Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PATA to SATA converters

Options
  • 12-07-2003 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if you can get PATA to SATA converters in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

maplins, peats or just order them online.
    What are you trying to do exactly?
    connect an IDE drive to a sata controller ont he board or vice versa?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I want to put an ATA133 drive on the SATA controller. I'm not happy with the performance of the disk on IDE. Rang Maplins and they're looking for €45 for it. Think I might just get an SATA drive for €120 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by ding
    I want to put an ATA133 drive on the SATA controller. I'm not happy with the performance of the disk on IDE.
    If anything it'll perform worse. the PATA - to - SATA converter is a serialiser, converts parallel chunks into streams. There will be an additional performance hit.
    I assume your driveis a Maxtor? What controller are you using? Do you have the latest drivers for the controller? ATA133 is a proprietary standard developed by Maxtor.
    Rang Maplins and they're looking for €45 for it. Think I might just get an SATA drive for €120 instead.

That might be an idea :)
    Course, the sATA drives on the market are generally just the manufacturers PATA drives with the serialiser thrown in. A pure sATA drive will cost a bit more (don't know why, if anything there are less components involved).
    Why not just keep the ATA1333 drive for storage and get yourself a second hand scsi setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

If anything it'll perform worse. the PATA - to - SATA converter is a serialiser, converts parallel chunks into streams. There will be an additional performance hit.

Yeah it looks like your right there. Should have given you a bit more info.
    W2K SP3
    A78NX deluxe.
    XP2400 stock
    1 x 512 PC2100 CL2 ram.
    1 x 60 GB MAXTOR ATA133.

There's a few issues. Seemly Nforce IDE drivers are rubbish and its recommended to use MS ide drivers? I updated the IDE to use default MS drivers
    I'm using a PCI vodoo 3000 untill my new Radeon 9700np comes which the mb does not like anyway. I'm not sure if the PCI grapics card is affecting things?

Anyway I upgraded the mb recently from a MSI KT266 pro which supports ATA100 and it seemed to preform better. I also had Radeon 9100 on it but sold it to buy the 9700. I was looking at
    this maxtor sata drive which looks ok and will probably get for root drive? The question is on whether the pci 16mb video card is affecting the performancev of the HDD which I'm not sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Be very carefull with this trick as in some cases it leads to loss of data, so i would not keep anything important on the disk.
    It should really only be used if you have used all your 4 ports for disk and you need to put on more.!! or in some cases to get RAID, but even bigger chance of loosing data here!

• Advertisement
Advertisement