Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Likes / Dislikes

Options
  • 10-07-2003 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Whats this cloud test thingie i see on the side of everyones posts? is it new ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

So what is this option under the avatar? how does it work, why is it there, and all that jazz

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Be calm citizen. Consume. All is well. Cloud is at play. god help us all

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

NM. I'm sure it will be good! Can't delete my post off admin!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Sure is, it's a new function called likedis - you can add your Likes / Dislikes in the User CP on the right hand side.

I've just finished writing the hack today so there's potentially some changes to be made.

If anyone can figure out the best way to get the I'm Feeling Lucky and ODP links back into the URL 1 / 2 text boxen let me know.

Enjoy :)

J.
    --

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭jammy_dodger

Are there any rules on what you post in it.
    Cause if muppetry catches on (it always does) someone will post something offencive

eg.

white people

DISLIKES

BL*** People

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

have faith in the majory of us m8 where not all assholes or raceists though i do see where your comeing from

btw cloud good idea :)

Well those kind of people will have been banned long before they find that option in the CP :) Hopefully in a future version we can do some matching between people, say you like both Quake and Star Trek, you could see who is the nearest match to you and what else they like (that you might).
    If anyone can figure out the best way to get the I'm Feeling Lucky and ODP links back into the URL 1 / 2 text boxen let me know.

rightfuly so

must go figer this new thingamajig out now lol cya in 2340

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There are no rules.... like most of boards if you post stuff we find offensive we'll ban you.

Just out of curiousity when you go round to a mates house do you ask him 20 questions of what he considers polite behaviour before hangin' out with him? :):)

DeV

no after a night of old skool doom playstation muiltplayer we mostly manage to destroy some part of each other,s house and body,s :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭jammy_dodger

Just out of curiousity when you go round to a mates house do you ask him 20 questions of what he considers polite behaviour before hangin' out with him?

What an odd question !

No, but i generally get to know someone, and have a good idea of what they're about before i call to their home.

Anyway ill be updateing my likes and dislikes, shortly.

oh and this has to be my favorite Devore quote
    There are no rules

and this is my favourite jammy_dodger quote:
    Originally posted by jammy_dodger

No, but i generally get to know someone, and have a good idea of what they're about before i call to their home.

now theres an idea... :)

DeV.

:D good counter dev

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Cloud
    Well those kind of people will have been banned long before they find that option in the CP :) Hopefully in a future version we can do some matching between people, say you like both Quake and Star Trek, you could see who is the nearest match to you and what else they like (that you might).
    You are working on the dating board aren't you?

cloud9.jpg

soon it will be a new dateing feature ! :D

those cards are class

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't presume to think I could solve this better than you...but,

I don't know the ins & outs of PHP (or javascript), but I would think the best way is to start up a transaction using a google URL (i.e. search Term + standard options + 'I'm feeling lucky' indentifier), and then read the location header returned, and stick it in the box.

Ditto for the ODP link, but instead of putting in 'site: directory.google.com' as part of the search term, use the get variable instead (not sure what the var name is), e.g. google.com/search?..........&s=directory.google.com

Not strictly necessary, but may allow you to create a single function to deal with both links :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Interesting idea.

Just to point out - Unregistered users also get the like/dislike link beneath their nick. Not a problem, just to let you know o cloudful one.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Why not just put a dynamic text link like
    <a href="http://www.google.com/search?client=googlet&btnI=Im%2BFeeling%2BLucky&q=dynamicstuff">I'm 
    Feeling Lucky</a>

instead of the actual url?

Thanks for the suggestion seamus, I guess that's what I'm not sure about, will a header be returned for the Google page first, and the link will just be the Google I'm Feeling Lucky one. Licksy, I have a link like that opening the new window (apart from the googlet client thing, what's that do?) - something like hl=en&btnI=I'm+Feeling+Lucky&q=the+text+from+the+first+box

Keep the ideas coming! LOL at Victor. Bizmark, you called eircom "idoits" in your likedis list, I presume that was a typo :) I-do-it too!

J.
    --

Thanks for the suggestion seamus, I guess that's what I'm not sure about, will a header be returned for the Google page first, and the link will just be the Google I'm Feeling Lucky one. Licksy, I have a link like that opening the new window (apart from the googlet client thing, what's that do?) - something like hl=en&btnI=I'm+Feeling+Lucky&q=the+text+from+the+first+box

Keep the ideas coming! LOL at Victor. Bizmark, you called eircom "idoits" in your likedis list, I presume that was a typo :) I-do-it too!

