Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using the Netsource domain?

• 10-07-2003 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I fired off an email to netsource as follows:
    If I cancel my subscription 12 months down the
    road, what happens to that domain name? .. can I buy it from Netsource?.

What are the limitations on the TLD, I know that you must be
    an Irish company to get a '.ie', but could I pick a '.biz' or a '.info'?

And can I host that domain on my own computer? (i.e. people on d'internet
    type in www.website.biz and the page is fetched from my computer
    over the DSL connection)

And the answer I got back was:
    The domain name registration has to be renewed monthly or annually, if you
    cancel the subscription you can keep the domain with us, or transfer the
    domain to another provider.

If you wish to set up a website, you may do that. The domain registration
    does not come with web space that is one of our ISP options.

You can pick a .biz domain or .info domain if you wish.

You can host the domain on your own computer, if you want to host your own
    DNS records that is fine, Netsource provide the connection but have no
    restrictions on what you do after that.

has anyone here hosted their domain on their own computer? what did you do for dns? any unexpected charges by netsource?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I cant believe that no-one is hosting their own website ... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

get netsource to point www.yourdomain.com to YOUR IP

install a web server

walla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by BigEejit
    I cant believe that no-one is hosting their own website ... :(

with 128 or even 256 upload I can't see whay anoyone would want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Damian

I'm hosting my own domain, or at least I will when I get aroung to updating my site At the moment I jst have a test page on Apache... :rolleyes:

DNS is no problem as Netsource register the domain pointing at your fixed IP.

Bandwidth shouldn't be a problem, I have read reports (mostly US) from others who host domains and aparently, a 256 DSL upload is more than enough for a sites which recieve a moderate amount af hits.

Far more than my site will ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

thats well and good saying that you will host your website on your own pc but it isnt a good idea security wise for your network....

If you are using a adsl gateway/router combo type of device it will more than likely have a built in firewall... this will more than likely depending on how it is configured, not allow anyone to view your website on your pc....

you would have to set up a web server in the DeMiliterised Zone solely for this purpose.. the DMZ is the place between your BB connection and your firewall.... if this is connected to your network though it could be a hole into your LAN/PC if not configured properly.....

most adsl gateway/router combo devices will specify a port to connect devices to that are in the DMZ... this removes any security threats to your network...

and most importantly... adsl is not a good option for supporting a website on.... if you are thinking of getting any type of medium hit ratio, your upload section of your BB connection will be totally sucked up while a number of people are browsing your site...

anyway hope this helps.... there are loadsa cheap hosting companies out there at the mo offering hosting for about €6 per month... i got some hosting with a company in dundalk called Eye For Design for €10 per month -> http://www.eyefordesign.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement