Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Love @ First Sight??

• 11-07-2003 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

I've been reading through a few of the threads on the subject of love & relationships and have noticed that there is a vast array of opinions on the topic!!

So I thought I'd start this thread to see peoples repsonse on whether they believe in true love @ first sight or not!!

I do, myself. I was cynical of the whole matter of love for years [never sticking around for very long], but then I met Chelle.

The details of our first encounter are a bit on the odd side!! I was working a close [late shift] in Maccers & had the most terrifying experience of my life. Someone had found a syringe in 1 of the toilets & being the manager in charge I had to deal with it.

Followed all the sharps procedures to the letter, but about 5 minutes after I had taken care of it, I found a small scratch on my thumb. It felt like I had stepped into an abyss. [Thankfully all the tests have come back clear]

Then Chelle came in the store with a mutual friend. We got talking & she checked my hand. In that 5 minute period, I had fallen completely in love with her.

5 years together & I have not only found my true love, but also my soul mate!!

So before everyone starts running for the nearest sick bag, I'll stop :rolleyes:

Love @ First Sight, Fact or Fiction 56 votes

Fact
    0% 0 votes
    Fiction, Love is for Saps
    71% 40 votes
    Not Sure, Never Experienced It
    28% 16 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

yeah, i definitely believe in it...
    unfortunatly i got all nervous & turned to alcahol for courage:rolleyes:
    me + alcahol = lairy

ah well, plenty more chickens out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Caffine

didnt belive in it till i experianced it, problly the same with most ppl i guess

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Surprised by the results so far. Most of the threads I've read about it contained a majority of skeptics shouting what fools believers are.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm not sure.

I met my girlfriend at a BBQ, and while I didn't actually fall for her until a year later, I certainly did feel that she'd make a good friend, which she did. Love at first sight? Doubtful, but it was certainly good friends at first sight...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

definately fact. its just a question of meeting the right person...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Love at first sight is rubbish IMO. LUST at first sight, now there's a concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by xx
    Love at first sight is rubbish IMO. LUST at first sight, now there's a concept.

I'm very suprised aswell I think it's down to people not understanding the difference between love and lust xx hit the nail on the head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Love at first sight and soulmates are more or less the same thing. Having researched the subject extensively I believe 'love'and 'true love' are two different entities. It's naive to think that there's just one person for everyone but not everyone gets to experience 'true love' either. And not everyone believes it when they experience it.

But 'true love' does last. That's not from personal experience, but from the experiences of others I've interviewed while doing my research. No matter what happens people that 'truly love' go back to each other even after big breakups and stay together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭nuvolari

lust at first sight - definitly
    liking someone straight off - sure
    love, and i mean real love, at first sight - nope.

i think love is something that comes over time. you can want to be with someone for a reason you can't explain, but thats just what gets you to the stage where you can fall for someone.

but then i think there's a world of difference between loving someone and being in love with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I have to say I'm surprised @ the results too!

I was convinced that there would be a resounding Nah ....

So I'm not a love drunk sap then :D :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

well it is 12 to 13 at the mo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Don't believe in love really... for many reasons.

Been hurt or ****ed about too much, kinda does that to a person hehehehe!

Gah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Can't agree with you there Amzeh...

I've been in love enough times to believe in it totally.

Mind you, I've been hurt and had my heart wrenched still-beating from my chest only to be stomped on repeatedly with size 13 spikey soled boots enough times to be very wary and reserved when it comes to relationships.

Generally I've a 50ft wall up around my heart and only very rarely does my guard drop.

As regards love at first sight - yes, I voted yes, cos I do believe it's possible, rare as it may be, to make that deep connection in such a short yes magical instant and to know you've found 'the one'.

/me wanders off and plays John Paul Young's "Love Is In The Air (Ballroom Mix)" on the jukebox :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Nah, I believe in lust at first sight but thats about it. I was at a gig last Friday and this woman who looked exactly like a skinny Kate Winslet was standing right infront of me beforehand. I mean she was beautiful! But besides being a stunner from what I overheard of her conversation and saw of body lingo she also seemed like the sweetest girl in the world to boot. Basically she seemed perfect! Now if I was ever gonna experience L.A.F.S it would have been with this woman ... but I didn't even come close to feeling it.

So in answer to your question I would reckon 'no there is no such thing'. It's all just a scam to sell hallmark greeting cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I think its more a case of LUST at first sight. i once knew this girl who i found very attractive when i first saw her but i didnt actually develop a crush on her till a month later. i think ya have to get to know the person b4 you develop a crush on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Yes.

Definitely lust at first sight...

Love is a completely different thing altogether. It's possible someone might lust after the person they are later on in "love" with and mistake the initial feelings as the same. Lust is a pretty strong feeling.

I'm too young to be a cynic apparently but I'm not I don't think naieve enough to believe in Love at first sight. Not looking for anything of the sort. I'm happy enough to continue as I am. I prioritised people and relationships in the past because I believed the people concerned to be important enough to ignore things like my education, health and mental well being. Even as recently as this month the people I prioritised ****ed me over or didn't recognise the effort I was putting into it and I'm not prepared to put up with that any more. People who know/knew I like/d them didn't give a **** so why should I continue to care/worry? I'm not going to any more, maybe I'll start getting a decent nights sleep now!

I have my friends and I would bend over backwards for them, but as far as anything else goes I don't care, I've wasted too much time worrying about it. I don't need it nor do I want it for that matter!

I'm not going to apologise for how I feel or for how it makes others feel because I'm sick of trying to keep everyone happy.Sick of walking on eggshells sick of apologising!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Well I'm a romantic sort,... and I'm a poet (hence the nick)... and I've lived long enough to have gone through a few rocky relationships... and I still believe in love itself.