J.
    --

/me can hear his brain ticking overtime

Hmmm......hmm.....hmmm..... :)

I guess iff you have a javascript function which takes two parameters: The link (e.g. hl=en&btnI=I'm+Feeling+Lucky) and the text box. Then this uses these two pieces to create the full google link. It would seem that google then just redirects you to the page - similar to the PHP header function location: "www.website.tld". Afaik, this is also the header returned to the client. So if there was some way of say, temporarily opening a new browser window with the google search page (or having it open in the background of the client computer), using javascript to extract the location header, and then closing the connection/browser window, this would suit your purpose. I think. :) I'm not overly sure.

Perhaps if you just opened a new window with the Page returned by google, and let people decide themselves if they want to copy and paste it into the text boxen.

In fact, I just thought.....

A suck em and see.....

The Javascript opens the new browser window, reads the header and copies it into the text boxen. That way a user gets to view what link is going to be placed into their likes/dislikes, and can then change it again at the click of the link - As opposed to having to copy/paste the link to see what google returned.....?

(Probably gobbledeegook :))

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

The googly thing should return some sort of refresh information in the header. I propose that the backend bit for accepting edited information should look this up when you input the information first and cache it somewhere instead of having some shenanigans going on to try and look it up for each request. We get enough complaints about site speed as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I dunno about dislikes....

If i don't like something i'm not going to encourage them by giving their website traffic....

Me: "I hate Pop stars"

Record producer webmaster: "Our site is getting more hits"

Record Producer: "GReat, lets do 10 more seasons of Pop Idol"

..its unlikely, but are you prepared to take that risk?

Are you?

god damn it i swear if that happens ill hunt you all down and make you ALL say sorry to every freaking irish person in the country:)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Doen't c&p a google 'i'm feeling lucky' result into a static link not seem a bit pointless? Like shouldn't the result be subject to change once in a while?

Maybe offer the google result along with an (optional) inputted url?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

haven't tried it yet but do you have to put in the links?

what if i say that i like women with natural breast and dislike women with fake brest's?

(btw i mean this in a serious way not as spam)

wonder what google would return for that? :)

Originally posted by ecksor
    We get enough complaints about site speed as it is.
    Isn't Javascript clientside? :)

I'm not sure exactly what Cloud wanted, but from a brief skim through the web, and some bad attempts on this machine, it should be very possible to open a new window with the google link in it, and use Javascript to get the page URL for copying back into the text box.

Personally, I'd like to see what website I'm linking to before I submit the info :)

Wouldn't getting the headers from google *after* the info is submitted be much more horrible drain on the boards.ie server? :)

(I'd do more investigating/testing on the Javascript thingie, but I'm in work, on a crap machine, and I should be studying :p)

[php]
    <?
    print google_lucky("boards cloud");

function google_lucky($search_term) {
    $lucky_path = "/search?btnI=I'm+Feeling+Lucky";
    $lucky_path.= "&q=" . urlencode($search_term);

$http_conn = fsockopen("www.google.com", 80);

fputs($http_conn, "GET " . $lucky_path . " HTTP/1.0\r\nHost: www.google.com\r\n\r\n");
    while( !feof($http_conn) ) {
    if( ereg("Location: (.+)", fgets($http_conn, 128), $url_matches) ) {
    return $url_matches[1];
    }
    }
    }
    ?>
    [/php]

When run from the command line we get:
    jerry@muppet $ php -q lucky.php 
    [url]http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/board/an/localities.northam.usa.states.kansas.counties.cloud/25/next/71[/url]
    jerry@muppet $

Seems like a bit of a rough way of doing it, but it works. If anyone can point me to a neat library that does the same thing (or extracts headers) then that would be cool.

Originally posted by seamus
    Isn't Javascript clientside? :)

Doesn't matter, the menus are clientside and they slow the site down as far as the user is concerned.

Wouldn't getting the headers from google *after* the info is submitted be much more horrible drain on the boards.ie server? :)

Not really, and besides, you only do it once, when the user submits the string.

(And people shouldn't need to have javascript enabled to use our site properly goddammit).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

The "Like" & "Dislike" image icons aint working :)

Don't understand why we HAVE to put in 2 URLs though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by ecksor
    (And people shouldn't need to have javascript enabled to use our site properly goddammit).
    Can I just wholeheartedly agree with that please, thx.

Advertisement