on Phantom FM. They obviously must know each other and probably share the same tastes in music. Maybe they have both featured the same band and song on their respective shows. However, we could well be talking about completely different songs here. Even with this little to go on, either of them may be able to help us. I can't find Jenny's email address, but judging from RTE's email conventions, it is probably going to be one of the following: jenny@2fm.ie; jennyhuston@2fm.ie; hustonj@rte.ie or jenny.huston@rte.ie - fancy dropping her a line?

Also, I notice Amz's thread called "Help or Hinderance" about Phantom FM DJs moving to mainstream stations, so she must be interested in this type of music. Maybe if she's reading this she might be able to help out here in some way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

FYI, I think Amz came into board.ie via the phantom fm forum (same as myself actually) so it might be helpful for you to start a thread similar to this over there in order to find your unidentifiable tune.

Anyway you can find it at 'community/free radio/phantom fm'

Thanks for your help guys.......I'll post it for amz to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

Jenny's show moved this week to 10pm - Midnight, Monday to Thursday.

Might be able to get a playlist from Jenny, will post it here if I do.
    Don't think her email is live yet, should be jenny.huston@rte.ie when it does get set-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

Oh aye, just got this from Alison! Like she says, "Tune In"

This week on The Last Splash...
    I chat to the wonderful Beth Orton about learning to play the piano, to the talented Gary Lightbody about the forthcoming Snow Patrol album and to Colin of Mull Historical Society about strange Scottish traditions...
    Up for grabs
    The amazing new Bell X-1 album 'Music in Mouth' they rock... The Darkness Permission to Land and they are back and they sound great Janes Addicition's new album Strays

THE LAST SPLASH
    SUNDAY NIGHTS 9-11
    WITH ALISON CURTIS
    ON TODAY FM

TUNE IN...

btw BellX1 have just announced an Irish tour

- BELL X1 IRISH TOUR, AUGUST 2003:

Saturday, August 9th - The Village, Dublin - Tickets €12.50 (inc booking fee) From Road Records and Sound Cellar and ticketline 0818 719 300/

Sunday, August 10th - The Half Moon theatre, Cork - Ticketline 021270022

Monday, August 11th - Dolans, Limerick

Tuesday, August 12th - De Barras, Clonakilty

Wednesday, August 13th - Spirit Store, Dundalk - Ticketline 042 9352697

Friday, August 14th - Auntie Annie's, Belfast

- Special Guests for all dates on BellX1's Irish Tour comes from THE VEILS

The Veils release their new single 'Guiding Light' - produced by Bernard Butler (Suede, The Libertines, McAlmont & Butler) - on Friday, July 26th.

Advertisement