Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The things boredom do to you

Options
  • 12-07-2003 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

Okay so staying away from the whole "what game are you playing now" thing, cause its already been done a few times, (tho im sure this has been done too)i got quite bored and thought id ask:

What are the 3 most influencial games youve ever played? Which ones made you choose the life of a gamer and say "F*ck the real world, this is what im talkin about!"
    for me it has to be

The secret of monkey island.
    Resident Evil 2
    Another World

Im old skool :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Old Skool you is not :)

3 games that consumed me were

1. Donkey Kong on Colecovision (with the weird phone joypad)
    2. Commando on 2600 ( played it for 19 hours convinced there was an edning alas there wasnt after beating it 19 times it just kept restarting)
    3 Crystal Castles on 2600 (OMG that was hard but one of the best games ever made).

They got me hooked but 1st game i actually owned was Missile Command.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

I guess it was probably Final Fantasy VII that made me decide to make my living from computer games... is that what you mean?

A

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

1) Flimbo's Quest (C64)
    2) Rayman (PS) - they have a handheld version (Palm, WinCE et al) now doncha know!

They're really the only games that I've spent hours on end playing. Got very near to the end of Flimbo once - I was sweating and shaking 'cos I didn't want to lose having got so far. But I lost :( And was so pissed off that I pretty much stopped playing it.

As for Rayman, I was doing well but once the sister got to the end before I did. I just didn't feel like playing it any more :mad:

So I'm not really a gamer...

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Wing Commander 1+2 and Privateer.
    also later on Command & Conquer original. Both played on a m8's PC.

It was becuase of Tiberian Sun that i first bought my own PC

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Doom on the PC - Original or what?? :eek:

Gran Turismo series on the PS1 + 2

Mario Kart on the SNES :D - Best game ever!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

i havent thought about wing commander 1+2 in years, jesus i used to while away hours on them, I always remember the intro for wc 2 what an intro for its time, god i still think ive got wc 1 o the hit squad label somewhere, must dig it out for old times sake, prolly wont run HMMPH

regards

Shin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1) Final Fantasy VII. This gets first place since it showed me just how far video games could go and also the influence it had on my leaving cert results
    2) Street Figther 2. The first game I played religiously.
    3) R-type. First game I ever played when I sneaked out to play it in the local arcade (some reason my parents think that video games are evil or at least thats how I see there reactions)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

1. Pacman

The first game I ever got addicted to. This pill munching Jekyl and Hyde character got me hooked on the whole gaming drug. Caused my thumb to get sore in the winter when it's cold thanks to the Atari 2600's controller.

2. Doom

I devide my time mostly between stategy and fps. If not for Doom, I probably wouldn't be getting aroused at news of HL2 and Doom3

3. Frontier - Elite 2

While this game sucked me into it's 3d world initially. (3d was relatively new to the Amiga 500 at the time) it was the trading aspect that opened my eyes to the idea that financial transactions could actually be fun. This further led to my love of Civ2 and 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

As a soft core Gamer I was enticed into the dark side by Elite on my Acorn Electron.

Mind you I used to get those Casio games all the time when I was even younger remember them? Great fun they were. Popeye, donkey kong and much much more!*

No additives or preservatives

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Several platformers, puzzle games and DuckHunt on my cousins' C64s.
    SF2, Cannon Fodder, Defender, Desert Storm, Flashback, Frontier (got it with Micro Machines for my A600 one christmas), Zool, Putty, Walker on the Amiga.
    Doom, System Shock, Command&Conquer, Mordor (Shareware Windows GIU interface horrible piece of muck shareware masterpiece demo), Commander Keen and a plethora of others on the PC.

There have been many, many more.

Games which have sparked my love for gaming time and time again:
    Halflife, doom, Giants, Hostile Waters, Quake, Flashpoint, Iwar2, Civ series, Ground Control and again a shitload more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Firefox

Jetpac and Cookie on the ZX Spectrum. Used to just love putting those Rockets Toghether!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

God now im remembering so many other classics that got me started on the road to gamer geekdom *L*
    Doom was such a classic, and syndicate on the amiga, man that rocked. Street fighter 2 (i played nothing but that game for an entire year) Ah, memories :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

lemmings (gwan dma)
    gta3 (gwan some more, dma!)

super metroid (gnnnn, must get 100%!!!)
    wolfenstein 3d (i must've played through the shareware version 40 times:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

1)The fist game i ever played was chase hq
    2) sonic the hedgehog
    3) street fighter 2
    those were the days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

First game I played for hours on end was jet set willy but the most influential three were probably:

street fighter 2 - bounced off school an unbelievable amount just to play that down the arcades
    final fantasy 7
    Operation flashpoint

