Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it bye bye Tayto?

Options
  • 12-07-2003 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

So layoffs in Tayto today. Because of competition with Walkers.

You wouldn't think they would make that much of an impact, their not any cheeper. So gone are the days of people coming back from holiday's and saying that the missed crisps the most.

I think Tayto need to hire some stars to advertise or do an add like watzits for Chickatees or one of them.

But then I think King are nicer anyway. (I know their the same company).

By the way haven't had any walkers crisps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They've had thier chips!

Sorry, what they have had is a slap in the face which they deserve. Walkers came saw and conquered, while Tayto did nothing to respond, as you say Elmo they need a few star names and a campiagn to go with them. Tayto are a textbook example of a dominant brand not being looked after by a complacent managment. Eircom next per chance...? :)

I find that I tend to buy Walkers these days....

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

They need a good hip marketing company to liven up the brand and do some promotions around the country as well.

They should really start pushing into the american . english and australian market to sell Taytos to those that are away from home for a while. Thats where theres mney to be made.

I think they need a fresh new taste or flavour as well as its been the same thing for decades now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Walkers ran an excellent campaign when they entered the Irish market. Lots of free product given out on the streets, multipacks were sold at a big discount* (about half the price they are now) for a few months. They got Roy Keane on board for the TV campaign and we all watched as he managed to screw Lineker out of a few bags of Walkers (Steve Redgrave is the only other person to "get" Lineker in an advert) - funny to boot. Their current GAA championship campaign with the golden boy is rather good as well.

Tayto need to react. They don't necessarily need a big name on board but they certainly need to develop the brand a little more than those "could eat crisps for Ireland"-type adverts. Even a silly-style campaign with a few idiots doing silly things to get their hands on a bag would do. I'm thinking a few plonkers trying to climb up a pole covered in treacle to get their paws on the bag on top, a Gladiator-type thing with a big guy saying to a little guy "you want your Tayto you're going to have to get through me" (little guy does), cartoon capers with an evil overlord who likes to steal taytos (like the old Fig Rolls campaign) and so on. Anything to push the Tayto brand by giving the impression that the product is wanted and valuable. Even an advert opening on a quiet potato field: "they take a year to grow. We carefully pick them, grade them, skin them" Cut to a Tim Burton-style overdone busy factory. Exciting dance music: "then we slice them up, fry 'em in hot oil and bag em" Close with Tayto logo. These "I'm an idiot and I eat Tayto" adverts (and we've not seen many of even those lately) don't work. If they stick with these crap adverts they'll go the way of coloured popcorn.

*discount as in cheap (not as in "below cost selling"). Walkers were making a loss on it. The supermarkets were still selling above cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The campaign for the Club Orange is pretty good, Tayto should be using that as a template.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by mike65
    The campaign for the Club Orange is pretty good, Tayto should be using that as a template.

Mike.
    egads - please, no more guys with orange hair and suspenders PLEASE!!

• Advertisement

He's right though. C&C aren't going the route of "buy us because we're Irish" in their Club adverts (they don't even mention the word "Irish" at all IIRC). They're trying to make a pretty staid product funky (which for some reason seems to be a fixture in the non-cola adverts: Tango, Irn Bru, Fanta). Their packaging is pretty dodgy to be honest (though better than it was before) but they're still making a go of it and their sales figures are rising to boot from what I hear. Potato crisps are about as boring a product as you could ever meet (excepting kitchen roll and toilet paper). Like the non-cola soft drinks, there's a taste difference but not a subatantial one. Any advertising of such a product needs to differentiate the product based on the advert, not on the actual product, creating a mystique or aura around the brand.

(now you can guess why I hate most advertising & marketing types with a vengeance - the lack of importance of the actual product. Meanwhile, Nash's orange whips them all into the ha'penny place, even though the only place I've ever seen it sold in 2L bottles is Tesco in Dooradoyle. The stuff doesn't appear to have ever been advertised)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tayto seem to only have brand awareness in Ireland because it's Irish, and they're the crisps we all grew up with.

