Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a question about installing XP Pro

Options
  • 10-07-2003 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭

i've bought a new pc abit ic7-g p4 3ghz 1gb ram ddr400 geforce 4 ti4200 and xp pro.

i;m having problems installing xp the pc shuts down when i'm in the installation.

i heard somewhere Xp won't install if boot sector virus scanning is on is this true??

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

AFAIK, Windows XP changes the boot sector so you might want to check your bios for a virus scanner. Tried to format a computer with that once. Took me an hour to figure out what it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Does the installation stop at the same place every time?, if not .. have you changed your vdimm to 2.7v?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Did you format the drive first ?
    Try a different CD ?
    If you're upgrading from a different OS yes uninstall the AV.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

basically i'm installing to a clean 120gig ibm hard drive and no it stops at different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Thats Odd, i installed XP Pro on to the same Mobo and a 2.4Ghz 800Mhz and it was fine, i did have huge problems with 98 though and turning off the virus thing in the soft menu in the Bios sorted that?

Set the bios to fail safe while installing and see what happens?

Good Luck
    Rabbit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Virus protection in BIOS ROMs works by checking for changes to the boot sector of a hard drive. Since installing an operating system makes changes to the boot sector of a hard drive, you can run into problems if you have the BIOS virus protection on, QED.

right i tried turning it off but it's doing the same thing what are my options i'm thinking of sending back to komplett to get a refund?

or are the shops in town that could fix this for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Sounds like it could be a memory problem. Check to make sure your memory settings are correct in the BIOS, then try a memory module you know is working if you can.

i had my memory tested no faults there

Advertisement