Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading RAM on laptop! Help please!

• 10-07-2003 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite S1900-303 laptop. It's a pretty good laptop and I'm happy with it but I would like to up the RAM a bit.

It's got 256MB RAM but I won't to go upto 512MB or 1GB. I have upgraded desktops before but I'm not really sure where to go to buy the right stock or even put it in myself. If I buy the RAM off some company, how do I know it will be the right stock and if not can I return.

I got the laptop from PC World but there is no way in hell that I'm going back to them to ask them to do it.

I'd appreciate any advice or links to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Go to www.crucial.com they have a massively extensive database on all retail PCs and what type of RAM comes with them. Just select your make from the pull down list in the top center of the page and follow through and you'll get the type of RAM that came with your system.
    When you get to the page where it shows you the RAM there's system details at the bottom. That'll tell you the max RAM your system can take.
    Very useful.
    You can buy RAM there or at,
    www.komplett.ie,
    www.elara.ie

edit: Here's the same thing from Kingston Technology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dynamic.ie

Thanks,

I ordered the ram and should be here today. Just wondering if you know where the memory slots are on this model?

I don't want to go opening up all the different panels looking for it but if I have to I will. I was told it might be under the keyboard but can't see a way of opening it up to have a look.

Thanks for you help.

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

According to the Toshiba website, there is a panel on the underside, more or less in the middle, and to the left of the cooling vent which contains the memory slot and the wi-fi expansion slot.

This is on the model 1905-S303, which is as close as I could find to your listed model.

Regards

XDA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dynamic.ie

Thanks mate. I did some searches on the net but came up a blank. I didn't see the info on their website and when I rang them to ask them... they wouldn't tell me.

"We're not allowed give out that information to end users" - I was told.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dynamic.ie
    "We're not allowed give out that information to end users"
    :rolleyes:
    Idiots. It's your damn laptop and you're not asking for company secrets. If you wanted to take out the RAM and build it into a meccano model that would be your own business.

/makes note: Toshiba support not willing to help on simple question. May be completely unwilling to help with major problem.

Chances are you'll have no problem finding the slot with XDA's info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

So on the whole buying ram thing for yur comp, i am wanting to do that. I have dell dimension 4400 Win XP, and i heard that u can't just get any kind of ram, so i just wondering how do i go about finding out what kind of ram i need? I went to the dell site and it said to put in this special service code thats on the comp and i did that and then i said it couldn't profile my comp and find out what i needed?? So how would i go about finding out what ram i need as i want to upgrade to 521mb or 1gb also. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

See the post from RAZ above - the links to the crucial and kingston web sites should sort you out. Once you know what kind of ram you need then buy it from komplett.ie

Regards

XDA

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"We're not allowed give out that information to end users" - I was told.

Yeah that sounds like PC world all right as in "I can't tell you what I don't know meself..."

But My Tosh came from BMS :)

Advertisement