Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone to landline text messages

• 11-07-2003 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any idea when you will be able to text from Vodafone to landlines, it works both ways on meteor and O2 now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Just noticed this on the eircom website:

I have a standard home phone*:
    Your home phone will ring as normal when you have received a text to speech message. Once you pick up your phone an automated voice will tell you: "You have an eircom text to speech message. To listen to the message simply press 1.

I have a standard home phone with eircom call answering
    Text to speech messages will go straight to your voice mailbox. Text to speech messages will then act like a regular voice message and can be retrieved in the same way.

I have an SMS home phone
    Most SMS phones will be set up to receive text messages. So it is not necessary to turn text messages into speech.

The synthesised voice will even recognise popular text abbreviations. For example, if you send the text message: "cu l8r", the synthesised voice will actually say: "see you later". Find more information on text abbreviations in our text directory >>

For more information check out eircom text messaging

*You need a touch tone telephone to receive a text to speech message. If you do not answer your phone, the message will be re sent over a three and half-hour time period. If the phone is still not answered after three and half-hours the message will be lost.

So if you have a normal phone it should ring you and read it out, just tried it it didnt work. What a suprise. Anyone got this to work to a standard landline without call answering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just checked there, there is still no official update regarding the problem that is preventing Vodafone customers sending to Eircom landlines. This ability as been totally disabled from Vodafone's end to prevent customers sending messages and incurring charges not knowing it does not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Right played with this a bit more, it only seems to work to eircom SMS phones, from both meteor and O2 i get a delivery receipt for sending to people with these SMS phones, i get a failure report sending to anyone else. Seems like it doesnt work as advertised.

Advertisement