Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Esat Business 'free' modem

• 11-07-2003 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows what modem you get with the business DSL service. Is it any good? or should i be looking at getting one myself. (if its decent ill hold off till i got more money so i can go the full whack, if not ills crape together some money)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

They give you an Ericsson HM220. It's a very good modem/router. Info:

http://www.wii.ericsson.net/xdslterminals/products.asp?id=4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

Thanks eth0, appreciate it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bbsomeday

eth0, would you know which 4 port routers are be compatible with the Ericsson HM220 on the Esat Business network?
    I believe that Esat Business are using PPPoA, but I can only find a few routers with this protocol that dont cost the earth.
    The Alcatel Speedtouch 510 http://www.speedtouchonline.com/510e_datasheet.asp seems to meet these requirements?
    Others include the D-link 504 but I would prefer to make use of the Ericsson modem, and finally the Zxyel Prestige 643.
    If you have any ideas on the above or suggestions on compatible routers it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Deu

It is an ethernet modem so you don't need to set anything up on the router just give it the right ip details. It is just like pluging in to a hub or switch all you need to setup is the ip address netmask, broadcast, dns details and gateway.

Deu

Okay thanks Deu, so I can use any 4 port router, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

No, you need an "Ethernet Broadband Router" or any ethernet router for that matter. It won't be doing any fancy DSL crap as the modem does all that.

The router should have 2 ethernet ports and no DSL port and all ya do is stick in the IP they give ya and off ya go.

Firewalls are good too, but more costly. For business a Sonicwall Soho 3 will do up to 10 users and works a treat.

Paul

Hey Flamegrill thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

The reason I mention 4 port is because I wish to give 3 separate computers access to the broadband at the same time, which are not networked (and wont be) but have ethernet cards.

So am I correct in thinking that any 4 port ethernet router will do the trick? Would you have any suggestions on a make/model?. Thanks again!

Advertisement