Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource for €54 and €66 a month

Options
  • 10-07-2003 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Allot of people have been wondering "why didn't you have to take the domain".

Reason: Netsource require residential users to take a domain. I don't know why. But they are a business ISP so it might be to take a higher ticket per client. Who know's but that's their policy. It might be good, some people might appretiate the domain and hosting and might dabble in web design where they hadn't before.

How to get itfor €54: You have to be the employee of a company and supply them with the company information while signing up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Does this really work, i mean it wont put me or the company i work for in any problem?
    And also will i still need to get the domain? if so where is the price difference?

I have a feeling that the domain requirement is a easy way for them to avoid any problems if anyone want to crack down a a warez monkey, actually no easier way that to just lookup who own the domain name and send them right to jail or a small fine depending on how much we are talking about.
    This way Netsource will never have to worry about what their users do with their free download, aint that smart!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

I work for a company, I got the company form, it had options to fill in the company details.

The invoice is addressed to the company.

I only pay €45 a month (€54.40 including vat)

The other residential for includes the domain option which must be taken

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Why is there ushc a hassle over paying for the domain name?
    You're getting uncapped low-latency 512/128 RADSL, a fixed IP and a domain name for €66 a month. How can you compalin?
    That's almost exactly what I said I wanted for broadband in Ireland in a thread about 6-9 months ago.

Has anyone managed to register a .ie domain name with a discretionary name (ie not their own actual name *Bob Jones* etc. or a business registration but more like tomlovesbunnies.ie)???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

That just boggles the mind. They insist that residential users take the domain, but don't mind if businesses don't?

Nice one Netsource.

[Edit] Because that is a hugely inflated price for a domain and while €55 is just about affordable for a lot of people, €66 just pushes it beyond my (and I'm sure others') justifiable expense :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Sounds like a great idea, but effectively the company you work is kind if the customer then which means if there was ever to be a complaint against your IP of any sort this could possibly effect the reputation of your company, and in case you work for a big American company like many of us do that could be a problem as you would get booted out and possibly even face a lawsuit..

If you could lay this fgear to rest by something i have missed i hope many people will use this trick, otherwise i suggest to be carefull.

It is kind of the same thing when using your company mail to send private mails, it might have your name on it, but it can also be seen as a official letter from the company you work for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think the idea is that if your company is a Netsource customer, and is already paying for a domain (or for one of the more expensive ADSL packages), they will let that company buy additional SOHO ADSL packages without having to purchase an additional domain for each one. All of which is quite logical and straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I dont know if its the same for all the domains they give out.. but a friend of mine who has them has his domain.. I checked and it was registered to an Australian Company. I could not get a price directly on the site without filling in a load of forms.. i could not be arsed but check it out those who have domains.. see if you can find out how much Netsource are paying for the domain that you in turn are paying €10 a moth for... chances are its twice as much for us or more.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Saruman
    see if you can find out how much Netsource are paying for the domain that you in turn are paying €10 a moth for... chances are its twice as much for us or more.

Twice only!! www.gandi.net charge me EUR 15 per year for my .com. I'd say at whole sale rates Netsource are only paying about EUR 10 -12 per year for a .com and about Eur 40 a year for a .ie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Post a Netsource-registered domain name and we'll tell you pretty quickly how much they're paying.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

*That just boggles the mind. They insist that residential users take the domain, but don't mind if businesses don't?

Nice one Netsource.*

My dad wanted to register his business for their broadband and they still insisted he get a domain name from them even though he already has one. he told them them where to stick it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Post a Netsource-registered domain name and we'll tell you pretty quickly how much they're paying.

<smart_alec>
    err...www.netsource.ie
    </smart_alec>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

I rang the IEDR, they charge about 50 euro plus vat to resellers per domain name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

do they including hosting with that domain? and email?

The IEDR don't provide hosting with their domain names - they are a registrar and just provide the domain registration. They are also horrendously overpriced compared to other TLD registrars (.co.uk, .com) but that's another matter...

Netsource's 10 Euro is just for the domain name - hosting is extra and starts at 28 Euro/month. (Email is also extra - 7 Euro/month.)

Obviously Netsource are making a profit on the domain name (that's how businesses work) but to be honest it is not extortionate - their pricing is lower than the IEDR's retail pricing of 125+VAT/year.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

www.elmuerko.com

Thats the one i signed up for, nothings on it at the minute, i cant get my modem to work with netsource (probably due to my cluelessness {is that a word}) so I havent even thought about settign up a web server.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by blorg
    The IEDR don't provide hosting with their domain names - they are a registrar
    Strictly speaking they're a registry that provide registrar services at extortianate pricesi. The reason they charge so much is that they don't really want to provide registrar service, they'd prefer you to deal with registrar, but they're too feckless to simply stop providing the service.

adam /cues jmcc

Perfectly true, but even their wholesale rates are extortionate - IEDR wholesale rates are about 8 times wholesale rates for .com / .co.uk

And then there's the paperwork, which will probably cost you more than the domain itself (business name registrations, solicitor/accountant's letter, etc) if you want a .ie

Advertisement