Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic O/C

Options
  • 10-07-2003 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Any of the overclocking veterans might be able to help me here.

I just aquired a Dell Latitude cp 233/mmx 48mb ram.(obsolete freebie !)

Was wondering is it possible to o/c somthing like this?

It's odd cos you can get into the bios straight from windows.

The only option in there is: BOOT SPEED 233 or compatible.

Anybody know of any bios update for this system that might enable some overclocking?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

There's some stuff in this thread from the dell site, not specifically about overclocking but probably worth a look:
    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=latit_upgrade&message.id=3191&page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Is this a laptop ?
    If so I think your stuck?
    If its a desktop those old dells have a jumper on the motherboard which sets the cpu speed
    All you can do is try it in different places.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you are going to open it .. - though not recommended.

First squeeze as much ram as you can into it.
    Next find the oldest SW that does what you want - bloat will slow you down... Disable all the junk you don't need (ie55 rather than 6??) - Otherwise all any processor upgrade / tweaks will do is keep the "eye candy" and taskbar apps happy...

Notebooks are generally sold as a sealed unit - no user servicable parts etc. - There is a P133 latitude at home - CD is dodgy - lid catch is broken - admin password has been lost. I can fix all these - spring / replacement CD - But it's just not worth the risk of trashing a working word processor (don't worry I have a spare 2GB drive stashed away..)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Yep its a Latitude cp laptop. I take it there isnt any jumpers on there to alter the fsb?

Well thanks for the help lads

Cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You'll end up breaking plastic tabs all over the place

Check the dell forums as per Gyck....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I don't see why you should be afraid to take it apart.
    I took that you got it for free so it'd be no loss to you if you broke it. (No gain though either! Well apart from the experience.)
    I have a very servicable Toshiba laptop running at 700MHz with 256MB RAM and I've taken it completely apart. I've even taken the LCD out of it (They're surprisingly thin when out of all that casing!!)
    As long as you don't start yanking at things and take constant patience refills you'll be fine :)
    General rule of thumb -- Take all the screws out. If it still doesn't come apart then leave it alone!!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Wavey
    Yep its a Latitude cp laptop. I take it there isnt any jumpers on there to alter the fsb?

Well thanks for the help lads

Cheers

It's a Pentium MMX 233
    They don't go any higher
    It's 66/70Mhz FSB x 3.5 multiplier.
    It won't go any higher.
    Does it have a built-in nic/1 or more serial ports/IrDA port, Parallel etc.?
    What size hard drive?
    CDROM?
    It'd make a nice little terminal machine, or even a webserver :)

Cheers for the replies lads,

SyxPak: What is a nic/1 port?

It does have ir, serial, parallel. I read the posts at the dell site but there nothing about overclocking this machine, only upgrades.
    Although I did read that there is a 400Mhz p2 available for the mmc1 chipset and i think that is the same as mmx.
    Would I be right in thinking that?
    I've been keeping an eye out for one on Ebay but very few will ship out of the States( damn zenaphobics :D)

Might actually stick an ad in the classifieds here come to think of it.

Wavey

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

That 400 PII is a different chip than the Pentium 233MMX as the 233 is a PI

Bang in the tag no on Dell's site - this will give you the age and basic info.
    TBH most of the things like IR / NIC are either obvious or not present and on a machine of that age can't be bought as add on's

The BIOS will list all the ports - after that you are buying PCMCIA cards. Or if you're very lucky a docking station with a built in NIC - some also have built in SCSI (get an external boxand can daisy chain loads of drives / tbu's etc..) and can take PIC cards - very handy ...

If not have pw then you'll need proof of purchase - This is in case a thief asks for the password.. And personally anything that decreases the value of stolen notebooks is fine by me..

if you have the proof of purchase or know where it came from you could ring up dell and ask what options / OS came with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Wavey
    SyxPak: What is a nic/1 port?

NIC: Network Interface Card - the jack looks like a fatter phone socket.

/1 port: "1 or more serial ports" :)

As in a Lan connection (RJ45), then yep It has a nic 1

Yep its really only good for a terminal machine. Trying to gather enough lan cables to reach the sitting room!

Advertisement