Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

registering car owner and insurance

Options
  • 11-07-2003 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I just got a newer car, was wondering what is the situation with the law and insurance.

I intend to be named driver, my mother to be 1st driver.

As i will be paying for car, question is if I register car in my name, would an insurance company entertain us , herself as 1st driver, me as 2nd driver ?.
    If so, would there be a cost factor ?
    If not, is it better off reg in her name and reg it back when 1st yr insurance up ?

Or does a policy maintain that to be a 1st driver of car, you have to be registered owner ?
    Can anyone give guidance, legal eagles out there? :)
    thx in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by gurramok
    Hi,
    I just got a newer car, was wondering what is the situation with the law and insurance.

I intend to be named driver, my mother to be 1st driver.

As i will be paying for car, question is if I register car in my name, would an insurance company entertain us , herself as 1st driver, me as 2nd driver ?.
    If so, would there be a cost factor ?
    If not, is it better off reg in her name and reg it back when 1st yr insurance up ?

Or does a policy maintain that to be a 1st driver of car, you have to be registered owner ?
    Can anyone give guidance, legal eagles out there? :)
    thx in advance

Yes and Yes

They wont insure a car unless the policy owner is the registered owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭jamesd

My Fathers car is registered in my sisters name - My sister is not or never was insured on it.

I then bought this car off my father and insured it while still registered under my sisters name with no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No bother until there is a claim and then the insurance wont pay out. It is a condition of most insurances that the policy holder is the registetred owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by gurramok
    And hope you don't fall out with your mother .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Register the car in your mothers name, and put the policy in her name with you as a named driver.

If there's a crash with you driving: it's your mothers car, and you were driving- which you are more than entitled to do, as you're a named driver. No problems.
    Just make sure it's the only car your mother is insured on. i.e. she doesn't have another policy in her name.
    It's the only "legitimate" way around it. Legitimate, as in, they have absolutely no way of proving that you are the main driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    They wont insure a car unless the policy owner is the registered owner.

This only applies to Fully Comp though doesn't it? You can't insure someone else's risk, etc....

Surely you can get TPO on *any* car (providing obviously that you have permission to drive it)?

I think most insurance companies have also clamped down on people being insured on 2 cars and having a named driver on one.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Dad used to have brilliant insurance on the cars.

Fully comp cover for anybody given permission to drive them, including me:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This thread reminds me of something I would like to see -
    namely insurance to be re-intepreted. The driver, not the car should be insured that way so long as you have a policy you can drive anything.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭redneck

It should be done the way it is in most other country, ie the CAR is isured not the driver so any1 with a license and permission can drive any car, mainly cos they dont have the ridiculous problems of provisional licences, This has worked out good for me in the past and has allowed me to drive a brand new CLK in Germany at no cost to the owner or me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by redneck
    It should be done the way it is in most other country, ie the CAR is isured not the driver so any1 with a license and permission can drive any car, mainly cos they dont have the ridiculous problems of provisional licences

Yep that would do as well...

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement