Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

white stripes pulled out

Options
  • 11-07-2003 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

The White Stripes have pulled out of Witnness - apparently it's true, Jack White has fracturd his wrist or hand. Why couldn't this have happened to David Gray?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

that is indeed terrible news,
    to make it worse the white stripes arn't plaing, don't worry, we'll get Mr. Gray next time around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

this is the official updated info...

The Flaming Lips move to Main Stage

David Kitt added &
    Revised Running Times for
    - Sunday 13th July 2003 -

11th July 2003 - US band The Flaming Lips will perform prior to David Gray on the Main stage at this weekends Witnness music festival, which takes place at Punchestown Racecourse. Naas. The Flaming Lips will replace White Stripes who unfortunately have had to postpone their entire European tour due to a car accident in the USA.

Meanwhile, David Kitt has just being announced to headline the Rising Stage (Sunday) while this years Main Stage is headlined by Coldplay (Saturday) & David Gray (Sunday). With over 100 artists, across 5 stages, over 2 days and a weekend attendance of 50,000 music fans this years festival will be the biggest to date in its four year history.

What the critics say about The Flaming Lips:

Renowned for their blistering live extravanganzas, The Flaming lips really impressed at Glastonbury when they played prior to Radiohead.

"The Flaming Lips arrive onstage to a brisk blast of Carl Orff's 'Carmina Burana'...Then the messages appear. HELLO! reads the huge pink writing. TONIGHT YOU WILL WITNESS! THE MOST SPECTACULAR THING! YOU HAVE EVER SEEN! YOUR LIFE! WILL CHANGE! FOREVER!" - NME

"During this remarkable two-hour extravaganza, Coyne performs with a strobe machine attached to his chest, unleashes a clockwork flying dove, smears fake blood down his face and gets a monkey glove puppet to "sing" one of the songs. There are vast silver spheres onstage; films both illustrate the songs and magnify Coyne's expressions. It's like Pink Floyd's early visual extravaganzas crossed with Alice in Wonderland" - The Guardian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Circe

Sniff.

I am inconsolable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Rodriguez

Sure who needs the White Stripes anyway. Im more looking forward to seeing The Mars Volta.

DANGER, DANGER, MARS VOLTA

Everybody should go see em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Noooooo worst news ever no Stripes and the flaming lips not headlining the rising stage. They'll be **** on the mainstage with loads of ****s shouting for David Gray. Plus what about all their fancy tricks like balloons from the ceiling ???? the only headliner i wanna see on the sunday now are the rednecks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Not a big loss really. I saw the Whiteys live last year and (even tho I love them as a band) found them less than less than impressive in a live open air scenario.

Anyway, I'm off to see Frank Black now. Enjoy your David Gray / Coldplay rubbish this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

this years line-up is such a let down in comparison with 2002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

so both zwan and the white stripes have pulled out? wow, with 2 of the major bands pulling out this years witnness seems like a bit of a fiasco in comparison with the other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 romey

wooh! im sorry if this makes me a b#*!h but the whites and zwan arnt playing? cool i feel better now i no longer feel like im missing out on anything, other than watching lots e heads play portaloo tipping! have fun children :D

Not that it affects me but I think it would be a good gesture on Aikenpromotions part to refund part of the cost of tickets due to this spate of high profile drop-outs.

After all how many people probably went out and bought tickets purely on the news that Zwan (and/or) White Stripes were playing only to be dissapointed? And don't give me the arguement that you can't forsee dropouts like this because I have a definete suspicion that bands look at festivals as a bit of a joke and are 10 times more ready to pull out of them than (for example) a non-festival gig that they themselves were headlining and financially/logistically accountable for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The festival is promoted by MCD and you could hardly call two acts dropping out as a "spate of high profile dropouts"!!

Really? Because on the RTE news (last Thursday I think?) they were interviewing a Witnness promoter on stage and the caption DEFINETLY listed him as being from Aikenpromotions. Either way, I think there should be some partial-refund system in place by all promoters if major acts don't turn up for a festival that still goes ahead.

Regarding 'spates' I wasn't just refering to Witness 2003. I seem to remember Ozzy Osbourne pulling out of Oz-fest last year and some other bands (sorry I can't recall which ones right now) dropping out of Witness last year also.

So if (as you imply) there isn't a significant problem of top acts dropping out of festival gigs then promoters won't have too much objection to facilitating such a suggestion. ;)

I can tell you that it is definitely an MCD/Eamonn McCann gig. Ultimately it is an advert agency that underwrites much of the cost.

With a festival you are paying for the sum of the parts and not for individual acts. Ultimately, you can't see them allwhich is the arguement a promoter would use of an act - even a key act - drops out. The headliners were Coldplay and David Gray but I dare say that many people who use this board were watching a different stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

so what are the reports for this year? after Zwan pulled out i desided not to go... heard that itw wasn't great from most people, anyone think it was good?

Certainly seemed to be a better site than Fairyhouse! Personally, I thought the "sum of the line ups" was pretty good and yes it was disappointing that Zwan and The White Stripes were unavailable. Didn't get to see much as I was working there as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Saw 16 Bands and it was brilliant. I enjoyed more than any of the previous years. Great weather and great performances from most of the bands I saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Cherry

There's a big huge long ramble from Jack White on the White Stripes' site explaining exactly what happened. Yawn. A bit late to care now.

I thought the weekend was excellent, if a bit hindered by the fact that Coldplay were utterly ****e. White Stripes weren't missed at all, until I got home & heard 7 Nation Army.

Advertisement