Love at first sight is a different matter. I guess it depends on just how romantic you are.

PS: I'm pissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i don't believe in it. you can't love someone until you know them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

well of course there is lust at first sight, as a guy i get lust at first sight all the time, there are just many pretty looking girls walking around.

i dont think you can have proper "love" at first sight as that only comes after you get to know the person. but i have definietly experienced some kind of "ickle love" at first sight. a feeling that went past lust and pushed me to get to know the person properly which then grew into love. this was definitely not lust though, as with lust i never would act on it but with that friday feeling i experienced i knew had to go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mavedic

Don't believe in it, i think you have to know someone before you can love them. Lust and a desire to get to know someone are different things to the 'love at first sight' notion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

It's possible. All things are when it comes to people. Love is a simple thing made complicated by the interference of humanity. Those who say love at first sight is merely lust are denying the possibility of an exchange of energy, a connection that is a communication on a level that we cannot perceive as of yet as communication - loads of scientific evidence that such communication (on an energy level) could exist. Ok, maybe scientician proof :D but tis not outside the beyonds.

I think it can happen. My partner and I knew each other for 5 years before we fell in love, but we clicked deeply at first sight - just to young, too hormonal and too distratced by potential to realise it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Girlygirl

Originally posted by nuvolari
    lust at first sight - definitly
    liking someone straight off - sure
    love, and i mean real love, at first sight - nope.

I don't think it's as simple as that - I think the phenomenon that people refer to as "love at first sight" does exist, but it's not actually love (that takes time). It's a mixture of infatuation, lust and a kind of premonition of things to come.

hmmm, i definitely beleive in it more than ever after this weekend.:)
    i was at a party (nee rave) a few weeks back & the woman i've imagined myself marrying for the last 5 years was there... had a chat with her, turned out she was single & fairly interested...
    after the chat meh goes wandering around, as i'm prone to do.
    i ended up bumping into *unf* incarnate, got chatting to her & i basically forgot about chixor #1 completely.
    we were pretty much inseperable for the entire night but things got a little freaky when the sun came up:(
    met her again on saturday night after texting her a few times during the weeks leading up to it and we seemed to be going out together, then things got a little freaky again....................
    jebus, that chicks more hardcore than me...
    just got a text off her & i'm to fried to reply to it:(

Originally posted by Girlygirl
    I think the phenomenon that people refer to as "love at first sight" does exist, but it's not actually love

so love at first sight doesn't exist, people just think it does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

totally agree Mercie

the correct terminology is 'lust at first sight'

it is not possible to love someone you just met, how can you? you don't know them yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

have all you lust at first sight people never experienced anything that went past lust ? maybe not love at first sight but a stronger connection than lust ?

i think you can have an intrest in someone at first sight. but you have to get to know them before you can call it love. but 9 times out of 10, its not love

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The word love is annoyingly imprecise and used to convey too many different ideas. How does what you feel towards your parents, for example go under the same word as what you feel when you have sex with someone you really like and who really turns you on?

Love at first sight can only be called so in retrospect. You might see someone somewhere and feel some very strong attraction towards them but if you never get to know them, it will soon be forgotten. If, however, you had gotten talking to them and ended up going out with them and really falling in love with them(i.e. caring deeply for them and admiring them greatly and wanting to be with them above all others), you'd probably say it was love at first sight.

From my own experience, I got together with a person who was in my class at uni. We were in the same class for 8 months but we only got together at the end of the course. It's tempting now to look back at the times we were in lecture halls etc together and try to find signs of how we were attracted to each other but it would be false to do so as getting together with each other was the last thing on both our minds at that time. (Precision: we were in the same class but didn't know each other all that well, had just had a few conversations).

Lust at first sight - yes, it's possible!
    Love? no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Lust is not the right word. Its too sexual.

Desire is more apt.

A desire for someone in a way you dont really know. You just notice them and have a certain desire.

Isn't the very nature of that feeling you get when you first see someone and are attracted to them kinda like "Rar! I wouldn't mind getting up to mischief with him/her!"

or is that just me?

I mean since you don't know them or anything really about them, it's easy to just attatch all these desires to them without any emotional attatchment to them...

Gah! not making with the sense here is I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

More than the "Love At First Sight", I believe in Puppy Love. When you see someone and as said above, you just totally lust for them.
    Although, I can't say it doesn't exsist, It has just never happened to me.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

I dunno sometimes you just see someone and you just get a feeling.................

Sometimes it doesnt work out but you still never stop loving that person.................

and it hurts everyday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Originally posted by Wolf
    I dunno sometimes you just see someone and you just get a feeling.................

Sometimes it doesnt work out but you still never stop loving that person.................

and it hurts everyday :(

Group hug for Wolf!! :) Don't worry, you'll stumble across some Ozzie girl and she'll make it all better!!

As for love at first sight, I don't think t exists but lust at first sight definitely does- and it makes life so much more interesting. In fact it even makes work interesting.. on occasion!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Funny you should say about an Ozzy girl there is one over there that im hoping to catch up with so...................... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Originally posted by Wolf
    Funny you should say about an Ozzy girl there is one over there that im hoping to catch up with so...................... :D

Good luck with that!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 BigglesWorth

I wish it didnt exist, Ive been messed with to many times. Although im convinced ill get lucky some day :( .Someone must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

I agree with Amz. how are you supposed to fall madly and deeply in love with someone you've only just met. anything else is just
    those nasty chemicals and hormones in your body acting up again

little buggerz

I dont believe in love at first sight, you really need to get to know someone first before you can tell if you like/love them or not anything else is just pure lust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Kambika

I agree completely. Dont think you can talk about love when you dont really know that person yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement