Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Have to get a moped :(

Options
  • 10-07-2003 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Unfortunatly i have to bite the bullet and buy a moped as i can not afford the insurance on a 125.

now the question is which one do i go for?

do not want one of those ones that you can hear coming from a mile off. what's the insurance on 80cc like? and can anyone recommend a good bike shop. would prefer to get a new one as don't want to have to deal with the problems if it breaks and there is no warranty.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Try and get a new 1, some do deals with 1 yrs free insurance.

If u cant get that in the deal, then dont bother insuring it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Rander00, you're a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

If I was getting a moped now I'd probably go for something like a honda shadow. It's testing your limits a bit but the 90cc version is quite nice and doesnt potter around like it's big, heavy, 50cc brother. It's still big and heavy but it looks (and drives) a whole lot better than those other things on the road.

And yes, I echo stephens statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

looks nice but is a tab bit too expensive on the old insurance.

2701.67 third party :(

might have to just go for a stinking 50cc

That's crazy. How old are you?

• Advertisement

am 22, no driving experience and is being used in Dublin :)

i was think that i t might be cheaper on the insurance to buy new as they add more depending on how old it is?

I don't think that's quite true. I'm 20 and driving a 125cc Yamaha virago, paying €711 third party only. I'm quoted the same premium for pretty much any group 2 125. But I have a full license and decent no claims. Still, that's absolutely crazy what they're quoting you.

FYI, after tinkering with hiberniandirect.com, I got quoted €787 for a 2002 reg Honda Shadow 90cc. In my experience that 787 translates to 711 when I go through my broker.

This country is such a rip off.

Originally posted by Stephen
    I don't think that's quite true. I'm 20 and driving a 125cc Yamaha virago, paying €711 third party only. I'm quoted the same premium for pretty much any group 2 125. But I have a full license and decent no claims. Still, that's absolutely crazy what they're quoting you.

FYI, after tinkering with hiberniandirect.com, I got quoted €787 for a 2002 reg Honda Shadow 90cc. In my experience that 787 translates to 711 when I go through my broker.

This country is such a rip off.

that was the site i used, in what way did you thinker with it? :)

am looking for a bike in the range of 2000-3000 and then about 1500 for insurance, what could you recommend for that? or should i just go for a second hand one?

Well, i didn't "tinker" with it, just entered all details as accurately as possible. I have 4 years no claims bonus, which usually equates to a 40% discount. Add a full licence to that and its even better.

I'm currently hunting for a second hand Honda Varadero 125. Most people are looking for around €4000-4500 for a 02 model. You could get other bikes like my Virago (;)) for about 2500 euros in the 99-00 range.

Insurance for me is €711 on both bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

damn was about to consider a moped myself thinking the insurance would be cake ...

Belgium Moped : 135 euro (insurance)

• Advertisement

Its things like this that make me want to emigrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

always wondered how irish afford to pay off these prices ? is this a loan each year ? sorry hijacked your post.

ignore me !

I just save money from my part time job each year. When i first got my bike I had to get a loan to pay the insurance - which cost more as I only had a provisional licence at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Wook
    always wondered how irish afford to pay off these prices ? is this a loan each year ? sorry hijacked your post.

ignore me !

For me, half loan, half cash saved.

Next year should be much better when I have a full licence.

€2700 is a bit mad on a 90cc, must be group 2?

If you must get a moped, get a vespa. They look better than standard skanger mopeds, and don't really sound like a hairdryer on wheels.

Plus there's a big community of people who modify their vespas and stuff. Seen some pretty sweet ones with radiator cooling and stuff.

As long as you don't increase the engine size, the insurance company needn't know :)

thanks for the advice will look into the vespa's but any way i look at this it going to cost a fortune.

but i am going to be going in and out of town ever day for about 8 months and just finished doing it for six months on the bus and i am not doing it again!

Originally posted by Trebor
    looks nice but is a tab bit too expensive on the old insurance.

2701.67 third party :(

might have to just go for a stinking 50cc

dear god.. what is with all the outlandish insurance quotes flying around? Have hibernian got 500% greedier since I last got a quote? 2700 quid on a 90cc scooter is nothing but madness, madness I tells ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

if you want to drive anything with a enigine in this country (and no it doesnt matter what) you need a bank blance like bill gates and the nerves of super man

... and a fairly hefty supply of prozac for when your renewal notice comes thru the letterbox :(

try getting insured on your dad,s 2,2 liter toyota camry and then your really know what the americans ment by "shock and awe" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Try looking into a vintage vespa, they are shedloads cheaper to insure as a vintage bike, still easy to find parts (vespa's ain't changed that much :D )

I had a '70 Sprint 150cc. Great fun and dirt cheap to insure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by bizmark
    try getting insured on your dad,s 2,2 liter toyota camry and then your really know what the americans ment by "shock and awe" :rolleyes:

LOL :D

Didn't realise insurance on the mopeds was so expensive. WOW! Was considering it myself because I can't park the car in town and you can park a moped a lot easier. I've been back on public transport recently and it not a barrel of laughs thats for sure. I hate it with a passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

dirt cheap to insure.

Forget I said that. Man, the cost of scooter insurance has gone through the roof.

Me - '02 Ford Focus 1.6 Auto = 1400 euro
    Fecking 125 Scoot = 1040 euro

Have Hibernian gone mad or is it all the scanger "it was nicked, honest" scooter insurance jobs.

na its a good plan

ohhhhhhhhhh 125cc moped eh sir that will be 1000 euro.......... you could however go for a car for only 600 euro more :rolleyes:

seems like once again our beloved insurance basturds are sucking us dry and comeing up with tatics to do it (maybe they find it a sport now ? )

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Dare I suggest a bicycle?

I used to have a scooter, then sold it when I moved into a place in town.

Cost of insuring this 50cc beast on a provisional: £970 fully-comp (which I thought was well over the odds)

This was in 2001, no no-claims, registered in Dublin etc.

Of course another reason for selling it was that they were looking for more to insure it the following year despite the fact that I had a full licence for it at that stage plus one years no-claims.

Maybe they figure that once you've had it one year you're dependent on it. I sure showed them! :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

How much did it cost you to move into town though....

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Nothing

:)

Advertisement