But frankly, there's been no evolution. I don't eat them anymore, ever because they suck. the formula is still the same, and there's been very little development. "We have foil packed crisps now", Oh....uh...well done, 10 years late, but well done.

It'd be a shame to see the death of it, buts it's similar to Navan carpets. They never changed their formula, and got raped for it. They were known for high-quality, long-lasting carpets. Except that people don't want high-quality, long-lasting carpets any more. People want carpets that are cheap enough to replace when they redecorate every 5 years. Or wooden flooring which can be bought for half the price and can be replaced cheaply when it becomes worn.

It's another one of the Alice pardoxes - businesses need to keep running just to stay in the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

their sales are declining because taytos aren't as good as they used to be ...they're really thin and greasy now, you can see through them
    bleeargghhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

walkers crisps seem to look more aesthetically appealing, notice the way you can't see the grease on them and theres hardly any black marks? - Also, I cut my tooth on taytos the other week and i had to get a filling because of it, so **** tayto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

It'll be a damn shame to see another Irish company go to the wall .... but as was said already, it's down to mismanagement [on the PR side].

I can't believe that there will be no more of the Tayto christmas box [20 packs I think!!].

I have to say that my fav crisps are Hunky Dory Buffalo Flavour!! mmmmmmmmm :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I forgot Kettle Chips .... they are soooo flavoursome

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by PhatFiesta

Gorgeous. But they don't taste like buffalo ...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

So from what I have read above

"Its Like so totally uncool to be like so ****in Oirish, like oh my god"

But frankly, there's been no evolution. I don't eat them anymore, ever because they suck. the formula is still the same, and there's been very little development. "We have foil packed crisps now", Oh....uh...well done, 10 years late, but well done.

Emmme they have been foil pack for nearly 10 years now. And do I care if their foil packed. Also walkers just and the tag line better tasting crisps for the irish market.

Also I think Tayto might think about sponsoring The hurling added take over from Guinness. They could get about 5 years out of that before the health minister decides that junk food should not sponsor sports.

I prefer King. Sooooo GOOOOOOD.

How come KP haven't conquered.

No mike you have succumb to marketing. NOOOOOOOO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Walkers are *much* nicer than the crap they call Tayto crisps in the Republic of Ireland!
    Has anyone here tasted Tayto from the north? They're sooooo much nicer!

Originally posted by Elmo
    So from what I have read above

"Its Like so totally uncool to be like so ****in Oirish, like oh my god"
    I don't think anyone said that. What people have said, if I've read the posts correctly (it's certainly what I said) is that people aren't going to buy something just because it is Irish any more. There are those that will, but it's difficult to keep a company going on that, especially on a low-priced product like potato crisps.

Tayto don't have the money to take over GAA sponsorship from anyone unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Originally posted by PhatFiesta

I second that motion.....very hard to buy round here mind.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by seamus

I see Tayto to be one of the Top Brands in Ireland. This is a big asset.

They have a good product. Their core products are fine. Maybe they should get into more products in the snack area.

Tayto should push the "We're Irish" - Dunnes are doing this effectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Originally posted by mike65
    They've had thier chips!

Sorry, what they have had is a slap in the face which they deserve. Walkers came saw and conquered, while Tayto did nothing to respond, as you say Elmo they need a few star names and a campiagn to go with them. Tayto are a textbook example of a dominant brand not being looked after by a complacent managment. Eircom next per chance...? :)

Mike.

i was hoping to use the same line but anyway it looks like they've smoked their bacon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

I remember when Walkers came out first they were going around UL giving out free crisps by the box load.
    I hated them at first but after eating about 20+ packets of Walkers in one weekend I was hooked. I don't think I've bought a packet of taytos since.

Unless of course it's for a tayto sandwich. Somehow I can't imagine using walkers crisps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They actually have had huge management and industrial relations problems over the last few year at one point they were before an employment tribunal / the labour court on a monthly basis. Not even CIE are that bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement