Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children's cartoons

Options
  • 12-07-2003 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

What was everyone's favourite? I always loved bosco, til one of the presenters got fired because they were doing art and turned to the camara, sniffed the glue and said "MMMm kids, doesn't that glue smell good??!".......after that I REALLY loved Bosco. But the reason I wrote this was to see if i imagined a particular cartoon. Does anyone else remember that cartoon with all the monsters like vampires, a zombie and some swamp thingy that liked pizza and they were in school.....mighta been called "Monster High". no one else ever emembers that one.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

that sounds oddly familiar, though i may be confusing parts of it with "swamp thing"...which rocked btw.

And so few people here remember ulysses31...pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

'Twas Monster High. The teacher was normal. And it had the girl with snake hair.

Ah it sure was a classic.

Oh and Aoife, presuming it's you, good work on coming up with a decent thread. Better than all these godless heathens have been doing. Tis a really old sk00l CTYI thread.

Like the one that was here a month or two back. But yeah... Nobody remembers Captain N? <sniff> or what about CAPTAIN EAGLE!? or those creepy vampire things on TCC...

Hmm... on second thoughts move this to retro :D :ninja:

... <troll>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

Bosco was amazing. His house! It was huge inside but from the outside it looked small! Also I recall watching that Monster High thing, and then the ninja turtles. I could go on but I'm sure all the same stuff has been said by me in all things retro. But bosco was the first thing I saw on television. Now they show this big bear who smells children. You smell good today...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Anyone remember Sharky and George? It fascinated and disturbed me at the same time, twas very dark and spooky for a four year old. I used to get up at 6 on some days just to watch it. Strange Times,
    Bosco rocked, of course.
    X MEN CARTOON!!@#!!

AND SESAME STREET!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Squeee

AAARGH! How did you know Sven???! Perhaps it was the GIR quote along with the picture of Harley Quinn..... So it's because of your inteligence that other people know who I am. And there I was blaming goatboy. You're going to edit this, aren't you Neil? Hee hee, Neil eats flowers. He knows what I'm talking about. And I've been informed that the Name of that cartoon was "Gravedale High".
    One problem with the X-men films is, while I adore them, you've now got a generation of children growing up knowing only the films, without experiencing the wonders of the cartoons and comics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

The Fonzy guy in Gravedale High was a vampire! His leathery wings were part of his leather jacket! Genius.

Oh, I remember Captain N. I spent hours fiddling with the TV to get it the right kind of snowy so it'd suck me into my NES like Captain N (the Games Master, I might add) in the opening titles. I was also confused why no-names like Kid Icarus and Castlevania Whippy Bloke got starring roles while Mario and Link and people were nowhere in sight.

Not a cartoon, but Wurzel Gummage scared me stupid, especially that big wax figure of him that was in this resteraurant in the Ilac Centre...

EDIT: while trying to remember Captain Eagle I instead remember the amazingly American Roger Ramjet and his Eagles (young kids in stupid costumes piloting planes, even when I was little I found them embarrassing).

Captain Eagle took a pill that gave him the strength of TEN AtOM BOMBS!

Oh and Aoife, it could've been Jenny or liz too. I just looked at the time of post and realised they were in Santry at the time. SO I WAS INDEED FAR MORE INTELLIGENT THAN YOU REALISED! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

etc...

... just realised. Captain Eagle MAY have been Roger Ramjet. Sounds like the show... memory's a bit dodgy atm though... but it was a GREAT show if you took it all as a big joke. :D Almost Pythonesque if you look at it in the right light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

i loved the x-men cartoon. gambit was cool.

whatchacallit...em...FRAGGLE ROCK!! god i loved that show. dance your cares away (clap clap) worries for another day, let the music play (clap cap) down in fraggle rock.

howya aoifey m'love. it is your mongoosedog. YOU STILL HAVEN'T FED MEEEE!! :mad:

CHLOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! I miss you muffin!!!! Come to Blanchardstown on Saturday! If you don't I shall hunt you down and slay you and anyone who looks like you!(that means your sisters....and hugh for his facial expressions)..........right after I return from Blanchardstown...... <pitiful sigh> There's a terrifying amount of love triangles consisting of 4 or 5 people each going on down there right about now.....and for some reason I always find out about them......foolish humans with your weak human trust! There's no way I appear trust-worthy. I've attempted to hit people with rolled-up news papers on occasions. With someone like that, do you trust them or roll over goddammnit??!

Ooh-ooh-ooh. I remeber a cartoon movie that I saw as a young boy. At the time, I did not realise it was animé. Nor did I realise it was hentai. Any-who I only say a breif period of it where this giant man who was taller then skyscrappers was attacking all these office blocks. Suddenly, nine... thingys emerged from him and he started whipping all the buildings. Many people died.

And so began the road of mind-warping.

• Advertisement

OMFG i just remembered gravedale high!!!

x-men owned. many a time have i had this conversation, cus i love it soo much.

and braveheart. how i loved braveheart.

and mask. OMFG mask owned!

gawd, i could go on for hours bout cartoons...cept now i'm drifting into the realms of nostalgia. Gah.

no one else remembers shazaam. it was never shown here. dont even know how we got a tape of it.

Also aoife, i would edit you for fun, but Jen would kick my ass. and also i would probably not even get to put my arms around her for a a few hours in revenge. damn you two and your sisterly bond :P

Damn right she would jenny's boy. I can completely abuse my power! Mwahaha! Nah, I don't suppose I will. And maybe she won't take away your perks, maybe she'll just knee you in the crotch again!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I remember Sharky and George! Crimebusters of the Sea, etc. Does anyone remember Darkwing Duck? "I am the Terror that Flaps in the Night..." (see my avatar thing or whatever the hell its called)

damnit aoife, stop undermining all my authority :D

I don't suppose anyone remembers the Super Mario Bros. Super Show? It was really good. Oh the adventures of Mario taking his magic mushrooms to make him really big. And then eating that weird plant that made him shoot FIRE!!!!. How could you not like the way fire came from his hands? I assume the Mario concept was originaly written by complete stoners.

YAY STONERS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

i'd roll over, aoifey. :p
    i can't come to blanchardstown, i havta do stuff. i'll come up next week fer definite though. :)

yay sharkey and george.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

All those cartoons rocked. I remember shaazam. I got some weird tape of it... off some guy... somewhere... sometime. Anyway, that's a different story. I'm gone. I've left. Goodbye to CTYI for another year, unless I get off my hole and get the bus in to at least some of the reunions this year, which I definitely will.

Originally posted by Zukustious
    I don't suppose anyone remembers the Super Mario Bros. Super Show? It was really good. Oh the adventures of Mario taking his magic mushrooms to make him really big. And then eating that weird plant that made him shoot FIRE!!!!. How could you not like the way fire came from his hands? I assume the Mario concept was originaly written by complete stoners.

YAY STONERS!

I have a three hour tape of it somewheres... (It doesn't have the unconvincing "real life" Mario segments, unfortunately, but you can still watch him "Do the Mario" over the end credits, degrading himself and his family for millenia to come. Fun!)

"Swing your arms from left to right
    Come on it's time to go
    DO THE MARIO!"

IT WAS A CLASSIC! Legendary!

But yes... it was demeaning... teehee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Grave Dale High was cool, I'm so old I can actually rememeber most of the story lines. YEah the Vampire Kid rocked.

As for Shazaam, that was the Genie who they summonded by putting the rings together, that was on TCC.

Does anyone remember the sort of blob cartoon end thingymmbob at the closedown of TCC every night? And the Ugly bug ball, they used to show sometimes at closedown.

OF course most peeps here are to young to remember Tundercats, or COPS, with the cypernetic dog and the bad women who wore lipstick that made people fall asleep.\

Ah, so many hours watching those cartoons, oh does anyone at all remember the Philius Fog Around the World In 80 Days, where they were all animals? I would have been like 4 or some thing.

