Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History

Options
  • 12-07-2003 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Just on a side point to the whole WERE FINISHED!!!

Everyone I seemed to talk to seems to have studied history by learning off loadsa essays, and hoping they come up.

Me and my friend learned off the info, and formed the essays on the day, is that really that unusual?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Its what I did, but the system doesnt really encourage it. All modesty aside, I know for a fact I knew the most history (and was more interested in it) of anyone in my class, but I didnt get the best results, because I preferred to learn the information instead of the essays. I know people who got A's because they learned it off paragraph by paragraph and that pisses me off a bit, actually.

The leaving cert does not promote education, really. Just rhyming off.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Yeah, I was thinking of this yesterday.

If they ever try to put something on a paper that you have to actually think about, there is always uproar, like its not on the course, it was mis-leading, they hadn't done that.

The Lc examinors are between a a rock and a hard place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Me and my friend always learned off the info and we always got the best marks in the class, so we're hoping the same will happen for the leaving :D

The real skill I learnt in history was working essays at incredible speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

yeah i agree phb colating info etc at high speed
    i think if ur interested in it like i was you just know the info, i fuppin heate the words "off by heart" dammit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

its my firm belief that todays students dont learn a subject, they learn how to manipulate the exams.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

prime example
    my jc ord irish exam essy was so learnt of that 13! yes 13 of the same essy were handed in.... all of us going to see chean rádio.

hee hee hee

(I GOT A D!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

well i read da stuff and got me a1 :p deres hope for us non-learner-offers yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i gots me a1 in history throught learning the timelines.... like knowing in which order things happened. de-lighted with me history...

and well done ella minnow pea... and we were brickin it before hand!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 PurplePainter

I took up history in Bruce college at like... christmas of 5th year.. I decided to drop music because it was across the city in the evenings and took away from my study times, between flute lessons, theory classes, and practical practise etc... So with all that anyway, I was put into the 6th year History class (dont ask me why.. timetables I guess) and I was totally lost.. I was sitting with two lovely guys why helped me get into the swing of it (probably because they were walking history books and took pity on me) but I still really havent a clue. now the mystery of all this is, at the end of last year when I got moved into a 5th year class (I asked in then end, cos it was much smaller.. like 7 students) I got the highest points in the exams.. now lots of the kids really really know there stuff in their history.. I mean, they can quote their Michael collins documentaries, know all these declarations and treaties off by heart, out of pure interest in the subject. I however havent a clue ... I really dont.. I might as well be born in venezuela ... I mean sure I have learned it over the year now.. and spat out some very impressive blurb about hitler and mussolini (which I learned off from my JUNIOR CERT rapid revision) and got 87%.. this shows us clearly that is is the essay's learned-off ness and book-likeness that counts .

Does anyone think that History is just Themed English... it is .. I mean the whole exam is essays, and it seems to me that the structure is really more important than the content when it comes down to it.. call me a skeptic... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

I dropped Chemistry at the end of 5th year, now studying History.

Tips appreciated :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement