Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IOL tcp-ip settings

• 11-07-2003 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi All.

A mate of mine has just got IOL BB, he has a problem viewing some web sites, about 30% of what he views comes up blank,
    rang IOL support they say that the TCP-IP settings are wrong and to ring microsoft as they dont support that product (tcp-ip)
    so lads does anyone know the TCP-ip settings for iol BB,

ps. his security settings are set to low, plus a fresh install of win98se.

Thanks. Cranoo. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

wait till shin comes around he will explan it all! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Actually no isp support line will touch tcp/ip, its not in there remit to do so as its a microsoft protocol, the only thing an isp support line is supposed to do with tcp/ip is to put in some dns setting and thats it, anything else would be a grey area legally cause if something went wrong the company would be liable to pay for anything that did go wrong, at least with the support line i work for thats there policy

Usually a blank webpage issue like that is just a dnr of tcp/ip

Hope this helps

Shin

LOL AT BIZMARK :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

SEE what did i tell ya shin will explan it ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

:confused: still abit lost lads, his tcp/ip is blank so is there some settings to go in there, :ninja:

cranoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Try going to http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    and checking for any updates. They may fix the problem once they're downloaded.

• Advertisement

no settings will fix the prob its your tcp/ip stack is ****ed yell have to dnr tcp/ip, just make sure you have your windows cd handy when ye do, cause itll ask you for it when you reinstall

regards

shin

another thing to try is to remove adware or spyware

a handy little prog thatll do that for you is at

www.spybot.com

Also if he has kazaa on his machine go into add/remove progs and remove newdotnet, christ that has caused more probs with BB then i care to remember

hope this helps ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

Thanks Shin ;)

cranoo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by shinzon

another thing to try is to remove adware or spyware

One word of caution, this actually only happened to me today, working on a NT4 machine with IE5, infested with spyware but sitll could view pages fine.

Removed spyware without a problem and it fecked over net access altogether, IE and Firebird totally unable to connect to anything but I could succesfully ping any address I tried. (tried reinstalling both to no avail)
    Did'ent get time to look into it further as I had to go.
    But I think interesting none the less...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Actually no isp support line will touch tcp/ip, its not in there remit to do so as its a microsoft protocol
    <cough>
    Not that important but TCP/IP is no more a Microsoft protocol than I am. It's a protocol they use, granted but so does everything else on the Internet. It's part of the definition of what the Internet is.

TCP/IP is an open protocol (technically two since 1978) and predates Microsoft. Thank Vint Cerf for TCP. Bugger all to do with Microsoft. Lots and lots of stuff about this on the Net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Just beat me to it, Sceptre. I wonder how much would Gate$ pay to own TCP/IP?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by sceptre
    <cough>
    Not that important but TCP/IP is no more a Microsoft protocol than I am. It's a protocol they use, granted but so does everything else on the Internet. It's part of the definition of what the Internet is.

TCP/IP is an open protocol (technically two since 1978) and predates Microsoft. Thank Vint Cerf for TCP. Bugger all to do with Microsoft. Lots and lots of stuff about this on the Net.

its part of the windows operating system, i agree its an open protocol, but hey its as near as a microsoft protocol as ye can get.

anyway back on topic cranooo did ye get yerself sorted

shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

i agree its an open protocol, but hey its as near as a microsoft protocol as ye can get.
    How?

Anyway, cranoo, can your mate ping the url/ip address of the sites that are coming up blank? Can he telnet to the address on port 80?
    If it was a tcp/ip problem it's doubtful only certain sites wouldn't load.
    The only settings you'd need to put in tcp/ip's properties are the DNS addresses, I'm using 194.145.128.1 and 194.145.128.2 on Netsmart.

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    How?

emm it in windows, you quite often see micrsoft tcp/ip dial up adapter in the network settings

need i go on, just another thing bill stole that aint his

regards

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

err, it just means tcp/ip is bound to that particular adapter. Doesn't mean Microsoft own or stole the protocol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

its part of the windows operating system, i agree its an open protocol, but hey its as near as a microsoft protocol as ye can get.
    There are dead nerds all over the world turning over in their graves at that one. If any OS has a claim on TCP/IP it would be BSD 4.2 Unix, who was the first to implement it in their kernel in 1980. It was their influence that caused it to take off. Pretty much all major OS's have had it built-in since then.

The internet pretty much is TCP/IP in action. I'm sure Microsoft no doubt claim to have created the internet, but they just use it, just like the rest of us.

tbh honest dont really give 2 tosses who owns it, i tell the clients its owned by microsoft, if they need it reinstalled i either refer them to vendor or microsoft

Regards

Shin

by the way this thread is off topic I just wanna know cranoo did ye get sorted

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

i tell the clients its owned by microsoft, if they need it reinstalled i either refer them to vendor or microsoft

You do know that all you have to tell "clients" is that the networking side of windows is fecked and unfortunatly we can't touch it.

Its better to give out correct info and spent a few more seconds explaining it then give out info thats just's incorrect ...

yeah but thats no fun, yeve gotta **** em up a bit, thats the only fun i have

Regards

Shin

Advertisement