Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slow internet connection

• 11-07-2003 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

i have a dial up connection is there anyways to speed it up some times i connected at 44kbs which is great but mostly 34kbs
    if i signed up two iol anytime would it make it better

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Not really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

the thing about dial up on a 56k using a phone line is that it for the most part is unpredictiable. i've worked on a couple of computers outside of the town where i live and is refered to as "the country" and one of the big things i've noticed is that the connection is awful. I on the other hand generally get a solid 49 - 52k connection where i live and so do others. I'm guessing that the line further out is more streatched out and may not be close to some sort of junction thus the crappy connection. although i have noticed that if i switch people from using the eircom dial up no to the iol dial up it seem to be a bit better but still is pretty crappy. Do you live far out from your town/city/village?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

get broadband notting like 512kbs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Who are you currently dialling up with?

I connect at 49.2 ot 50.6 every time with Esat/IOL. With Eircom I never get a connection higher than 33.6. I'm sure for a few people it's the other way around.

Probably worth trying one of the other free-as-in-you-pay-per-minute ISPs just to see if it makes any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

I used to always connect at 50-6 or 52000, sometimes higher at home. Then I was away for a while, came back months later. All I get is 21.something, typically 28.8, maybe 34.6 on a rare day.

Now, back in Dublin, I have used Eircom, and have gotten connections at 49.2. After around 10 minutes the connection just dies and a reconnect will put it to something in the twenties.

I don't know whether it's a ****ty line, or whether they just connect people at slower rates. Because on occasion I do get a higher speed dial up, I don't believe it's a ****ty line at fault.

At the moment I am waiting for the broadband guy to test me. On Eircom's computer the day after I got my line installed they said it failed, so an engineer would have to go to the exchange and check it there.

Anyone got any liklihood of my line passing for DSL? Does connecting in the city centre area (around Portobello) at **** modem speed = no chance of DSL because of cheap bad lines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Make sure you have no spliters or any other devices connected to your phone line.

That is to say, Make sure that the line from the back of the modem goes straight into the main box, with nothing else attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Actually now got the number for IOL Free, and am connecting at 49.2 or 50.6. Still getting bad 28.8 and 33.6 conns to Oceanfree, Eircom and E-Live. Must be bandwidth issues.

Advertisement