SESAME STREET, who can forget how to get there, I remember the episode where the old black news-stand guy had died the day before so the cast explained death and loss, and big bird kept crying.
    (on a funnier note: Has anyone else seen the episode of Family Guy where there was the cross over of Sesame Street and NYPD Blue, so funny)

Jesus, was about to use a word I didn't want to use, then remembered that kids TV program, on TCC where if you said a paticular word you got covered in slime, damn what was that.

BTW: KIDs TV today sucks, all the Amanda Show, Nicalodean (never mind the bloody spelling) has abandoned its Clarrisa Days, and has sold its soul to the conformaty market.

Those Animaniacs were pretty cool too. Two guys one girl. The guys continuosly trying to get some with a naughty nurse. They were pretty wacky. And one of them didn't wear any pants.

Not ALL kids tv sucks these days......there's invader zim!!! And I remember that around the world in 80 day thingy. I loved it. I'm pretty sure i'm not hallucinating. Does anyone remember that programme, some group of kids were searching for some lost city of gold. One of them had a stick with a cloth tied round the end to carry things in, like they always do in cartoons. Why is that so hard to attempt in reality??? I think that cartoon mighta been called "The lost city of Gold" or something highly, erm, abstract like that..... hard to see the connection. And I used to love Dark wing Duck. Brilliant. I remember the decay of TCC when they had such god awful presenters and they lost all their best cartoons. A sad day.:(

COPS! Egads, I had forgotten its majesty! Dun, dun, dunne-de-dun, COPS!, *dramatic broody noises*. When I was ickle I used to get confused at the end when they listed all the bad guys under the header "The COPS most wanted!" My logic ran that since they were the baddies, surely they'd rather get rid of them? I was ver' ickle.

Kids TV is great. Invader Zim is wasted on anyone under 12, like the Tick and Earthworn Jim were, but still, Angry Beavers, Powerpuff Girls, Spongebob Squarepants, The Rottentrolls ("Am I still a berk?" = classic) and Samurai Jack are the Angry Man's nads.

Originally posted by lordsippa
    "Swing your arms from left to right
    Come on it's time to go
    DO THE MARIO!"

IT WAS A CLASSIC! Legendary!

But yes... it was demeaning... teehee.

The best bit is at the end, when he tries to strike a pose and almost falls over, and they kept it in the final edit. Genius.

His foot stumbled! THAT WAS IT MAN! :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Well, I'll give you Zim, as it rocks, but don't think its actually a kids cartoon. Its a cartoon, but it think its because there is no JTHM cartoon. Its JTHM Lite, with out the murder.

The Lost City of Gold, and there was the big gold bird plane, with all the super advanced technology and levers and death rays etc... and the comic relief guy had a parrot.

No, Spongebob Squarepants is crap, I'm sorry just my opinion, but its so stupid. People's IQ points drop while watching it I'm sure.

SPOON! Ah The Tick, what a great cartoon. So brilliant, so unappricated, so sad thats its gone.

Fear is the little death, fear is the mind killer. Peter, Princesse Whats her Name, Queen Slug for a Butt, Psycrow, Proffessor Monkey for a Head. And of course Jim. All those poor poor cows.

Yeah the animanics were good, but I'm more of old WB fan. Road runner etc.

OH YEAH! The tick was the greatest. I enjoyed it very much and I nearly forgot about it there. Man that cartoon was my favourite at the time! I can hardly remember much about it now, so I better go get meh memory refreshed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Wasn't a cartoon BUT: LIVE ACTION TICK!¬@~!"!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

I've got a cd of episodes of it with me if you want richard. they're not all top quality, but they're watchable.
    and TV3 are showing the live action tick at 1 or 2 am on tuesday nights... I *think*...
    I dunno if i have the time & date right, or even if they're still showing it.
    Hoorah for losing touch with the outside world.

Advertisement