Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Likes / Dislikes

Options
2»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

and what do ye suggest for the nav dropdown (the one everyone complains if it dissappears for like... 2 seconds) eh EH?

Seriously though. Wtf is wrong with Javascript? And how would you navigate 250+ boards without it?

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I don't mind having a javascript menu (although I hate the current one), but I personally navigate around using the usercp and the last20 feature of the front page. I'd rather have big honking category buttons similar to the 5 dudes on the current page to get to the forums, instead of one little link saying 'bulletin' that most users can't see and if your mouse is dirty the chances are you'll hit the wrong link anyway.

The point is that if you have javascript turned off you can still get around the site (as long as you already know where everything is). Some sort of frankenstein javascript function opening windows and parsing the resulting location signifies a lack of functionality for users who don't have javascript. Does anyone have difficulty selecting sorting orders in the photopost application? I notice it has drop down options but no way of submitting them without the onChange event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Good idea. Perhaps change it to only show when an user has some listed... think of us poor 56k-ers who'll click on useless links!

I'll be quiet now.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I "like" everything the way it is! bah change = bad.

That is change in navigation method, if you have a sticky mouse, its time to get a new one.

I'm on 56k, I think if the js element were missing* it would make it far more difficult to navgate, the only change I would even consider proposing would be giving the top of the page its own frame.
    I don't know how well that would work, but it would mean people wouldn't have to wait 4 seconds for the menus to load. Thats about all I'd change, and its not that important to me.

*Why would anyone disable javascript?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by CuLT
    I'm on 56k, I think if the js element were missing* it would make it far more difficult to navgate, the only change I would even consider proposing would be giving the top of the page its own frame.

Nobody is talking about getting rid of javascript menus.

*Why would anyone disable javascript?

Cross site scripting worries perhaps, or proxies may strip out javascript before it gets to the user. Not all browsers support javascript, and in the case of boards specifically, it is almost or completely unusable in some browsers until you disable the javascript.

But this is all beside the point anyway. You have your javascript. Good for you. Events and menus and all that muck will most likely always work for you and things in general will stay fine for you. I'm referring to features that will only work in a javascript browser as being a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

OK...is there anyway of turning it off? It's bugging me for some reason.

I think it would have been better if it were down on the bottom of the post with "www" "profile" etc, rather than the left hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by DeVore
    Seriously though. Wtf is wrong with Javascript? And how would you navigate 250+ boards without it?
    As the Mac users are always complaining about - the javascript/dhtml thing isn't always acceptable in non-IE browsers. I switched off Javascript for Boards on my Mac ages ago and have found that some places in particular are difficult to get to. If you would like - I can tally up a good long list for you. (one in particular is this link which is difficult to find even with the drop down menu.)

Mind you - being a Mac user does have other benefits on boards. For some reason many of Mercury_Tilts posts randomly disappear every so often.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Woh we're going way OT!

I am currently forcing the selection of a Google Directory category for the second URL so that we can do some cool matching later on - trust me, it will be worth it...

Thanks,

John.
    --

Thinking of replacing the text with an image, what do you think?

likedis1.jpglikedis2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sweeet.

White one for likes, black for dislikes, yeah?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Originally posted by seamus
    Sweeet.

White one for likes, black for dislikes, yeah?

:)

Thats Racist ;)

Nope it's just for the different themes (that didn't sound right when I said skins).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Oh i thought it was for users you liked an disliked.

Umm hope Mordeth doesnt click on mine :D

kdjac

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Actually I secretly love it when people use stuff we create for purposes we never forsaw.

Officially I have to frown of course but when noones looking I giggle...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I like the feature but as someone said ealier I don't think it should be in the lefthand side of the page. Its busy enough over there (look at shinji's one ffs) and I think it would fit in nicely beside buddy on the bottom.

Yes I think you are right Thorbar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Down with the other buttons (profile etc) makes the most sense imho.
    Originally posted by lordsippa
    Good idea. Perhaps change it to only show when an user has some listed.
    If the system will take it (I'm thinking Scotty shouting "It'll nae take it") I like that idea too.

the problem with putting it beside "buddy" is the skins. Someone will have to do an image for each type of skin or what looks ok in one skin will look like a sore-thumb in another...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

imo my way is better :)

kdjac

I 'haxored my gibson' like a Custom made 1979 sunburst skin coloured music machine Les Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Bah, that "likedis" text is sticking out like a sore thumb and pissing me off :]

H'yar:

H'yar:

And h'yar:

Not perfect but MEH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

They look pretty decent Pie.

I love it when people do that... rather then bemoaning the fact, they fix it and hand us a solution. Fair play Pie!

DeV.

• Advertisement

PiE, you're a star - all styles updated.

Advertisement