The game that cost most cash would have to be the arcade ridge racer with the clutch and manual gears. Played it most days for months at a quid a go. That and sega rally cost me a small fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

quake 3 got me into pcs, im sitll tryin to get out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Space Invaders
    Pacman
    <
    Doom
    <
    Tetris
    Adventure
    Super Mario Bros
    Legend of Zelda
    Street Fighter 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Civ
    Quake
    Elite
    Duke Nukem 3d
    Monkey Island 2
    Ultima 7
    Planescape Torment
    BG2
    Super Mario Bros
    Zelda
    Dune
    Settlers
    Sim City
    Hired Guns
    Street Fighter 2
    Trick Or Treat (Amiga shareware game)
    Gravity Force 2 (Amiga shareware game)
    Chronotrigger
    Gunstar Heroes
    Sonic 2
    Rygar (on the NES)
    Gauntlet
    Syndicate
    Toonstruck (made me believe in motion capture again)
    Nights
    Golden Axe
    Streets Of Rage
    Duck Hunt.

:D a lot and there are loads more just as influential on me being a gamer. But I sure did love my gaming as a kid. :) Oh and The Two Towers has revived my love for simple arcade type games. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

CIV 1 (since the day i played that i bought every single one includeing call to power etc etc etc)

command and conquer (my love of rts started here)

wing commander on the snes (same as civ had every one)

OH GOD I NEED A LIFE! :)

oh ya Star trek bridge commander got me into clan,s and online gameing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Any one remember a game called Rise of the Triads?
    Bloody brilliant game if you ask me, so much to do some much to get done to you :D
    ''God''mode ''Doggie mode'' ah that game was so cool and the weapons were all rocket launcher based (well most)but so many different types. Absolutley loved that game!!

• Advertisement

Hated that games!!!! ROTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Duke Nuken 3D was deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Right, 3 games that obsorbed more of my time than any other game I've played...
    1) Super Mario Bros. The one that got me started, so that's warented some number on this top 3.
    2)Goldeneye. Graphics were of a real inviroment, & I don't need to go on about the immersiveness of it all. For me, hasn't been a game like it.
    3)Super Mario Kart. For crying out load, I'm still playing that game

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

1) Mario Kart (Snes)
    2) CJ in the U.S.A. (C 64)
    3) Donkey Kong Country (Snes)

Its good to see Mario Kart being represented!! There was a retro gaming competition in Dundalk IT a few months back with just Mario Kart and SF2.... More of these events should be held I think! I was cheated of a win let it be said too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Most people will say that mario kart is one of the best games ever , it's timeless , i still play it lots, although mario kart 64 kinda stincks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Len_007
    2)Goldeneye. Graphics were of a real inviroment, & I don't need to go on about the immersiveness of it all. For me, hasn't been a game like it.
    I'll name 3.
    System Shock.
    Half-life.
    Deus Ex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

I'm another mario kart fan. I played it to death on the snes way-back-when, and it was the reason i bought a game boy advance after playing it on my mates one. And the cause of much procrastination about studying this year. Now come december it could make me buy a gamecube...
    Also tetris, bust a move, gran turismo(have you seen the screen shots for gt4? mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:D :D:D ) and others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

'Gauntlet' on the old C64
    'Tie-Fighter'
    'Lemmings'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Zool Zool Zool Zool Zool!!!!

THANKYOU!!! ive been trying for years to remember then name of that little black Amiga 500 alien platformer, all i could think of were chupa chups lolli pops in the background!!!

Shadow of the Beast 2, another great amiga game, 13 levels of paralax scrolling had me going ooh and awww, and the best ever (at the time) intro too!! big dragon ripping the roof off his house, killing his wife to a blood curdling scream and stealing the baby!!!

Syndicate, what a game, seriously cool.

Birds of Prey flight sim based on dessert storm!

Shinobi, loved the wolf.

Moonstone!!! Knights kicking dragons asses, it was a seriously funny two player game too :) wish i still had it!

Ikari warriors

Operation wolf in the arcade and top gun, sega rally and the old wireframe 3d starwars flight sim.

Halflife is my most played to date, recently bought op flashpoint is good too.

Most fun console game is Mario Kart 64 on the N64. I still play that sometimes.

Turriken (i think thats what it was called?) on my old amstrad 464.

im sure il think of more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Dizzy - C64
    Barbarian - C64

Operation Wolf - Arcade
    Shinobi - Arcade
    And some other ninja one, I think 3 people could play, they were kinda ninja robots - you had two knives and shuriken as well... ah I can't remember the name!! Anyone?

Golden Axe - Megadrive
    Syndicate - Megadrive

Doom - PC
    Wolfenstein 3D - PC
    Rise Of The Triads - Hilarious! - PC

Advertisement