Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soul Calibur 2 GC

Options
  • 10-07-2003 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

Ahhhhhhhhh..*drools* I played soul calibur 2 on the GC while in L.A. First imrpessions are veeeery good, but its quite similar to the original. The only playable charachters were nightmare and cassandra though. I wasnt too pleased that you have to press a button to block too, reminded me too much of mortal kombat: DA.
    The release date is 28 (or 23rd, i forget) of september here. mmmmmmm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Hopefully this will be good, why cant nintendo get a decent beat em up (smash bro is good but doesnt req skill my wife beats cos she presses buttons faster)

Me needs a decent fighting game and hopefully this be it.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I have soul caliber 2 on PS2 ( 5 euros ) /me loooooooves teh messiah 2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I played it in America. I found the graphics worse on all the other systems than they were on the original DC. ( Hope I didn't stir up the nest of DC fanboys)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Soul Calibur 1 was way better. The parrying is way too easy on the new one. It's like counters on DOA3 now.

I've been playing tons of VF4: Evolution lately and it makes it hard to go back to the other 3d fighters. It's just so exact and technical. The timing on Soul Cali is way too loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

I think the main problem with Soul Caibur games is that it is fun to play. How stupid are namco making a fighting game fun to play? They should have spent all the time they wasted on making it fun doing something like focusing on the timing and making it competitively better. It would be much better if this game looked more like Virtua Fighter 3TB, because that was a very simple game. There are also too many moves. And its not realistic, I mean sword and explosions wtf??? It would be so much better if you could just punch and kick. Then it would be a good game and no fun at all.

Cop on namco, the only people who are going to buy your game at this rate are those who want to have fun.

A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Jeeze, Yeah, you're right!
    Imagine having fun playing a game!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

it is ****in fantastic!!!!!!!!! coooooool, its the best fighting game ive played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I just want another excuse to stare at Ivy for a few hours :D

Originally posted by Asuka
    I think the main problem with Soul Caibur games is that it is fun to play. How stupid are namco making a fighting game fun to play? They should have spent all the time they wasted on making it fun doing something like focusing on the timing and making it competitively better. It would be much better if this game looked more like Virtua Fighter 3TB, because that was a very simple game. There are also too many moves. And its not realistic, I mean sword and explosions wtf??? It would be so much better if you could just punch and kick. Then it would be a good game and no fun at all.

Cop on namco, the only people who are going to buy your game at this rate are those who want to have fun.

A

The VF 3TB comparison is hardly very fair. It was a poor port that wasn't handled by Sega. It was also the least accessable of the series.

Less moves and only 3 buttons are the strengths of VF4: Evo. The simple controls are easy for new players to pick up and don't demand that you learn off reams of combo's. It's a simple system that combines to create complex situations. Playing against real players leads to all kinds of interesting mind games.

I have a couple of Jap friends I play with and they can't find any challenges on Soul Cali 2 in the arcades there. Nobody will touch it.

But Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance just exceeded 2 million sales this week so what do I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I have a couple of Jap friends I play with and they can't find any challenges on Soul Cali 2 in the arcades there. Nobody will touch it.

Japanese arcades are the ultimate in hardcore beat 'em up madness. I don't think it's fair to compare what Junpei who lives with his mum in Asakusa and travels to the Sega arcade in Akihabara every day to play Virtua Fighter for four hours wants to play, with what Johnny who lives in Dublin and whips out his PS2 for a quick game with his mates a few times a week wants to play :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

As for the whole "its not technical and as realistic as VF4" debate,
    THEYRE WHOMPING EACH OTHER WITH BLOODY GREAT SWORDS FOR GODS SAKE!!!!!!!
    When was the last time you saw someone take a smack of a battle axe and just fall over, get up and carry on fighting? Its not meant to be relasitic, its fun!!! You know, fun!! That stuff that makes you happy!!
    Tho VF4 DOES rock.
    But i like Ivy.:p

Yeah, well. It comes back to the old Pro Evo Soccer versus FIFA debate. One is balanced, deep and has lasting value and the other's made by Canadians.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

pfft... it will be great.... no discussion ;)

the only question is WHEN WILL IT BE OUT!!!??!!

didnt this board used to show monthly game news and release dates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

This week every gamer website posted dates for release for SC 2 on all formats.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=52552

kdjac

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I prefer technical fighters over button bashers so for me VF 4 is the better game. However Soul Caliber 2 is still a great game. It really depends on what type of game you like. SC 2 may not be as technical as VF4 but at least it's far better than the spiritual sequel to daley thompsons decathalon i.e. Dead or Alive 3.

It's out now. Get freeloader and import it. There's very little Japanese.

A good stick is essentiel.

It's hard to understand how DOA series got so bad. The first one was rather good.

Squaresoft need to start doing more Tobal games. They were excellent. There's so little choice in 3d fighters nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Originally posted by Deadwing

When was the last time you saw someone take a smack of a battle axe and just fall over, get up and carry on fighting? .:p

i saw two fat guys fighting ove the last tub of ice cream, hitting each other over the head with frozen turkeys, they were so large they didnt feel it, but while they were fighting i took it

Advertisement