Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 7650 settings

• 11-07-2003 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

I bought the 7650 for my girlfriend and shes having some problems with the phone. Issues are listed below if anyone can help. She tried ringing vodaphone but they are worse thas useless.

1/ When you take a photograph and send to an email address the image comes out really small. She tried increasing picture size on the phone and re-tried sending but she never recieved the email (did this twice and was charged 49c per text but the email never arrived).

2/ What is the best way to send a photo to another phone/email address. She has setup MMS but she is charged 49c per text. Is GPRS cheaper?

3/ What is the best device to connect the phone to the PC - Blue tooth or infra red. Can anyone suggest a good buy for this?

4/ As per issue no 1 she has sent 3 picture text's to an email address. The first was low quality and arrived. She increased picture size/quality for the other 2 and they never arrived - though she was charged for them.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Originally posted by daveg

3/ What is the best device to connect the phone to the PC - Blue tooth or infra red. Can anyone suggest a good buy for this?

Bluetooth is quick, infra red is slow. I bought a bluetooth devise and connecting it is a pain in the neck. I recommend IR, but only cause I'm having problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

1/ When you take a photograph and send to an email address the image comes out really small. She tried increasing picture size on the phone and re-tried sending but she never recieved the email (did this twice and was charged 49c per text but the email never arrived).
    Are you using email or MMS to send the photos? If the latter, I believe they will be reduced prior to being sent out. Otherwise, if she is taking portrait style photos they will come out at only a resolution of 80x96. Otherwise they should be 640x480 in size.
    2/ What is the best way to send a photo to another phone/email address. She has setup MMS but she is charged 49c per text. Is GPRS cheaper?
    Bluetooth. Otherwise, use email over either GPRS or GSM. Yes, transferring images is generally a lot cheaper via either GPRS or GSM email than MMS. Price point set by the operators on MMS is a rip-off, IMHO.
    Bluetooth - personally I use the MSI Bluetooth USB Key. A little tricky to set up, but once done, works nicely indeed.
    4/ As per issue no 1 she has sent 3 picture text's to an email address. The first was low quality and arrived. She increased picture size/quality for the other 2 and they never arrived - though she was charged for them.
    Set the phone up to send your pics via email, not MMS. I find MMS an expensive waste of time, TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Neuromancer & Corinthian thanks for the replys.
    Are you using email or MMS to send the photos? If the latter, I believe they will be reduced prior to being sent out. Otherwise, if she is taking portrait style photos they will come out at only a resolution of 80x96. Otherwise they should be 640x480 in size.

She is sending them from the phone to an email address using MMS.
    Bluetooth. Otherwise, use email over either GPRS or GSM. Yes, transferring images is generally a lot cheaper via either GPRS or GSM email than MMS. Price point set by the operators on MMS is a rip-off, IMHO.

So when you say Bluetooth do you mean upload the image to the pc and then send to an email address via email?
    Set the phone up to send your pics via email, not MMS. I find MMS an expensive waste of time, TBH.

Do you mean upload her pics to vodaphone live email account and then send via email?

Thanks for the bluetooth/komplett link. I have forwarded it on to her.

So when you say Bluetooth do you mean upload the image to the pc and then send to an email address via email?
    Yes. Cheapest way of sending them. Otherwise use email to email.
    Do you mean upload her pics to vodaphone live email account and then send via email?
    You can email the pics as attachments to another account directly from a 7650. You have to set up an email account first. Then you can download them as per a normal email.

Corinthian thanks for your help. To summerise the best way for her to send an image to another phone & or email account is to attach her picture to an email (vodaphone live account) either on her PC or just on her phone and send the email via GPRS or GSM.

One other question does anyone have the settings for GPRS as her phone is giving an error when you try to send.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This should do the job, it is more likely that she is not set up correctly on the network as oppossed to your handset not being configured correctly.

As stated previously, the cheapest way to send any photos you take is to transfer them to your PC and just send them as an email.

There are rumours that the cost of MMS may be dropping soon. Rumours though!

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    This should do the job, it is more likely that she is not set up correctly on the network as oppossed to your handset not being configured correctly.

I treid setting up the phone with these settings but when you try to send an email the phone gives a "GPRS not availble" error. Anyone any idea's ?

Why don't you send via GSM? You may need seperate settings for this sent out to you though for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

i have to mention this. i think vodafone have put a limit on the size of the message you can send over MMS. i dont know what it is, but when i try send an MMS message to an email, it doesent work. also, if you ware trying to use vodafones isp over GPRS for sending emails, you cant unless your a vodafone billpay customer. finally, if you have a bluetooth dongle, you can set your phone to use that as a GPRS connection, but only within the limits of your house. check out this link (http://blog.lotas-smartman.net/archives/000295.php) for information on it.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    Why don't you send via GSM? You may need seperate settings for this sent out to you though for this.

Does anyone have these settings?
    if you ware trying to use vodafones isp over GPRS for sending emails, you cant unless your a vodafone billpay customer.

That could be it as she's on ready to go.

you can cheat with your GSM mode settings. just put the dial up number of your ISP (who ever you are using, im using an NTL number) and your away on a hack. works grand. I had it working before i moved to bill, and it still works now.

The limit is 30kb...

To be honest I dont know what settings to use for MMS if you want to use CSD as oppossed to GPRS. I am not sure they even exist.

Lotas seems to think they exist but I am not sure.

maybe im getting the wrong idea here. MMS over CSD may be posible, but i havent done it. i was thinking you where talking about email over CSD. Sorry. Got the wrong end of the message there.

I think MMS over CSD is currently not possible. WAP, Vodafone Live and Email are however.

Regarding MMS specifically, I only assume this because I have checked a few handsets and they all only seem to be able to access MMS over GPRS.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I think MMS over CSD is currently not possible.
    In theory, MMS over GSM is possible, just not very practical.

I meant that no network or handset offer the facility do so. I am presuming they will not considering MMS is seen as one of the killer apps for GPRS (well they hoped so anyway) and eventually UMTS and other third generation standards.

Regarding the original post, Vodafone has a n quibble refund policy for any MMS messages that do no deliver. just call customer care and tell them your messages did not deliver.

Advertisement